Double glazing - do you still get condensation?

(65 Posts)
sammydavis Wed 16-Jan-13 07:59:37

Trying to get a handle on whether 'modern' double glazing (as opposed to say 10-20year old double glazing, sash windows, crittall windows, single glazing etc) is a barrier to condensation - leaving aside clothes on radiators, ventilation, water from breathing, bathing, drinking and general existing.

How old is your double glazing and do you still have to wipe up condensation in this weather?

Anyone beaten condensation and would attribute it to new double glazing? Which brand or product did you go for?

Anyone find it didn't make a difference?

AbleAir Wed 18-Sep-13 22:30:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:05:49

Someone in our family's bought a new build house and the extractor fans in the kitchen, utility, 4 bathrooms all run 24/7. Luckily they are silent.

Is this now standard practice?

comingintomyown Sun 20-Jan-13 13:49:52

Ha ha OP just how rude are you I thought I was on AIBU for a moment

digerd Sun 20-Jan-13 13:28:01

When I close the curtains in front of patio doors, in the morning there is some condensation lower down - metal framed 50 years old-, only in the winter. I drew the curtains back, so that the warmer air of the room could get to them, and low and behold - no condensation. The new UPVC patio doors are thicker and don't fit the opening, so rather than have the wall knocked down to make the opening bigger, I left them as they were.
I do not get condensation on the inside of my front windows as is a bungalow and the sofits overhang and protect. The back is a flat roof extension so no overhanging roof also open to fields and a canal and is always colder outside than the front.

CocoNutter Sun 20-Jan-13 11:08:27

I leave my windows slightly open all the time, and still get really bad condensation in our bedroom every night (think absolutely dripping, can't see out of them all day). If I have to dry washing in the house I always put it in the small bedroom with the dehumidifier on - I never dry it in our bedroom.

Accidentally left the heating on all night last night and for the first time that I can remember during winter we have no condensation this morning!!

FergusSingsTheBlues Sat 19-Jan-13 19:31:07

We dont get much condensation thanks to 4m high ceilings, my obsession with airing the house and religious airing of bathroom after showers even when freezing outside. But when we put in secondary glazing, the condenation disappeared from the rooms where we put it. Hth.

Badvoc Sat 19-Jan-13 18:54:53

Well i have old dg at the back if my house and newer at the front - only 5 years old.
Both get condensation, the older windows worse.
When i was a child we didnt have dg and git condensation.
Its not really something you can avoid
Perhaps purchase a dehumidifier?

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 15:46:45

I know, but I was horrified the first time I opened my curtains as thought it was on the inside of the 2 pains, and it was like looking at thick mist in the garden instead of my lovely view. It was in January 2008. Don't look anymore as leave the curtains closed until later in the morning.

0blio Fri 18-Jan-13 20:43:29

Glad to hear new windows helped your problem digerd.

I've been warned about the condensation on the outside of the glass by the window company. They say it's a good sign.

digerd Fri 18-Jan-13 18:21:59

My bedroom was always the worst, but always shut the door to keep heat in. Only me in the bed on the other side from window. Assumed it was my breathing as bedroom is small, compared to other people's. But realise I should keep door open. The modern convector radiators are better at drying the humidity than the old flat panel rads.

throckenholt Fri 18-Jan-13 16:02:29

We get condensation on the bottom of bedroom windows - not a big in itself, but it puddles on the windowsill and often gets forgotten and it not doing the windowsills any good sad

No way round it that I know since I can't stop people breathing all night !

EricNorthmansFangBanger Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:06

We used to have single glazed windows. Very old and rattling single glazed windows. The amount of condensation everywhere was ridiculous. There used to be puddles of water on the window-sill every single morning without fail. The house was freezing.

Then we got double glazed windows everywhere. House still gets nippy. Condensation on windows is minimal and some days we don't have any. Our problem now though is mould. I will admit that we have been lax in the airing out of the house, so trying to improve on that I just really dislike the cold We also have some water marks on the wall and have been told it's due to condensation and we need insulated board put up in the loft. So there has been a big positive to the condensation problem but it's left us with some mould problems. BIL used to own this house before we did and MIL goes on about BIL never having problems with mould before but that was due to the single glazed windows and the fact it was like living outside before we got the double glazed windows.

digerd Fri 18-Jan-13 12:57:24

Also found that closing the curtains at night in the bedroom, caused more condensation than in the bedroom with curtains not drawn.

lisianthus Fri 18-Jan-13 00:14:20

Hi Sammy, just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. I've been wondering about this as well (as have all the other people with their own problems with condensation who have joined in). Sorry you've had people join in to patronise you then get snotty when you have been frustrated with that rather than being "appropriately grateful".

Thanks to PaperFlowers and her interesting info re Finnish windows!

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 17-Jan-13 23:27:24

It's not fishy, more like a roast dinner type smell. Will bleed a radiator and see. If it does smell the same then does that mean there is a leak somewhere in the system? Would that then require a plumber to locate and sort?

Busy weekend of diy for me my DH!

PigletJohn Thu 17-Jan-13 23:23:18

might poss be a leak

bleed a radiator onto a bit of kitchen towel and sniff it, see if it's the same.

hot electrical accessories smell fishy. could it be that?

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 17-Jan-13 23:11:28

Thanks for reply.
It's a 1950s semi. We do have a meter so will check it out. The house was empty for 18months before we moved in - would that make a difference? And the seal on a couple of the panes has gone - would that make a difference?
I'll get the bath panel out to check under it as the window in there is always condensed (when nothing has been on).

Since you're on the thread - I'll hijack and ask a quick boiler question - ours is about 10 years old and every few months we get a funny smell coming from the boiler cupboard that lasts a few hours and then goes. It's like a garlic/cooking vegetable smell. We had a boiler engineer out who cleaned and seviced it all and found nothing (he suggested maybe a dead mouse!!) and we had National Grid out to check for leaks and were given the all clear. Any ideas? The house was rewired when we moved in so don't think it is an electrical issue.

PigletJohn Thu 17-Jan-13 22:29:16

GentlyGentlyOhDear

if you are already ventilating, and controlling the usual sources of condensation then it might be that you have an additional, less common source of moisture in your home.

this often a plumbing or rainwater leak, it might be from a pipe under the floor such as a radiator pipe of a leaky main, or from an appliance or under the bath or shower.

It could well be felt on top of the bay window. felt does not last long. See if you can get lead or EDPM (rubber). If it has been leaking you will need to replace the board, preferably in WBP ply.

If you tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to a wall or ceiling, you will see if it is condensation (wet on the room side) or penetrating (water on the wall side).

How old is your house, and have you got a water meter? meters show up leaks as they never stop turning.

DialsMavis Thu 17-Jan-13 21:27:53

Until recently I have always lived in homes with double glazing, never new houses though. My past 3 houses have been 90-150 years old. I now live in a 30's semi with original windows at the front and old aluminium (I think!) double glazing at the back. The old double glazing gets a tiny bit of condensation on cold mornings, the original wooden windows are streaming every morning, if we don't keep the heating on overnight the water is dripping off the window sills onto the carpet below, it is horrendous! We moved here to save £ and I think the £200pcm saving will be completely over ridden by the gas bill as the boiler is so old and the windows so draughty, my old house was gorgeous and this one is an 80's monstrosity.....wahhhh

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 17-Jan-13 21:14:42

We're really struggling with condensation in upstairs rooms. I have a tumble drier so don't have any wet washing in the house, I have a dehumidifier on and have my bedroom window ajar, yet on cold mornings I have a huge bay window streaming with condensation. We've started to get mould on the celiling of the bay window too.
Where can all of the moisture be coming from? Is it jst because we have huge windows? They practically go the width of the external wall. Could the felt on top of the bay window need replacing? Would that have any effect? I just can't understand where all the moisture is coming from confused

KatyMac Thu 17-Jan-13 20:16:59

grin

I think either a vent into the loft or a positive flow ventilation system

We'll see

PigletJohn Thu 17-Jan-13 20:15:26

there would be a lintel above the window, don't drill there.

I suppose you could put it to one side (not directly above a bath or shower)

or I think use a ducted one in the loft and let the duct exit where it's not above the conservatory

Or, you could drill through the wall above the conservatory, and put a ladder through the hole made by the falling brick grin

KatyMac Thu 17-Jan-13 20:10:22

Hmm, that would have to be above the window I guess - I'd worry about drilling the home I think

PolterGoose Thu 17-Jan-13 19:33:26

KatyMac, if you positioned an extractor so that the external duct came out within reach of the window you could reach out to glue on the vent as well as seal it with exterior silicone. Our 2 new extractors just have a piece of drain pipe through the hole and the vent fits very nearly on the end.

KatyMac Thu 17-Jan-13 19:13:30

Thanks PigletJohn - the dishwasher died in the flood last November & is on 'saving up for' & the bathroom wall/window is above a large conservatory....which can't be climbed on sad & I don't want to drop a brick through it either wink

It's the loft/eaves thing I need to get my head around - in my last house a positive flow ventilation system worked wonders but the ceilings were higher & I didn't notice and cold air coming in....I think I might in this house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now