Should I put a shower downstairs? Whatcha think?

(12 Posts)
Sunnyshores Sat 26-Jan-13 20:58:27

Assuming you dont have to traipse from the back door through the house to get to the room.... if you can put a reasonable quality shower cubicle in, or better still a wet room type area, then I'd definitely do that. I doubt if it will add value as such, but makes it more saleable. With 2 outdoorsy kids and a dog its an essential for us, otherwise I'd be weekly cleaning the carpets.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Jan-13 16:23:09

I think the downstairs shower is very handy. You need a good powerful extractor to suck the steam out, and to have an enclosed area outside the cubicle for towelling off and dressing, with a mirror and shelves, and a seat if there's room.

One day you, or a family member, might have a broken leg or become frail, and unable to scamper upstairs.

It's also handy for hosing off a muddy dog or person without spreading it round the house.

wendybird77 Wed 09-Jan-13 15:56:12

Yes, I was just having this conversation with the plumbers yesterday. I will certainly get a boiler that can cope with two. I couldn't bare spending this much money on new boiler only to have crappy water problems - it would enrage me over time grin

Arithmeticulous Wed 09-Jan-13 11:17:49

Keep the flexibility - also make sure the boiler can run two showers or shower+bath at same time. Or- put in an electric shower so that if/when the boiler goes, you still have hot water.

wendybird77 Wed 09-Jan-13 10:28:46

Having had a sleep on it, I think the way forward is to keep the storage plan. As there is currently a bath where the cupboard will go, I'll just have them keep the plumbing there so it will be easy to add a shower down the line if we need one. Flexibility and all that!

Bearcat Tue 08-Jan-13 19:52:37

We've got a downstairs loo with a lovely big shower in it, but hardly ever use it.
It always feels bloody freezing when you open the glass doors of it when you've finished.
The steam makes the wallpaper peel off.
There's no bath mat in there, so you really need to dry your feet before you get out.
It just makes a mess in there really. We have considered removing it and putting some storage there.
Mind you, I do say to DH now that if it comes to a time in the future when we can't manage the stairs, we could pretend we live in a bungalow and live downstairs!grin

PolterGoose Tue 08-Jan-13 19:37:48

You could have the plumbing and wiring prepared ready to make it easy to install a shower in the future but have a big cupboard for now. That way the messy work is done now but you have the option if you change your mind.

wendybird77 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:02:47

Yes, I wondered about teens. I wouldn't use it and don't like a shower in the 'guest' cloak room - too much pressure to have it clean all the time. Overnight guests isn't a problem as there is a shower in the annex which is where guests stay (sounds grand, but is converted garage). The only reason I am considering it is teens (2 DSs currently under 4) and house value. Is one family bathroom enough?

cantspel Tue 08-Jan-13 17:46:47

we have a downstairs shower room and it is a good send with 2 teens in the house.

weegiemum Tue 08-Jan-13 16:21:53

We have 2 showers and love it with dh, me and dd1 wanting one every morning. Ds is also getting to "that age" - currently he showers every 2nd morning (on my non work days).

I'd give up the bath tomorrow (and the 3rd toilet) but not the showers!

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 08-Jan-13 16:21:41

Downstairs shower is a pita. We only ever used ours in case of overcrowding from guests. Its also not paritcularly safe leaving big trails of wet up and down the stairs as you go up to get dry. I think storGe would be much more valuable. Its utterly uncomfortable feeing through a house towel clutched to your nethers, i absolutely hated it lol. So unless you have nine kids, nah.

wendybird77 Tue 08-Jan-13 16:18:16

I am just finalising the plans for the new kitchen, upstairs bath and downstairs loo and I'm having a wobble. Upstairs bath will be big family bath with freestanding bath, shower, two sinks and a utility cupboard for storage / washer and tumble drier. Currently there is a bath in the downstairs bathroom, but that will come out to make way for a large storage cupboard to house boiler, water softener and storage for hoover and general house stuff. Is this mad? Should I put a shower in that room (though we are unlikely to use it much) and just leave a small cupboard for the boiler / water softener and less extra storage. I could fit some storage in the entryway, but mostly need it for a bench, coats and shoes. Will I want another shower when the kids are older? How will this affect the house value?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now