Should we have moved out of London?

(38 Posts)
yummymumtobe Wed 12-Dec-12 16:49:57

We are about to complete on buying a house (too late to back out now!) and I am so worried we have done the wrong thing. The house in in wimbledon park which is a lovely area - park, loads of families, nice shops and cafes, nice primaries, but still only 15 mins into Waterloo! I work part time in central London and so wanted a really easy commute as I am not a super mum - need to keep things as simple as possible hence wanting to live somewhere which means hubbie gets home at a decent hour, my commute is great and we're near family.
So it all sounds perfect and that is why we chose it, but it seems like every other mum I meet is moving out of London. So I feel so doubtful - we thought it seemed like a great place to live but everyone else seems to think that once you have a baby it's time to move to Guildford! Have we made the wrong choice? Will we regret it in a year and wish we were out of London? Would be interested to know if anyone is in the same boat...worried that we have now tied ourselves into a house and will suddenly realise that we should have left london too.

superwhizzynewlaptop Fri 14-Dec-12 12:25:31

I also grew up in the country and couldn't wait to leave! I now live in a not at all yummy part of London (zone 3 SE London) and would never consider leaving.

I think DD has an amazing childhood here, with everything she could wish for a short journey away, and she has loads of friends who live minutes away from us on foot. She goes - shock horror - to a bog-standard community primary school in a very mixed area, and loves it.

We can walk to a hilly park in 5 minutes and see the whole of London beneath us grin

In answer to your OP my reply would be: Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

yummymumtobe Fri 14-Dec-12 11:09:41

Rubyroo - my husband grew up in the country and has the same view about there not being much happening. An aunt Lucy - I know what you mean about life. We are in our early 30s and somehow equate a move out with declaring that we have given up trying to have a life or something and just gone back to the burbs where I started! However, that must be wrong though because it seems that so many people think right - we have a baby now - we need 5 bedrooms and a cul de sac. We have completed now so it is too late anyway! Feel very nervous about it still.

AuntLucyInTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 22:07:23

Sounds lovely. We think of moving out of London every few years but I mentally associate the move with declaring the end of youth so I can't bring myself to do it!

RubyrooUK Thu 13-Dec-12 22:01:52

I live in a bit of London not nearly as nice as Wimbledon and I love it. I can get home pronto when my DS is ill at nursery and don't have an enormous commute now I'm pregnant with DS2.

I love going to London's parks, museums and all the other great places for kids at the weekend. I'd have no objection to living somewhere rural but there would be no work for me or DH so we stay in London.

And I grew up in a rural place where all we did was drink underage, smoke weed and have sex because there was literally nothing else to do. So I don't feel like London is short changing my sons at all!

If it doesn't work out, I'll change my mind and the boys can grow up rurally trying to sneak their vodka past me! grin

Rudolphstolemycarrots Thu 13-Dec-12 20:24:07

In your shoes I'd move into the london house and enjoy your childs babyhood. You might want to move into the correct school catchment when your baby is about to start school.

Baubleswithdiamonds Thu 13-Dec-12 12:05:14

I agree with Blowitout - we're in SW London and are moving out for a bigger house and decent secondary school. If you have those two issues sorted, then it's a fantastic place to live, we have been very happy and the children have a great life here.

Blowitout Wed 12-Dec-12 22:12:34

I live in Wimbledon and have children and know many other families who live here and love it. Some reasons people I know have moved away is to buy a house (because prices around here are crazy) or a bigger house with more land or to avoid paying school fees because all the good secondary schools around here are private. Although if you can afford them, they are amongst the best in the country.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like any local info or have any questions.
smile

jennycrofter Wed 12-Dec-12 22:03:27

Yummy, we moved way way further than was sensible. 500 miles. We thought we needed space and a slower pace. The DCs are busier than ever, and the advantages of the space are massively out weighed by the disadvantages of being so far from DHs work.

Seriously, you'll be fine.

Busyoldfool Wed 12-Dec-12 21:58:21

ooops different

Busyoldfool Wed 12-Dec-12 21:57:32

Wimbledon is such a lovley area and I agree with all forevergreek says. I'm in London and love it. My kids have an independence that they wouldn't have in a suburb and exposure to a wide range of differnet people.

HoFlippinHo Wed 12-Dec-12 20:44:32

Horses for courses and all that. I lived in London for 15 years then moved out to Hampshire/Dorset borders about 10 years ago. I thought I would miss London terribly but I haven't and love love love where we live. Probably because we didn't do suburbia but moved right away from London.

wisemanscamel Wed 12-Dec-12 20:23:09

envy Dh and I are both from London (Lewisham) but right now live in Dorset. We take the kids up there when we can afford it - museums / plays / parks / music / general buzz - everything just seems more alive in town.
Your DCs will thank you for it!

forevergreek Wed 12-Dec-12 20:00:06

we can afford it as we live in a sardine can smile

yummymumtobe Wed 12-Dec-12 19:57:12

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better. Having kids is such a responsibility you sort of feel they are being short-changed in London and that you should be letting them grow up in a nice quiet cul de sac in the burbs!

MarshaBrady Wed 12-Dec-12 19:46:31

I think you've made the right decision too. It will settle down when school starts and people won't be hot footing it out of your area so much.

PeppermintonCandyCane Wed 12-Dec-12 19:42:06

I think it sounds perfect. We moved to the south coast after DC1 arrived, and moved back when DC3 was 1, and I'm glad we did. We are within the M25 and 30 minutes from Waterloo, so easy to get up to town.

As the DC get a bit older they'll be able to get around using public transport, and DH and I can do the stuff that's in 'Time Out' instead of just reading about it nostalgically.

AfterEightMintyy Wed 12-Dec-12 19:33:18

I would live in central central London like a shot if I had the money forevergreek envy

forevergreek Wed 12-Dec-12 19:30:45

we live v central (walk to hyde park). we have a smaller flat but there is so much to do and i think our life is better here. we actually have more space imo that others in unheard of towns, as we have great parks everywhere. holland park has peacocks and koi ponds, hyde park has space, and ducks, boats, parks, pop up events. the museums are on our doorstep, commute is walkable, transport is fantastic, the culture, diversity etc etc.. if we ever moved it wouldnt be due to not bringing children up here.

AfterEightMintyy Wed 12-Dec-12 18:49:14

Wimbledon Park - what postcode is that?

Woodlands Wed 12-Dec-12 18:45:19

I'm in a similar position but it's the right decision for us, ithink. I keep talking to people who moved back after six months! I don't fancy being a taxi service for my children! Plus even though we don't get outmuch to the theatre etc it's reassuring to know they a're there...

tethersjinglebellend Wed 12-Dec-12 18:31:52

I moved to Hertfordshire from London when DD1 was born.

6 months later we moved back grin

swlmum Wed 12-Dec-12 18:23:47

I live not far from you and although a few people have moved away most have stayed/ are staying especially once kids are settled in primary school etc. SW London is great- managed to fit in a trip to the Science Museum and a walk round Richmond Park today all before school pick-up. You couldn't do that from Guildford!

notcitrus Wed 12-Dec-12 18:18:24

Wimbledon Park is lovely, and practically out of London anyway!
I'd happily live there - whereas I grew up near Weybridge and you couldn't pay me to live in Surrey! I can visit family in under an hour, though.

specialsubject Wed 12-Dec-12 18:03:54

where's the problem? It has been mentioned elsewhere here that bringing up kids in London is not actually child abuse, and where you are going sounds great, both generally and for your situation.

if you have the urge to go to Guildford you can always get on the train. :-)

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Dec-12 17:34:12

I know lots and lots of people with kids who live in W Park and love it. Moving further out to a commuter town I'm honestly not sure what you're gaining except a longer commute? And you lose a lot.

I'm in Surbiton (16 mins to Waterloo) and while not as London as W Park it still feels like part of the capital, just. And I have as good a commute as I could hope for so I can work fairly normal hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now