Recommend me good quality pans for new induction hob!

(25 Posts)
wendybird77 Thu 06-Dec-12 15:47:08

DH and I are quibbling over new induction hob (he wants gas, but doesn't clean it. ever.) One reason is we have really nice pans that won't work with induction. Plan of attack is to buy him new nice pans for Christmas,
thereby eliminating his argument and making kitchen cleaning easier for me forever more. So whatcha got, or what would you get if could?

middleagedspread Thu 06-Dec-12 17:10:44

John Lewis is your friend..the staff there are really knowledgeable. Also the website also indicates which pans are suitable for induction. I did have to buy some new pans but lots of my old ones were fine (check with a magnet).
I love my induction hob, best choice ever.

PolterGoose Thu 06-Dec-12 17:12:36

My absolutely favourite 2 saucepans are both Le Creuset stainless steel ones, which I use on gas but I think they're fine for induction hobs too.

wendybird77 Thu 06-Dec-12 20:05:51

Thank you both. Sadly all our nice pots and pans will not work. (I've tried a magnet, repeatedly). I've had a look at John Lewis, the Circulon Infinate pans are on sale. Are these any good? Off to have a look at Le Creuset.

amazonianwoman Thu 06-Dec-12 20:34:48

John Lewis own brand classic ones ( might be classic 2 now?)

Mine are stil going strong after around 16-17 years.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:54:54

another vote for John Lewis classic pans

and once your DH has played with the induction hob he'll be a convert.
Making gravy - roasting pan on a low burner - is great fun :-)

contortionist Thu 06-Dec-12 22:07:39

www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Le_Creuset_3_ply_Cookware.html

Another vote for Le Creuset stainless steel.

Furoshika Thu 06-Dec-12 22:09:21

Not for a present, but actually Ikea do good solid non-stick induction-friendly pans. In case you need to buy a few more when the hob goes in ;)

TryingToBuyAHouse Fri 07-Dec-12 12:27:20

Can someone explain the magnet thing to me?blush

annalouiseh Fri 07-Dec-12 13:16:35

Induction hobs heat through electromagnets so they only will heat any pan that a magnet will stick to (a magnetic material)
if a magnet will stick to the base of your pan it can be heated on an induction hob

Also on the pan side of things - look for pans with silicone/rubber handles
Antony Worrall Thompson has a set with these, not very expensive either

TryingToBuyAHouse Sat 08-Dec-12 12:21:14

Thank you, we're moving into a house with an induction hob, had no clue about pans!
Why silicone/rubber handles?

mateysmum Sat 08-Dec-12 12:23:28

John Lewis Classic absolutely

Boozeandadietjinglebell Sat 08-Dec-12 12:28:13

We got an induction hob on sale, then undid all our savings with Le Creuset to replace my much loved Kitchen Aid pans.

I now have a stove top kettle which boils quicker than the electric one ever did. LC pans are brilliant but the frying pan is a nightmare - we've ended up buying a JL non stick one.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 08-Dec-12 13:25:53

We have all metal pans (no padded handles) so they can go in the wish dosher.
Induction hobs are FAB.

annalouiseh Sat 08-Dec-12 16:15:12

Trying
Metal pan handle depending what ones you have can get hot, as conducts heat
My dh only uses ones with a coated handle, the ones we have are d/washer proof

TalkinPeace2 Sat 08-Dec-12 16:26:43

the John Lewis ones do not
AND
remember that with an induction hob, there is no heat directed at the pan - I love picking up a pan and wiping the hob with a cloth during cooking ....

wendybird77 Sat 08-Dec-12 19:21:01

Oh excellent - will run out to John Lewis to have a gander. Thank you all so much!

LucyApr1985 Tue 18-Jun-13 14:16:18

I've always found Which magazine's opinions on goods very helpful and their guide on induction cooktops helped me decide what to buy. The only downside is you need to pay a monthly subscription to get their magazine and log into their website.

Alternatively, this website has some good ideas which also appeared on Which magazines best buys: inductionpansguide.co.uk/saucepans-for-induction-hobs/

We got ours at M & S in a bargain sale. Good quality but not expensive.

myron Tue 18-Jun-13 23:49:56

I have circular infinite pans. Love them.

myron Tue 18-Jun-13 23:50:39

I have circulon
infinite pans. Love them.

workingtitle Wed 19-Jun-13 06:10:10

I absolutely ove our induction hob, can't recommend enough.
Has anyone mentioned honesense/TK maxx? We have bought all our pans here, to supplement a few le creuset.
My absolute favourite is a Stellar pan--lovely weight. You can get a set if that's what you're looking for, eg amazon

We have circulon pans, not sure which kind. They are lovely but be warned they are pretty heavy. I can barely lift the saute pan with one hand even when it's empty.

WeAllHaveWings Wed 19-Jun-13 17:34:07

I have an old set of circulon which i had before my induction hob and a new set of teal which I bought after. The circulon is non stick and a bit past its best now, but I blame dh for being heavy handed with then and putting them inside each other in the cupboard.

The circulon ones are great and even the small milkpan works on the largest ring. The tefal ones are awful, don't warm up was quickly and only the largest pan will work on the large ring, the large ring doesn't recognise the small tefal pans.

MrsGrowbag Wed 19-Jun-13 20:11:28

we bought jamie Oliver Tefal Induction Pans. Not great at all, wish i'd bought John Lewis. have heard very good things about Ikea pans for induction hob but can't face the 1 hour drive, let alone the queues....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now