The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

sailorsgal Sat 16-Feb-13 09:03:52

springlamb exactly, the owner should have the property vacated before putting it on the market. It was sopposed to have a few viewings yesterdays so I think plenty of people are interested and I think it will sell quickly. The kitchen is putting me off at the moment but if we can extend it is a contender.

springlamb Sat 16-Feb-13 09:28:40

Have a look at the satellite images of other properties on the road to see if anyone else has added the extension you'd need, if they haven't maybe there might be planning permission problems, in which case at least you can put it to bed and move on. Frustrating though!
I have no viewings today, alas, so going to loiter in my pyjamas for a couple of hours, which is very rare nowadays.

sailorsgal Sat 16-Feb-13 13:28:36

Both neighbours have extended so getting planning may not be a problem. Its just checking the garden is big enough as don't want to lose all outside space. Have promised ds a dog. grin

Found another fixer upper on the rightmove. EA didn't phone us and its been on for 3 weeks. I think its had an offer on it already. Have a viewing of it on Monday.

Am fawing over all the extensions in the magazine "Ideal Homes" envy

CuddyMum Sat 16-Feb-13 15:28:58

I'm trying hard not to Google kitchens and flooring for a house that will never be mine!! Feeling a bit confused today. Annoying when the agents don't ring you and you find something on Rightmove Sailorsgal.

CuddyMum Sun 17-Feb-13 08:30:38

Good luck with your move tomorrow Toomuchtea!

Hotcupofteaplease Mon 18-Feb-13 09:41:49

Can I join you please? We put our house on the market a week ago; had our first viewing yesterday. The market round here is pretty slow, some houses nearby have been up for a year or more!
We have already had an offer accepted and a survey done on another house, just waiting for the final mortgage offer from the bank. Luckily we don't need to sell ours in order to buy this one, if all else fails we could rent it out.
I have my fingers crossed that the guy yesterday liked it... We'll soon find out I guess...

sailorsgal Mon 18-Feb-13 10:29:58

Welcome hotcupofteaplease

It seems to be the opposite here. Everything is flying off the shelves so to speak.

I'm viewing a house this afternoon though am not optimistic. Funny before I put my house on the market I saw load I liked and now there is very little. hmm

CuddyMum Mon 18-Feb-13 11:38:03

It seems a very slow market where I am too despite being an a very desirable location. A couple of years ago houses here sold very quickly. At the moment, it only seems to be the more affordable houses that shift. I'm still clearing out as if we are still moving and have filled another 5 bin bags! It's most therapeutic smile I'm hoping that the sunny weather and half term will bring out the househunters! I popped into Ikea yesterday and was drawn towards the kitchens... What is the house like that you are viewing today sailorsgal?

sailorsgal Mon 18-Feb-13 12:40:46

cuddymum Its also a fixer upper like the one I bid on but the plot is not as big and though it is in town which adds a premium to it I think the village feel of the other house is preferable. Also I look at the street aswell, its no use adding value to it if the other houses in the street look drab shit. grin

Hotcupofteaplease Mon 18-Feb-13 13:27:09

It seems to be first time buyer type homes and larger homes which are slow to move. Middle of the road well priced semi's are selling okay. Hopefully it will pick up as we get into Spring.
The clearing out sounds wonderful Cuddy, I must take a leaf out of your book!
The house we have gone for is a fixer upper; I'm beginning to wonder what we've let ourselves in for, what with two very small children... We could actually do with staying in our current house until the new one is at least partly done hmm

AugustaProdworthy Mon 18-Feb-13 16:49:28

we had a third viewing today, not easy getting house straight when DS has had D and V all weekend but.. managed to get it presentable. No news yet as they still have questions that they would like answered. Please please, please fingers crossed. PLease.

sailorsgal Mon 18-Feb-13 17:05:28

Augusta good luck.

Well just back from the viewing this afternoon. Didn't get that feeling about it. Again its not been touched for about 40 years. Garden a good size and all the other houses in the close have extended over the garage. Its only been on the market since Saturday and has two offers already but think they are holding out for the asking price.

CuddyMum Mon 18-Feb-13 18:14:10

If you're not feeling it and there are offers already you could end up paying over the odds for something you don't really like. Gosh, I wish people were fighting over my house and offering asking price (I can but dream).

A third viewing sounds promising Augusta - I wonder what questions they have for you.

Hotcupoftea - clearing out is taking my mind off things smile

sailorsgal Mon 18-Feb-13 20:39:28

I do wonder if developers are looking to get their hands on it. I wouldn't get into a bidding war as couldn't bear the thought of having no money left to do the work.

It had the most revolting green carpet in the bathroom that went up the side of the bath. hmm Was that ever in fashion???

Does anyone know what it might cost to put a room over the garage?

MrsJamin Mon 18-Feb-13 20:59:42

We are waiting to hear whether our offer for a lovely victorian semi has been accepted - very excited about this house and will be really sad if it falls through! I have already been pinning pictures like mad on pinterest and googling climbing roses for the front of the house!

sailorsgal Mon 18-Feb-13 21:15:16

mrsjamin fingers crossed for you. smile

CuddyMum Mon 18-Feb-13 21:43:25

Fingers crossed MrsJamin and I think single storey extensions are about £1k per square metre (roughly) Sailorsgal.

Hotcupofteaplease Mon 18-Feb-13 21:44:11

Good luck Augusta and MrsJamin!
That bathroom decor sounds just wonderful Sailorsgal...
Well, our viewer from yesterday has been in touch to ask if we will accept just under 95% of the asking price. We have agreed, so he's off to see his mortgage consultant this weekend. Much too early to get excited, but promising all the same!

MrsJamin Mon 18-Feb-13 21:46:48

That's fab Hotcupofteaplease - had he not had a mortgage agreed so far?

Hotcupofteaplease Mon 18-Feb-13 22:09:51

Not yet MrsJamin, he actually has a 60% deposit and nothing to sell (he sold a while back and has been living in rented); he doesn't foresee any issues, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet!

CuddyMum Mon 18-Feb-13 22:32:57

That's fantastic hotcupoftea!

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 19-Feb-13 21:45:04

Hello guys, im about to go live, carpets getting cleaned tomorrow, photos done thursday, baby due in a week! Eeeek!

Any tips? Ive got my grouting pen out....flowers are being brought.....toys are being confiscated right left and center.....bags of crap have already been flung out....

CuddyMum Tue 19-Feb-13 21:59:13

Fergus - you can never declutter enough! You are going to have your hands full. I hope your EA is conducting the viewings for you. Are you hoping to upsize?

FergusSingsTheBlues Tue 19-Feb-13 22:11:41

We're hoping to go from four bed flat to four bed house, so, yes, bigger. Im chucking EA the keys when i stagger off, bleeding and dazed with my bundle of joy. Seriously hoping that in the two weeks im away at my mums, somebody will offer!

MrsJamin Wed 20-Feb-13 07:16:53

Wow Fergus, you have a lot going on! Hope the birth and sale are smooth for you!
Well we had our offer accepted, and our chain is complete smile Both buyers and vendors seem to want to move quickly so we may be in in no time at all! So excited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now