The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

MrsJamin Sat 09-Feb-13 08:26:47

Oh it would get me with a big garden too. As long as its liveable in, you can do work over time - but you can pretty much never get more garden! I have two active boys who need a decent amount of outside space.

CuddyMum Sat 09-Feb-13 08:58:16

Yes, the big garden would do it for me too. I don't mind the renovation side.

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 15:11:55

Well loved the house more than I should. Yes it needs a lot of work as I don't think they have done anything since it was built, probably sixities. I just see us living there. The village is gorgeous and Julian Fellows lives around the corner in a slightly larger pile than this. grin

The garden is amazing and ds would love it. The lady living there is finding all too much so hence the move. It has an open fire aswell. I booked a second viewing and am taking along a friend who works in planning so hopefully she will give me sensible advice as I feel my heart is ruling my head and I feel quite emotional today.

The house has an offer on it already but they are unable to sell their house so we are in a good position. There are more viewings next week. Should I put in an offer today???

CuddyMum Sat 09-Feb-13 18:38:23

Oh my! Go for it. I might consider raising my offer but husband isn't keen. It's all very frustrating. Looked at a rental today and it was truly hideous.

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 18:52:06

Well I put in an offer but willing to go a bit higher. DH is coming around to the idea and is already planning what we will do with it. Am trying to calm myself down. grin

Cuddymum sorry to hear about the rental.

CuddyMum Sat 09-Feb-13 18:59:57

Well apart from it being awful I'd be dealing with the guy directly, who quite frankly, was weird and I wouldn't want to be home alone and he just appear. He was like the poet guy off the undateables but more sinister! The kids really want the house we offered on and I'm sure we could do a lot of work ourselves. Let us know if your offer is accepted.

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 09:42:34

Well I got up to find the husband looking at range cookers and kitchens on the Internet... Maybe he's coming round to the idea of upping our offer!

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 09:46:17

I've been in a couple of houses this week with range cookers and we are definitely having one.

Cuddymum I have just emailed the estate agent and upped our offer. I don't want to lose it for the sake of £5,000. DH has been looking at extensions this morning. grin

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 09:51:02

We're getting there Sailorsgal!

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 11:32:36

Have just upped the offer...

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 11:50:21

Exciting Stuff!!!

claracluck71 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:00:28

Wow Sailorsgal, sounds very exciting! The house we've had an offer accepted on is a bit of a project too - should keep us going for the next 20 years!

Well after a frantic morning decluttering and cleaning on Thursday our viewing cancelled with an hour to go, but at least the photos look good. It went online yesterday, and we had a viewing yesterday afternoon. No feedback yet, but they wanted to be in the catchment for the local school so you never know.

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:52

Rather disappointingly the vendors are not interested our latest offer despite indicating to the EA the price they were looking for. They are not at all motivated to move and infact have even turned down viewings. The vendor seems to think that property prices are on the way up blah, blah, blah. Sound like timewasters to me who have got cold feet. Back to square one with nothing to buy at all.

springlamb Sun 10-Feb-13 14:18:15

Feeling very envy of those further down the line to me!
How long have you gone between viewings? I am four weeks in and have signed up sole agency with a very reputable local EA. Had 13 viewings in the first few weeks a couple of 2nd viewings and one very poor offer but nothing since. Is this usual? My house is all dressed up with nowhere to go!
This is the first time on the proper property market for us as we've previously bought and sold within the family.
How long did you wait before reducing your price, if you did? I'm wondering if I reduced to just below £350,000 I might increase the range of prospects. Although my present price is well reasonable for 4/5 beds in a London suburb and with nothing needing doing to it!!!

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 15:12:05

Thats a shame Cuddymum.

springlamb I wouldn't reduce your price yet. Sounds like you are getting plenty of viewings. I know there is a house on the market near us who have dramatically reduced their price but its still not selling though I thought it was nicer than ours.

springlamb Sun 10-Feb-13 16:39:48

I do wish they'd been a bit more spread out though! But I'm tempering my frustration by remembering that ideally I don't want to complete a sale till late July so DD and I can avoid a spell camping out till the school year ends, so an accepted offer now might be to early.
And although I'm living on rightmove and zoopla, I have vowed not to enter any properties until I have an accepted offer on ours - I know myself too well and I will end up in a megatantrum if I then lost it.
I am not at all suited to this, am I.

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 17:10:15

I'm having a mega sulk! I'm not sure why I keep checking Rightmove because nothing has changed and am registered with every agent! I really thought that we would have had our offer accepted today!

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 17:40:51

You have to have nerves of steel thats for sure. grin

I think there will be lots of properties coming on the market in the coming weeks. I am still viewing this week, I was going to cancel but thought just in case.

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 18:44:06

I hope there will be lots of properties coming on smile

I have spent the day (aside from sulking) sorting out my kitchen and utility room cupboards, so another 5 bin bags put out in addition to the 7 bags of shredding from when I sorted my study out earlier in the week!

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 19:25:37

Is there anything you are discounting on rightmove that maybe you should go and have a look at? I just say that as the house I have offered on is not very inspiring on rightmove and also vice versa, have loved some then they have been very dull on viewing.

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 19:51:25

The problem is that there's nothing on Rightmove other than the house I've offered on. The other house I liked went under offer before I could view it and it's all progressing nicely.

AugustaProdworthy Sun 10-Feb-13 19:57:47

Can I join ? Just read through. The thread to check if it l

AugustaProdworthy Sun 10-Feb-13 20:00:44

To check if it looked like anyone was in my area!! Getting very disheartened and bothered by trying to sell....feel like we're living in stasis. Can't decorate or do much , have to keep getting laundry done when I'm certain we've no viewings, waiting fof phone calls, getting rubbish feedback, tidying endlessly...please can someone just buy it !

CuddyMum Sun 10-Feb-13 20:07:36

Augusta that's exactly what I was like! I've recently accepted what I think is a low offer on our property. I thought buying a property would be easier but apparently not smile

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 20:08:28

Welcome, Augusta. Since mine went under offer my cleaning standards have dropped. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now