The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

MrsJamin Mon 04-Feb-13 07:15:29

Oh that's rubbish. We are expecting an offer today from the people who came at the weekend for the 3rd time. I just hope it is a decent offer then we can offer on the house we have our eyes on! It's going to be a nailbiting week I fear.

CuddyMum Mon 04-Feb-13 08:28:52

Fingers crossed Mrs Jamin! I'm going to book a second viewing at the house we saw yesterday afternoon.

Toomuchtea Mon 04-Feb-13 10:13:30

Excellent news that you have an offer Cuddy, and I hope you do manage to squeeze a little bit more out of him. It is so ironic that the moment you do get an offer everything you were thinking of goes. And I do know how that feels. Has the bungalow in Harrold gone? Or have you dismissed that?

Good luck MrsJasmin. Three viewings does sound keen. Do you want to stay in the same area?

Here I still am not sure where exactly we're going to go, and we move out two weeks from today. Am currently surrounded by boxes, which is making me twitchy.

sailorsgal Mon 04-Feb-13 14:06:02

We have another viewing tomorrow. Am at work all day so will be tidying up tonight before I go to bed and up at the crack of dawn

The couple who came the other day didn't think we had enough sun for the whole day. hmm I wonder where they have been living the last few years, we all haven't had any sun. grin

CuddyMum Mon 04-Feb-13 15:56:42

We are officially under offer - he wouldn't come up any more unfortunately. We've knocked the bungalow on the head as there's no way we would be able to spend the amount needed to add another level. We're second viewing a property in Sharnbrook tomorrow - it's meant to be (I hope) purely based on the fact that they have chickens and are leaving the chicken shed and large fenced off run! It needs some work and an extension (and there's a very strong whiff of dog) but I'm fine with that. I have to say that I have definitely been over zealous in my cleaning for viewings and hope I don't have to clean any more (ever).

I'll have to start at the packing box stage soon but I just want to exchange quickly. If we don't get an offer accepted on the Sharnbrook house then we'll have to rent which could be a pain as there's nothing suitable!

I hope things pan out for you soon Toomuchtea - how stressful.

Sailorsgal - good luck with your tidying and viewing. Hope you find some more sunshine somewhere! I hate feeble excuses like that.

Toomuchtea Mon 04-Feb-13 17:01:54

Excellent news Cuddy - well done! I completely sympathise with the not wanting to clean again, ever. Good luck with the second viewing on Sharnbrook.

For a moment this morning I thought we had some clarity at last, after we hit a brick wall with our sellers. Fine, we thought, we'll drop out and rent. Now they have offered a little chip in the brick wall. It is, as they say, doing my head in.

BramblyHedge Mon 04-Feb-13 17:12:37

I have all this to look forward to. Trying to declutter a tiny two bed terrace inhabited by 3 children under 7 is proving hard! Hoping to put it on the market asap although nothing we like locally at the moment. But we need to move as the kids are sharing a 6 by 8 room at the moment

CuddyMum Mon 04-Feb-13 17:48:30

I love the way that the vendors of the house can't vacate tomorrow whilst we second view with the agent! I think of all the times that I have gone out of my way to make sure we're all out - dog too!

MrsJamin Mon 04-Feb-13 21:06:52

We had an offer but it was a bit too low so we rejected it- hoping to get a higher offer from them tomorrow though! Bramblyhedge, I am just selling a 2 bed terrace with 2 children under foot, so I have your sympathy! Best advice I got from an estate agent friend was to try and limit the children-related clutter to their room, so viewers can still see themselves at home in the rest of the house, otherwise they are going to be put off by the family feel of it, especially as you are unlikely to be selling to a family. Good luck!

CuddyMum Tue 05-Feb-13 12:32:50

Hope you hear back today MrsJamin.

We're second viewing later so we'll see what happens. I might have to play hardball with the price because now we've taken a low offer it will have an impact on what we can pay as we might be close to the LTV % (we need to get rid of a rather large credit card too). Mortgage lady calling later. I'm letting DH deal with that as technically it's his money that pays for everything!

I know I should be feeling excited right now - but for some reason I just feel "neutral". Perhaps it's because I hoped to achieve more for the house.

Toomuchtea Tue 05-Feb-13 12:59:57

Good news you had an offer MrsJamin - I hope today's seen a better one.

Good luck with the second viewing Cuddy. Has the house been on the market long? I know what you mean about feeling neutral. I've been excited about our previous moves, but with this one.... it feels like it's been a huge battle even to get to this point. Is it even more so for you? Because it has been a bit of a haul for you.

CuddyMum Tue 05-Feb-13 13:31:28

The house has only been on a few weeks and was previously on in September. I tried to view a couple of weeks ago and wasn't allowed as we weren't then proceedable. The lady said she'd move into rented and they need to downsize - so a very short chain with me in the middle. DH keeps saying how much he'll miss living in Olney etc.

MrsJamin Tue 05-Feb-13 14:33:50

We've had a better offer and accepted smile - I think we will offer on a house by the end of the week! Go with hardball Cuddymum- that's what we did but I guess it's a different market/house/area.

Toomuchtea Tue 05-Feb-13 17:27:41

Well done MrsJamin - that didn't take long! It sounds like you have somewhere in mind to offer on?

How did the second viewing go Cuddy? How do the DC feel about the move now that there's progress? Here I have DD still being a silent lump of fury about the idea of moving, despite the fact that she will still have friends where we are moving to - it is me who won't. Teenagers.

CuddyMum Tue 05-Feb-13 18:02:54

The teenagers are very keen to move and both will change schools so that's good.

Just back from the second viewing. Thankfully, they vacated so we could look around properly with the agent. It has made us realise just how immaculate and well finished our house is. It's apparent that lots needs to be done in the house from skirting boards, flooring, kitchen, garden, all the fencing, lighting, plastering, windows and that's even before we add an extension to make it big enough upstairs. I'm not sure we like it enough to spend all that money. If it had an enormous garden - maybe but even still I think the vendors would be unimpressed by what we would offer.

There's bugger all else to view and nothing to rent. Well, there's one house to rent but DH is turning his nose up! I'm not sure what to do now. If the rental that we originally liked was still available, then I have no doubt that we would have taken it. I've asked the agent to think of anyone who may have tried to market last year and couldn't sell. Other agents are looking for me too.

Well done MrsJamin!

sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:01:21

Just came home from work and the For Sale sign has gone up. Feels a bit weird and also sad as I do like my house. Details are on rightmove so if anyone want to PM and give me constructive advice you are very welcome. grin

CuddyMum Tue 05-Feb-13 20:09:28

Can we have the link?

sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:20:49

I am dreadful at doing links they never work. blush will have a go.

sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:28:20
sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:30:28

Oh well!!

MrsJamin Tue 05-Feb-13 20:32:01

Link doesn't work- Would love to have a look.

AngryFeet Tue 05-Feb-13 20:32:27

Hi everyone. We have just put my parents house (that we are renting from them) on the market as we are buying our own and they moved away a few years ago. Not quite the same stress on us but still have to do the hard bits like sprucing it up (not been decorated for at least 10 years so we scrubbed and made it the best we could). Anyway here it is www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25825857.html?premiumA=true.

Had 2 viewings so far and have more at the weekend.

What do you think?

sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:40:13

Angryfeet that is a great house.

sailorsgal Tue 05-Feb-13 20:41:46

I had a very positive viewing today and have two tomorrow.

CuddyMum Tue 05-Feb-13 21:53:52

Great house Angryfeet.

Good luck with your viewings sailorsgal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now