The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 18:41:28

Oh no. Will you leave it up indefinitely ( so to speak! )

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 20:42:26

I really don't know - I guess I'm banking on local couple.

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jan-13 21:18:51

Cuddymum- yes we have some viewings lined up for this week! I bought a flowering plant so it should flower for a few weeks and I won't have to keep buying fresh flowers. Made up a hanging basket too for a bit of kerb appeal. We are in Reading. Looking at a few houses that have been on the market for a while and need work doing- which is a bit scary but could mean we could afford a house that we could live in for longer.

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 21:54:25

Good luck MrsJamin! I bought some really nice flowering plants and managed to kill them smile

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jan-13 22:14:20

I am amazing at killing houseplants! I have an orchid that my mum adopts for half a year at a time to revive and then gives it back to me so I nearly kill it again! Here's hoping its a good week for "local couple", cuddymum smile

Toomuchtea Mon 28-Jan-13 09:41:22

Everlong, I am sorry. But if your house sold so quickly, hopefully it will sell very quickly again. Do you have any idea of why they pulled out?

Good luck MrsJasmin - I kill plants all the time too. I'm not so bad if they're outside, but indoor ones defeat me the whole time.

Still keeping fingers crossed for you Cuddy.

CuddyMum Mon 28-Jan-13 15:31:19

Thanks Toomuchtea. Have you heard anything back from the Council re the drop kerb?

Someone gave me a beautiful bonsai recently and despite following the instructions the leaves are falling off! hmm

Toomuchtea Mon 28-Jan-13 18:08:07

No, not yet. Very, very tense here.

The hens are going to a friend tomorrow. It's so uncertain where we'll end up, so I've very reluctantly decided it's best for them to be rehomed now, and have a good home with someone who I know has plenty of space, rather than having a horrible scramble if the purchase falls through and we do have to rent.

CuddyMum Mon 28-Jan-13 19:08:16

When will you have to make a firm decision re your purchase/rental? I'm sorry about the chickens - at least they're going to a good home.

Toomuchtea Tue 29-Jan-13 09:48:06

4th Feb, I think, which is the date by which we should have a Council decision - unless of course our sellers already know what the answer is likely to be and tell us!

Toomuchtea Fri 01-Feb-13 08:27:47

It will be ok to park off road. Phew. Now just have to persuade our sellers to communicate with us.... it's all gone very quiet.

On the chicken front, they've gone (sob) but my big black thug hen has been given a reprieve. They're willing to give her a go. Fingers crossed she behaves.

CuddyMum Fri 01-Feb-13 15:25:43

A step forward then and an escape from death row for the bad chicken! All fairly quiet here - had no viewings for a couple of weeks now. The local couple who want to buy still say they want to buy. The EA is trying to persuade them to go on with them as they are selling a bungalow that will appeal to old people and they have old people who have registered in the old fashioned way who may not know their house is for sale. They say they will but are going to repaint the whole house in cream first! No! Stop dilly-dallying! The family with lots of children are still trying to persuade the man of the house to buy too! Has anyone else had viewings recently?

Toomuchtea Fri 01-Feb-13 17:13:54

I hope they wear the man of the house down, or that the bungalow sells fast without having to be repainted. Is it that ghastly?

Which reminds, me, you'd think this agency would tell their member of staff (whose house it is) to tidy up, wouldn't you? It's a fantastic house but I just long to get in there and at least move the cat litter trays.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37371025.html

CuddyMum Fri 01-Feb-13 17:36:27

Cat litter trays aside (and cat too), that is a great house. Needs a garden makeover.

MrsJamin Sat 02-Feb-13 12:39:06

Blimey what a huge house. But yes they could have had a clear up. Some of the houses are in a such a mess when they have their photos done- its so surprising that people don't think its important to declutter.

We have two viewings this morning- one wants a third viewing tomorrow so it looks like they should make an offer- just hope it's not a ridiculously cheeky one. There's a house we would like to put an offer in on this week so we're really hopeful!

CuddyMum Sat 02-Feb-13 13:46:36

Sounds positive MrsJamin - good luck.

CuddyMum Sat 02-Feb-13 17:52:55

Well - we've had an offer from family with lots of kids. He has made it clear that he does not like it and he's doing it for his family but he's a cash buyer etc. etc.

We have gone back to see if we can squeeze a bit more out of him as he really would be getting a bargain.

Typically, the house we wanted to rent went this morning and the house we wanted to buy sold last week.

So, there's nothing to rent and nothing to buy! Eek!

I am going to ask on here if anyone has a house to sell in Sharnbrook!

sailorsgal Sat 02-Feb-13 18:46:14

I am exhausted!! Cleaning and decluttering. House just going on the market but had a viewing this morning already. Thankfully the sun was shining which makes everything look so much brighter. except the windows

CuddyMum Sat 02-Feb-13 19:22:08

Sailorsgal I hope you get an offer quickly. I have to say that preparing for viewings has been completely physically shattering - especially at short notice and when you don't even get feedback (or no shows!). I agree, the house looks much brighter when the sun is shining but the windows and mirrors are so unforgiving smile

MrsJamin Sat 02-Feb-13 19:33:04

We had 3 viewings today- one with 10 mins notice and I had to usher the children out with half eaten snacks in hand! Need to be accommodating however inconvenient but I hope it doesn't go on for months! I do feel like it is teaching me to be tidier though- it does not come naturally!

sailorsgal Sat 02-Feb-13 19:34:18

I looked at the photos the estate agent took and my house looked pretty good. I wondered why we were moving. sad So many pluses to where we live but we want a bigger garden. I will miss little Waitrose on the corner.

CuddyMum Sat 02-Feb-13 19:37:30

I want a much bigger garden too. I guess there's nothing actually wrong with my house at all. I'm just after a different lifestyle (would like chickens!).

3 viewings is good MrsJamin - sounds like your house could be in demand! I really hate short notice viewings.

sailorsgal Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:37

I have a great view at the moment but it is going to be only for 9 years when they propose to finish the development that I live on. This may put buyers off.

CuddyMum Sun 03-Feb-13 11:57:07

Off to view a house at 5.00 pm! Still waiting to hear if Mr I Don't Actually Like Your House will up his offer. I very much doubt he will.

CuddyMum Sun 03-Feb-13 15:34:48

As expected my prospective purchaser if refusing to negotiate on price - it's take it or leave it! My husband is wearing what I call "the face" and is putting obstacles in the way when I try to make sensible suggestions. At the moment, I'm emailing all the agents to see if they know of anything suitable for us to buy or even rent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now