Post flood I am having difficulty finding wallpaper/laminate at the prices suggested by the insurance company: am I missing something?

(21 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 10:43:00

He has put down £5.50 for textured wallpaper & in B&Q it starts at about £8 does anyone know where I can get cheaper textured wallpaper?

Plus I can't work out the price per sqm for laminate as they all have different amounts in the pack - is there an easier way?

If you go on DIY.com (b and q) does it not also show the price in metres?

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 10:48:08

Only on about a third of the laminates (unless I am being dim)

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 11:35:55

& I have searched the net & I can't find 'leafy' embossed/textured wallpaper for less than about £8 sad

Have you tried typing 'embossed' into the search at wallpaper direct? They start at £7.99 there, although I'm not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for (there are leafy ones smile )

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 12:58:09

Thanks - but I only have £5.50 sad

avivabeaver Sun 18-Nov-12 13:06:18

Katy is the he a loss adjuster?

Ask him to point you in the direction of why he has quoted this value.

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 13:17:14

That's what I was thinking...

The wallpaper & laminate price is so low and the bathroom floor price so high hmm

I was thinking the same...maybe he has some access to cheap wallpaper - if so can he share it. If not for him to be more realistic in his prices! If when you question him you have some examples of what you would like - ie make his job easier - then hopefully he will adjust it.

Sending another hug.

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 13:51:28

I found an OK(ish) on for £6 but I think the pattern is a bit big

ClareMarriott Sun 18-Nov-12 16:07:42

Dear Katymac

Your household policy will most likely have been written on the basis of New for Old cover ie, a chair that is damaged now gets replaced for what it costs now not for what it originally cost. If there is a loss adjuster acting for the insurance company, then I think you should discuss with him/her about what the costs for the wallpaper could be , as essentially you need to be put back in the position you were before the flood occurred.

nocake Sun 18-Nov-12 16:10:17

Are you sure that's £5.50 per roll and not per square meter? A loss adjuster is likely to have standard figures per sq m for wall and floor coverings.

Selks Sun 18-Nov-12 16:11:26

Yes, what Clare said. I'm in the same position as you OP and have had to query a lot of what the loss adjuster initially offered. Eventually they offered more. You don't have to accept what they initially offer.

SkiBumMum Sun 18-Nov-12 16:21:05

Push back with lots and lots of evidence.
Get floor places to quote you for laminate. The more you phone them with reasonable arguments, the more they will budge. They bank on people accepting the offers.

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 16:21:09

nocakes - it's definitely 'per roll' on the piece of paper he left

So it's a negotiation, rather than an instruction.....OK

The bathroom is easy - I want exactly the same as before it's only about 2 months old & waaa-aaay less than the allowance they have given me.

But the laminate is very confusing as all the packs are different sizes & I can't really find wallpaper I like (yet) - even if I ignore the price

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 16:33:32

I found mine I like it

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 18-Nov-12 16:37:58

Homebase have three on their website between £4.49 and £4.99
here

WeAllHaveWings Sun 18-Nov-12 16:43:15

When we had a flood and the carpet needed replaced the loss adjuster told us the price per sq meter we were allowed for the exact same type/quality of carpet at Carpet Wise (he told us the store to go to and knew all the prices of all the local stores).

Went in and arranged with Carpet Wise (think we got a slightly dearer one and paid the difference) and insurance company paid them direct.

I would contact him and tell him the price the paper is in B&Q and ask him to change his quote or tell you where he gets it cheaper.

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 16:57:40

Oh I'll look at Carpetwise for laminate

PigletJohn Sun 18-Nov-12 17:07:38

surely they are meant to pay a "fitted" price which includes the cost of a decorator hanging paper of a floorer laying the floor?

When I had a burst pipe, I wentt o a carpet contractor who include removal, new underlay, new grippers, new thresholds, fitting, and the new carpet. I tool the insurers figures to him and she showed me the carpets I could have at that price (I had beter in some rooms and cheaper in one, inside the overall figure, and also paid him extra privately for a bit more of the bedroom carpet I liked for a non-damaged room outside the claim, he did a good rate as it was part of a large order)

Ask how he has calculated his figure.

KatyMac Sun 18-Nov-12 17:12:01

They have people coming in to do it; which is a pain 'cos my mate would probably have done half of it by now (well he wouldn't because it's still drying but you know what I mean)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now