Sticking vinyl tiles to floorboards

(30 Posts)
Spindelina Fri 16-Nov-12 11:19:49

I'm planning to lay some cheap ish vinyl wood effect plank things on top of tongue and groove, which is in pretty poor condition. This is a temporary solution, to stop imminently crawling dd getting splinters - we plan to get a nice floor at some point. Although round here temporary solutions have a habit of lasting longer than we had planned.

My question: do I really need to seal the floorboards with PVA? Or can I just lightly sand, damp dust, and leave to dry?

confusedperson Sat 17-Nov-12 17:23:53

Spindelina, your floorboards look like mine - mine flex too, but I barely notice this now as they covered by the vinyl. I did not lay any plywood or anything under the vinyl. It is just floorboards and thick felt-backed vinyl. My kitchen/diner is also big, about 4.5m x 4m. I fitted it myself (I am a women) within about 4-5 hours, while my family was asleep. It was heavy roll and not easy but I did it. I will try to find the link on ebay for you.

confusedperson Sat 17-Nov-12 17:27:51

Here it is: [[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dark-Natural-Oak-Wood-Vinyl-Flooring-FELTBACK-LINO-4m-/190446776632?pt=UK_Flooring&var=490016537784&hash=item2c57833138 this] It say sit can be laid on uneven surfaces. Just make sure there are no nails sticking out.

confusedperson Sat 17-Nov-12 17:28:16
Spindelina Sat 17-Nov-12 19:17:56

Confused that's exactly what I'd do (and have done before) if I could get the furniture and boxes out. These boards aren't even particularly lumpy, so it might even look good!

I've got a couple of small ish bits of hardboard and a pack of tiles, so once dd is in bed (feeding atm), we'll see how well it goes.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sun 25-Nov-12 23:02:09

Hi, so pleased to find this thread....did you ave any joins, confused? Thx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now