Where can I buy a thirties style front door?

(9 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Thu 15-Nov-12 22:55:57

Oh sorry should have said thanks to Wendy too for website suggestion and to Ivy for idea of contacting local builders. Not too many properties of that period round here but maybe worth an ask.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Thu 15-Nov-12 22:53:09

Thanks York and Bo, will check out those websites. We're in Scotland but will ser if they deliver up north.

Sausage, sadly our current door is only pretendy Victorian, not the real thing, so of no interest to salvage/reclamation places. We've already tried to source a replacement from there but haven't found one the right size (who knew that door sizes varied so much!)

BoBoo Thu 15-Nov-12 14:45:58

Where are you? These are in SE London www.londondoor.co.uk/

Yorkville Thu 15-Nov-12 14:00:39

I'm getting my 1930s door stripped in a few weeks and noticed a few doors for sale which sound like what you're looking for when I visited the shop (I was actually looking for a cast iron fireplace!). The website is www.strippadoor.co.uk and it looks like they deliver nationally.

wendybird77 Thu 15-Nov-12 12:36:39

Anything here: http://www.periodstyle.co.uk/external-period-doors-31-c.asp

Sausagedog27 Thu 15-Nov-12 11:52:38

Try a local reclamation yard? If your current one is Victorian they might be interested in having that as well.

ivykaty44 Wed 14-Nov-12 21:33:29

as many will replace original doors with new pvc and take the old door to the tip, as they can't get rid of them

ivykaty44 Wed 14-Nov-12 21:32:51

speak to a fe local builders and ask them to look out for one for you - tell them how much you are prepared to pay for a door in reasnable condition.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 14-Nov-12 21:29:04

We have a 30s house with a battered fake Victorian timber door. Since we moved in, I've wanted to replace it with one that suits the property. Only one house in the street has an original front door but ideally I'd like one to match it (timber, oval glass with beading, fairly typical 30s design) and I've spent many fruitless hours on salvage websites and eBay looking for one the right size and all my Googling hasn't found me the right style of door on the websites that sell new doors.

So... Is there a website where you can specify a style of door to be made? Could a good local joiner do it, do you think, or can they only fit ready-made doors? Any experience of this or suggestions of where next to look gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now