Support thread for MN's trying to buy a house(311 Posts)
I can't find another thread like this, and I thought we could do with a sister thread to the trying to sell.
Thought I'd kick off with my rage!
Currently exchanged on the house that I have sold and living in husbands work accomodation so my situation is not dire, but still.
We offered on a property in August. It is a vacant property, and we said that we would like to exchange contracts 18th October with a view to complete no later than 1st November. We got the house at 95.8% of the market price.
So far we have not received the fixtures and fittings list, even though the vendor completed them the week before last. I have been back several times to measure up for lino in the bathrooms/curtains/take pictures of holes in the wall (for my decorator - there are lots). Went back this weekend just gone to check a couple of things (I always forget something) and the vendor has taken all of the bathroom fittings (toilet roll holder, etc), all of the curtain poles, all of the blinds. Now I am beginning to get a bit worried she is going to pull up all the carpets as well (not budgeted for them). I know I am going to have to wait until I get the F&F list but I am feeling slightly nervous at the potential cost of replacing things like carpets now (the whole house - 5 bed is carpetted). Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh.
My old man is going away for business just as we are due to complete as well, so it is going to have to be me to deal with it all. Really looking forward to this move.......NOT!!!!
Never EVER doing this again.
Congratulations on those who have had offers accepted.
We're still waiting to hear back about our latest offer. We increased it very slightly over the offer we made a couple of weeks ago. The agent recommended that the vendors accept but I think they want to hold out. We made it early Monday and we're still waiting to hear back.
Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. They're obviously mulling it over but we've got no idea which way they'll go.
Bye financialwizard, all the best in your new home.
Haven't been able to check in much, but glad to see some offers accepted.
We have had a builder to look at some of issues from the survey and quote is not too bad, so hopefully all systems go, although all is very quiet from our solicitor. Need to do some chasing methinks.
Any news tutto?
We've waiting to hear about mortgages - they've been agreed in principle and the full applications have gone in. We 've instructed solicitors and they seem very efficient and nice, which is good. Off t o see the house again next week and we'll also commission the survey.
Still very early dats but it's looking positive at the moment... Fingers crossed for everyone else.
Haven't been on here in a while, but just thought I'd check in to say I'm picking up the keys for my new house this afternoon!
That's so exciting! Congratulations AlexanderS
Yes our (higher) offer was accepted. We've got to work on finalising the mortgage offer now. We've got an agreement in principle. Solicitors have been found.
Only issue is a previous claim on insurance relating to subsidence from 10 years ago - turned out it wasn't subsidence after monitoring of the house and the issues were quite minor. However it appears to place some limits on who will insure the place. The current owners have insurance and the cost isn't outrageous so should be ok. Getting a friend who is a surveyor to look at the paperwork though. We're going to get a full structural survey though to double check everything.
Neither of us in a chain so hopefully things will go smoothly. Can't quite believe this might actually happen.
Sounds like we're at the same stage as you tutto - not in a chain, just finalising the mortgage offer. We're waiting to hear what documentation the lenders will want to see. Do you have ny idea of when you want to move?
Yes we're hoping to move in late January / early February. What about you?
Spoke to the estate agents' mortgage broker today and he found us a slightly better deal than the one we came up with. Going to send him the paperwork on Monday to get things rolling.
The borough we're moving to has an extra month to get applications in for primary schools, known as late for a good reason. I hope moving house qualifies but I'm going to contact the local authority this week. We should be in a position to exchange by 15 January so maybe that will suffice.
We went to look at it again today and I feel really excited about moving. It very much needs a new kitchen but it will do until we've got some spare cash. Nothing else seems to need work, bit tired but liveable, but we'll see if the survey throws anything up.
Excellent news AlexanderS! Are you moving in straight away?
And great news TuttoRhino. Envious you'll be able to move in straight away.
We are also not in a chain but are buying a place which needs renovating. So won't be moving in straight away as needs dampproofing, rewiring, loads of woodchip removing and as a result of all that replastering! And some building work. But we have gone in eyes open and price we are paying reflects the condition. So rather daunting as I haven't finished some painting I started on maternity leave two years ago!
Paperwork goes to broker tomorrow and one of the valuations is happening tomorrow as well.
Also have a 4-rising but I'm not too worried about applications as the new school will have space (small classes) and we're visiting it this week and they know we're after a place. I'll do a mid-transfer for the older DCs as soon as we've some idea of exchange dates.
TBH, I'm not convinced we're going to get our mortgage offers in this climate - we're changing a residential mortgage into BTL, which they're not keen on - trying to stay positive though!
Not a lot happening here at the moment! We've sent all the paperwork to the mortgage lenders (last bit went today, they forgot to ask us for something...) and our solicitors are waiting to hear from the vendor's solicitors to start the searches.
Our vendor has had an offer accepted on another property so keen to get things moving as she needs OUR money for her new place!
Evening all first post on this thread...found the house, deposit sorted, appt at 10am tomorrow for mortgage approval in principle. Excited, nervous...what can I expect folks?!
Congrats Mum2Fergus. Hmm that it will be really slow?
We spent a week faffing about with the mortgage & brokers only to get things moving on late Friday. Hopefully the survey will be carried out this week. Sent the forms to the solicitors this evening. We're still waiting to hear about the mortgage amount. I'm really not sure how everything works in practice as to whether the final amount only gets confirmed after the survey is carried out. We've got an approximate 55% LTV ratio so am hoping there won't be too many delays.
I'm trying not to get too excited in case the survey comes back with nasty surprises but it's so difficult.
Mortgage approved in principle, Sols has Home Report and have formed basis of initial offer. Waiting to hear back from her .....
So initial (and in all honest, cheeky) offer was declined...but we've since met in the middle. Offer accepted subject to my arranging gas safety inspection which is booked for next week...all good!
We have our full mortgage offer!
DP spoke to the solicitor earlier and we're looking at early January for completion. It turns out our vendor is selling two properties and the paperwork for OUR solicitors just may have gone to the solicitors for the other buyers - but hopefully all the searches will be done in the next couple of weeks!
good luck Mum2Fergus - we had our offer accepted at the beginning of November but after lots of stopping and starting things appear to be moving again! (I have come to the ocnclusion that buying a house is a bit like rush hour on the M5!)
Our crap neighbour is getting loud at the moment, I can hear some sort of gangsta rap through the walls, but I sort of want to go round there and give him a hug as if it wasn't for the fact he was such a shit neighbour we'd still be renting here and never would have got our arses into gear and bought a batter house in a nicer area!
a better house, not a batter house.... I blame the vibrations coming through the wall affecting my typing!
Thanks Ruby! Delighted to read things are finally moving for you too! Our offer was subject to satisfactory gas safety inspection...its arranged for Tue morn...fingers crossed!
Signing up - we've sold and are moving into rented to give ourselves time to find somewhere we really like (we're moving area and are looking for a long term family home so don't want to rush, even with a new baby!). We're currently in Orkney and moving to Fife so we can't just go and view places just yet - without ferry crossing and an 8 hour drive or a £500 plane trip so we're searching remotely on rightmove until we head south next month.
We just signed the rental agreement and lo and behold our ideal house comes on the market - I was worrying that we'd lose it before we even had time to view so I'm pretty chuffed to hear from everyone's experiences that the market and completions are slow going. Hopefully the timing could work out perfectly that we could make an offer and coincide move in dates with our six month rental contract end. Ahhh things are never that straight forward with house selling and buying are they?!
Hi YellowWellies, and welcome! Im in Fife now, Dunfermline to be exact. We've an offer in on a house in Kirkliston, just the other side of the Bridge. If you need anything locally please do let me know
Fab hi M2Fergus - we're looking between Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy ideally Aberdour, Kinghorn, N Queensferry or Burntisland (though love South Queensferry too but not how little house you get for your money). I love Fife - we lived there a few years ago - it's so nice being close to Edinburgh and the countryside. Kirkliston is a cracking spot too - are you going for one of the new ones there? The market seems quite slow looking at the reductions I'm seeing on property bee - how have you found it?
Not the new ines...we found cracking wee house directly opposite the Primary School. I know its not Fife, but have you seen the plans for Winchburgh? £1b investment over next 15 years...it will be Scotlands newest town...Barratt and Miller are the 2 developers that are onsite now. I was actually on way back from Barratt open event when I spied the Kirkliston house! My thinking is village life but with the new town (just about) on the doorstop.
Dunfermline (IMO) is overdeveloped hence our move. DS is only 3 but already we're on our 3rd choice Primary School! So heaven knows how it will be when he's due to attend.
That's a really good point about the schools! Thanks for the tips!
You're welcome...as I said, if you need anything checking out locally, please do let me know.
Hey again! Just wanted to say thanks and Cheerio to you all! Just spent first night in our very first home of our own!!!
We managed to view and complete within six weeks (Scotland) so it can be done!
Best of luck to everyone on this exciting journey! Xxx
Join the discussion
Please login first.