Kitchen countertop - which one would you buy again?

(123 Posts)
cabbageandbeans Tue 13-Mar-12 21:42:25

We are buying a new kitchen and I am really confused about which type of countertop to buy.....

1)Laminate - Have had in the past and I reckon I will chip this easily.

2)Granite - tempted but not black because I reckon I'll have to shine it up ALL the time!

3)Corian - I know very little about this but I was thinking about a light colour and worried about stains, tea etc - on my current light laminate - I always use bleach for stains but have no idea if I can do this with corian.

If I do go for Granite - I guess it would be a lighter colour (maybe oatmeal shade - but have no idea how easy this is to keep looking good. But really don't know because I would like to get a white kitchen (am I crazy with 2 kids?)

I am after low maintenance as REALLY do not want to spend my life trying to make it look bloody perfect!

What have you got and would you buy it again?

captainmummy Mon 19-Mar-12 19:57:54

Ok Beetroot tonight, and felt tip pen. Can't do red wine at the mo, as am on the wagon for 3 weeks.

Stay tuned!

HansieMom Mon 19-Mar-12 21:31:04

Cabbage, I would never have tile on counters again. Floor and backsplash fine and even desirable. But I had 4" tile on counters. Peach with peach grout. I had to be so careful.

HansieMom Mon 19-Mar-12 21:53:11

I never bought purple grape juice all the years I had that peach tile. I had glass cutting boards in work areas.

I did have light tile with fairly light grout in entry. When cleaning, FIRST I had to clean floor, then I could scrub it. Otherwise I would be smearing mud around and staining the grout.

BettyBathroom Mon 19-Mar-12 22:17:11

We have Silestone - white with a small fleck - it stains like buggery, red wine and turmeric, coffee too. You can remove the stains using a green scourer and a damned hard scrub. The Silestone rep said that it's only a stain if it can't be removed - also suggested some people were very lazy and didn't clean things up straight away and what did they expect? hmm I wanted a wash over with an e-cloth cloth with soapy water and go and that is not what I got.

captainmummy Tue 20-Mar-12 14:18:15

Oh turmeric - forgot about turmeric! Will have to test for that tonight!

cabbage - beetroot and green felt pen, no prob at all. Wiped straight off the Maia this morning. Turmeric maybe a different story (once had to throw away a whole suitcase of clothes after a curry-chutney leaked on flight back from SA.)

Maia is looking like an entry!

jasminerice Tue 20-Mar-12 14:22:15

Has anyone got a light/white quartz they could do some testing on please?!

BettyBathroom Tue 20-Mar-12 14:51:01

Tbh the turmeric sorts itself out - daylight is enough to remove the colour. If you want to do sample staining just order samples from the manufacturer.

newgirl Tue 20-Mar-12 16:11:30

Maia - definitely

Two friends had it over the past five years and it looked amazing. So we had it put in our last house and it was fab. It was a small dark ish room so black granite etc would have looked terrible - the white maia transformed the room. It does stain but you rub it with a brillo spongey thing and it is perfect again.

We now have black granite and i would change it for maia if I had the money. Not worried about the odd smear etc as im not that houseproud - it just looks a bit blokey and 80s.

captainmummy Wed 21-Mar-12 08:08:26

Left a spoonful of turmeric (actually curry poiwder) overnight on maia and it was wiped off this morning. Left a tiny amount ofyellowing, which i scrubbed with Jif. Will leave to see if 'daylight' removes it, per Betty.

cabbageandbeans Sun 25-Mar-12 15:57:03

Captain you are a good sales woman! I am seriously considering the maia now.

cabbageandbeans Tue 27-Nov-12 23:09:50

bump myself back on the scene. It has been delayed but now I have to commit!

gremlinmum Wed 28-Nov-12 15:17:02

Same position as you cabbageandbeans i'm thinking of granite myself black with flecks maybe? Keep us posted!!

cabbageandbeans Wed 28-Nov-12 20:01:40

It's all down to the quotes I get. I like maia, corian etc but not sure what colour. Definatley getting white cupboards. I am on a budget but was to spend more on counter to make it look more expensive overall. But a bit lost TBH!

gremlinmum Wed 28-Nov-12 20:40:42

Me 2!!! sad too many decisions!!!

cabbageandbeans Thu 17-Jan-13 23:18:18

There may not be a soul out there who is actually interested but if you are I have FINALLY decided to go for a white coloured quartz with a Howdens Tewksbury Skye Kitchen. Ta Dah!! Only took me almost one year to decide!

maidinheaven Sat 19-Jan-13 19:31:29

We've had the black quartz with mirror flecks for almost three years and we're still delighted with it so good choice IMO cabbageandbeans. Did lots of research before we decided, some of it here on MN and did consider Corian but was happy with the choice we made. DH is taking a new position and we have to relocate so have to leave my beautiful kitchen behind boo hoo!!
Good place to research kitchens and worktops is Tim Foley's blog. We bought our quartz from them and would be happy to do same again if needed.
This is the link www.kitchensfitted.co.uk/blog/
I also like the look of Maia but DH tells me it's not as good as Corian. Maybe he should speak to captainmummy :-)

LeChance Wed 23-Jan-13 00:01:33

Looking at quartz for worktops....any opinions/advice re. colour scheme for my (first ever!) new kitchen would be appreciated. Keen on gloss cream units, pale grey amtico stone-effect floor tiles and mid-blue quartz worktops. Cannot find any posh designer pics of such a kitchen - does this mean I'm hopelessly behind the times ahead of the curve with the next big trend? Earth colours are everywhere at the mo (and lovely) but I've got a lighter, fresher look in my head. Any thoughts/ideas/hysterical laughter welcome!

Never heard of Maia but I like the look of it. So far every worktop seems to have a disadvantage (cost aside)

- wood rots
- granite will smash anything dropped on it
- quartz would smash my glasses too I guess?
- recycled glass likewise? don't know enough about it, maybe it's not common enough yet for opinions. Recycled plastic likewise
- laminate chips
- some worktops stain

How about Maia? Must be something wrong with it!

annalouiseh Wed 23-Jan-13 13:38:03

Maia or any acrylic scratches easily, can stain so will need rubbing out.
Not the best with heat compared with others and you need a good fitter to fit.
on the plus side its seemless

So nothing is perfect? Grrr!

annalouiseh Wed 23-Jan-13 14:56:21

Quartz will be your best bet if your after the most durable.
we have it and have done for 3 yrs and never broke anything on it and im not the most careful.
regardless what top you have if you drop something, the chances are it will land on the floor and smash anyway.
Think on how you use your kitchen and what you want from it.
Although granites and quartz are hard if you want low maintenance and not to be careful this will tick your boxes

SkivingAgain Wed 23-Jan-13 15:30:29

Don't know if anyone has already suggested this. A few years ago I saw one of those house-do-it-upper type TV shows and the worktops were made of recycled glass and looked fabulous.

www.vetrazzo.com/eng/products/color_palette/all#products

SkivingAgain Wed 23-Jan-13 15:36:43

http://www.bottlealleyglass.co.uk/ this is a UK site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now