Dh job may reloacate to Ellesmere Port- what is it like?

(64 Posts)
cheekymonk Fri 10-Feb-12 09:20:55

Well thats it really. We currently live in Portsmouth and company have just been sold. DH may be asked to transfer up to Ellesmere Port. Have looked at Up on street and its not that complimentary! If it is horrible, any suggestions for anywhere nearby that is ok? Thanks x

cheekymonk Sun 12-Feb-12 09:35:12

I wasn't saying that your area was stuffy emsyj, I was just trying to paint a picture as everyone has different ideas of rough and nice. I have no idea what the north end of Birkenhead is like so again, not passing judgement.Please don't be offended.
As I said this has been really helpful. Lots of food for thought!

cheekymonk Sun 12-Feb-12 09:39:19

By me, here in portsmouth there is a nice area that many aspire to and they get funny if you park outside their house, nearly every house has a no junk mail sign and a couple of houses have a no driving instruction in front of my house poster on their window! I just find it a bit much tbh. Its all a bit precious. Could be a south coast thing!

cheekymonk Sun 12-Feb-12 12:17:54

spotty26 Sun 12-Feb-12 16:09:07

The north end is definitely not precious (hee). I think Moreton is a good call, Woodchurch is sort of between Prenton and Moreton/Upton. I recommend you go up for a weekend, stay in Travelodge and drive around all of these areas mentioned. You will get a feel for the geography, see how close all are to m53/a41. styles of property in each area

cheekymonkey That definitely sounds like a south coast thing, putting polite notices in windows. grin

Wouldn't get any of that up here, oh no....

The offenders would just be told, good and proper.

<tough up north>

cheekymonk Sun 12-Feb-12 16:58:54

smile yes definitely plan having a weekend up there! Can't wait- I love Liverpool!

cheekymonk Thu 02-Aug-12 16:56:07

An update! We all went up last weekend. stayed in TL in Eastham (christ, worst TL I have ever stayed in but nevermind!) Wow, so glad we went! Dh first drove us to West kirby, Caldy etc (beautiful but out of our league) then round parts of Birkenhead. I found it threatening and not at all somewhere I would want to live but obviously we didn't cover every road. Then tour round Woodchurch which wasn't too bad, preferred it to birkenhead but schools are the problem. bebington surprised me, a real mix of run down and ok. Bromborough seemed the same. Rock ferry and New ferry weren't quite as bad as i expected but I just felt a bit depressed driving round. I loved prenton and Oxton, definitely my fave areas. i liked the 1930's houses on a lot of the main roads too, set back off the roads which makes them more appealing! The people were generally very friendly and warm (apart from estate agent- lol!) but I did get a sense of culture shock! Cheshire Oaks looks amazing but there seem few chain shops in the wirral generally apart from supermarkets. I just worry that our budget is still very tight and doesn't buy us that much more than down here sad

herethereandeverywhere Thu 02-Aug-12 23:36:14

Can't go far wrong with Prenton and Oxton. Most people on the Wirral just go to Liverpool for shopping (or Cheshire Oaks) hence no real decent shopping area but you won't miss it and you're right, downtown Birkenhead IS threatening!

peacypops Fri 03-Aug-12 11:11:10

Vote for Oxton from me (having grown up there and with parents still living there) Nice village and lovely houses - and very easy to travel to Liverpool. Prenton nice too. Birkenhead town centre has really declined over past few years but like previous poster said, there is really no need to venture there with Liverpool being so handy.

cheekymonk Fri 03-Aug-12 16:49:28

Thanks both!

Rowma Thu 15-Nov-12 23:01:09

I found this thread by accident when I was trawling the web looking for info about areas in Liverpool which were good for househunting. Like Cheekymonk, I am relocating because my partner has a new job in Liverpool. I currently live in a cheap area and prices in Merseyside are roughly double, so it's going to cost a lot for something as nice as the house I have now. We've been looking for a while but the only house we really like is in Rock Park in Rockferry. Its a beautiful house (large period property-beautifully renovated), but I am worried about the area. I am aware that parts of Rockferry aren't great, but the house is located a bit away from the problem areas. Love the house but worried about whether it's wise to buy there- am very stressed, confused, and need some sensible advice-hope you can help

peasabovesticks Thu 15-Nov-12 23:10:47

Do you have to live on the Wirral? Could you not move to Liverpool and your DH commute to EP?

Agree with all the advice already given. There ate definitely some areas to avoid and if I were you I'd try my best to get something in Hoylake or West Kirkby.

peasabovesticks Thu 15-Nov-12 23:11:44

What's your budget Rowma?

spotty26 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:42:49

I know some of the houses are stunning in Rock Ferry. I can see how you may fall in love with them too.

I love period houses but I would suggest something similar in Oxton, where it is not so down at heel, might be better? There is a reason Phil and Kirsty's programme is called Location Location Location isn't there... Oxton has similar large Victorian houses that is why I suggest that area.

Sorry to poo poo the Rock Ferry choice. I have not lived on the Wirral for 15 years so you may wish to take my advice with a pinch of salt. To me it looks to have declined in that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now