Dh job may reloacate to Ellesmere Port- what is it like?

(64 Posts)
cheekymonk Fri 10-Feb-12 09:20:55

Well thats it really. We currently live in Portsmouth and company have just been sold. DH may be asked to transfer up to Ellesmere Port. Have looked at Up on street and its not that complimentary! If it is horrible, any suggestions for anywhere nearby that is ok? Thanks x

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 13:07:11

Just looked at chester and Blacon keeps coming up. I take it thats not that nice?

Kangarobber Sat 11-Feb-12 13:53:58

I don't know that area well. It has a pretty substantial ex-council estate. I think the some of the primaries are good or outstanding, but the secondary doesn't look brilliant on paper.

Kangarobber Sat 11-Feb-12 13:54:18

Have you tried asking on MN local?

ellybett Sat 11-Feb-12 14:11:12

For the budget you'd be unlikely to get chester but in this climate you really never know! It would be a very short commute to work for dh and its a wonderful place to live.

We rented in chester and when we couldn't afford to buy there bought a 3bed semi in bebington which is a lot quieter, but excellent schools and close to good facilities. Some of woodchurch is nice but risky if you don't know the area. Other options could be eastham or bromborough in your price range. Also definitely check out the seaside town of new Brighton, worth a visit if your house hunting. About half hour drive to EP.

Good Luck!

ellybett Sat 11-Feb-12 14:11:47

Stay away from blacon!!!

Blacon would be very affordable but it's the socially deprived part of Chester. It is however, very mixed. I saw some lovely houses there when I had to go to Blacon Health Centre recently.

CupOfBrownJoy Sat 11-Feb-12 14:30:26

Don't go for Blacon!!

I second North Wales - its max 20 mins/half an hour to Ellesmere Port with good transport links.

Look around Mold, as anywhere else into Wales lacks the motorway and will take you that bit longer to get into work (eg Ruthin and Denbigh, although they are - in parts - very nice).

There are some lovely villages and its a lot cheaper than Chester and some parts of the Wirral.

Stay away from Deeside, Queensferry, Shotton or anywhere along that part of the Chester bypass.

Look at Northop, Sychdyn, Mold itself, Buckley (in parts), Ewloe, Drury. Good value, decent transport links and I hear the local comp is pretty good these days.

Nercwys, Lixwm, Nannerch, Cilcain and Hendre are very pretty and rural, and a little bit more expensive.

pm me if you need any more info on this area of Wales or Chester (local born and bred!)

HTH

Blacon not ideal. I lived in Saltney which was considered 'rough' but had some nicer parts. What about somewhere like Holywell? Just thinking where else is near, Flint, Buckley and Mold have some nice parts.

Zhx3 Sat 11-Feb-12 14:36:10

Do you have dc? Wirral Grammars and Calday/West Kirby Grammars are excellent schools. Birkenhead High School is now non-fee paying.

£110k for a 3 bed place might not get you into the West Wirral areas. I have friends who own a lovely place in Great Sutton (just off A41). Oxton, Prenton, Bromborough/Spital have nice houses, also good access to th A41/M53.

CupOfBrownJoy Sat 11-Feb-12 15:04:03

Holywell and Flint are not good, imo....

Is Holywell not nice these days? I grew up in Colwyn Bay and my parents lived there until 3 years ago. I moved to Chester 15 years ago and then Manchester 12 years ago.

CupOfBrownJoy Sat 11-Feb-12 16:57:51

Holywell is awful, tbh. Locals call it "Holyhell"... very rough (someone from Holywell will post next and extol its virtues, I'm sure smile)

Wow. I am surprised. What about thatbit just before you get into Holywell that had some big new builds. We used to go to Greenfield Marketa lot when I was a teen. There'ssome shocking areas round there- very deprived.

spotty26 Sat 11-Feb-12 18:26:46

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32852788.html?premiumA=true

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32535184.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35214878.html

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 20:22:23

I love the Claughton one spotty26! I take it you know the area and that these houses are in good areas! They are very nice but pushing our budget a bit. Thank you, will look a bit more...

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 20:28:00

Yes have dc. DD is 1 and DS is 7

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 20:33:48

Thanks cupofbrownjoy, just been looking at some of the houses in thoses areas. Deeside is prolific! keeps coming up! Thanks for your advice

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 20:34:14

kangarobber yes should try MN local thanks

spotty26 Sat 11-Feb-12 20:50:26

Yep I grew up there and family all still there, sorry was BFing my baby so stuck on the links one handed!

I think the market is such that you could get these for less. My Auntie's house was on the market for 3 years, some unrealistic pricing I expect.

Claughton village is nice, some local shops for essentials and close to M53. It does border the less salubrious area (north end of bhead/bidston) which have been mentioned but there are some lovely roads and Birkenhead Park is fantastic. On the other border there are the smart roads of Oxton and Noctorum so is like most places, take the rough with the smooth.

Bromborough and Eastham are cheapish and nearer to e.port. I prefer Claughton, Oxton, Prenton myself. What period house do you prefer? New build and 1970s onwards estates in Bebington, Bromborough and Eastham, some 30s semis. The birkenhead side (prenton, oxton, claughton) has more period properties, with spatterings of more moderns estates. My step sister lives on the Woodchurch estate and loves living there. Although a Local Authority estate when built I reckon most are now privately owned. They are big houses for the money and very convenient for the ep commute.

emsyj Sat 11-Feb-12 21:03:44

My mum lives in Claughton and I grew up there! I live in Meols now. I would personally say that the linked to house for sale is the north end tho (sorry). Wrong side of Upton Road...

But having said that, the 'flower' avenues seem popular - my mum knows a few people who live in that enclave and there seems a good sense of community round there. Like this. There are quite a few different houses around that price range on the flower avenues around there.

I much prefer where we live now though - and the schools are miles better here. You would need to spend a bit more to get something with 3 beds in Hoylake, Meols or West Kirby but I would far far rather live here than there...

This is Hoylake - here

Not much in West Kirby in that price range either but there is this and this

spotty26 Sat 11-Feb-12 21:11:27

Good knowledge emsyj I am more of a prenton girl sorry!

cheekymonk Sat 11-Feb-12 21:45:16

I guess it depends what you're after! I hate the stuffiness that can come with posher areas. Am happy with up and coming areas too. Thanks for the links emsyj but I think we are priced out of those areas really. £110k is most definte max budget.

emsyj Sat 11-Feb-12 21:52:06

I wouldn't describe the north end of Birkenhead as 'up and coming' hmm.

Thanks for the judgment that the area I live in is stuffy by the way... Where we live isn't posh, it's just normal and pleasant and has good schools and nice shops, restaurants etc. Caldy is posh...

There are lots of family houses within your budget in Moreton. There are good transport links, a selection of shops and it's much cheaper than where I live but not scary rough.

I would avoid Birkenhead altogether unless you rent there first and get to know the areas. It is a big area and very varied.

millymae Sat 11-Feb-12 22:47:42

I see no-one has mentioned Neston - it might be worth a look. Property prices are not too bad and there are several schools to choose from.

CharlieBoo Sun 12-Feb-12 09:09:06

Frodsham is gorgeous, as is Helsby, Mollington (my fave, but pricey). My inlaws live in Elton which is a villagey location near Ellesmere Port. It's a great area, with Chester, Liverpool, Manchester and Noryh Wales all close by. Lots to do and fab shopping. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now