Are you a primary school governor? A very simple question...

(99 Posts)
Wigeon Fri 08-Mar-13 13:14:47

...does the school provide tea and coffee for free at governor meetings (full meetings and sub-committees)?

My DH is. I think they do....but he said that the sandwiches were rubbish (he was there from 6 until 9.30 last night).

Fuzzymum1 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:24:13

I was a governor for 12 years, if we wanted a cuppa we could help ourselves in the meeting room before the meeting started, quite often there were jugs of water on the table. Sometimes someone would bring some cake or similar. Whatever was provided was never charged for. I hope the situation is the same as I am soon to go to my fist meeting as a new governor again.

Tiggles Fri 08-Mar-13 13:30:15

Nope.
Although meetings are only allowed to be 2hours long (not sure if that is a Welsh thing or not) so not really needed.

Wigeon Fri 08-Mar-13 13:33:27

He got sandwiches shock!

We have never been provided with tea/ coffee. Or even offered water out of plastic cups. In fact at last week's subcommittee (in the staff room), as people were coming in, the Deputy HT got up, made himself a coffee, didn't even offer anyone a glass of water, and sipped the coffee through the meeting.

Right at the end of the meeting, I suggested that it would be nice if there were basic refreshments at governor meetings (just tea and coffee), and the Deputy HT said "Well, I can tell you now that it won't be coming out of the school budget!". shock.

Just trying to assess whether refreshments are provided at all other governor meetings...

plainjayne123 Fri 08-Mar-13 13:36:35

Ridiculous attitude.

Yes. tea, coffee and biscuits.

For longer meetings and twilight training, sandwiches, salad, pizza and biscuits are provided.

Chocotrekkie Fri 08-Mar-13 13:48:18

We have a cuppa each to take into meetings just using the staff room stuff and for full govs head supplies snacks like crisps/ biscuits. For committee meetings no snacks on the table but he says to help ourselves to whatever is in the staff room before the meeting starts if we want....

EmmaGellerGreen Fri 08-Mar-13 13:48:25

We help ourselves to drinks and someone bring cakes.

rabbitstew Fri 08-Mar-13 13:48:39

Does the Deputy HT want a governing body???!!...

cakesaregood Fri 08-Mar-13 13:55:46

Most schools run a kitty for tea/coffee in the staffroom and in some staffrooms this is a very tetchy subject.

Even with a kitty though, lots of schools see visitors and volunteers as guests and do not begrudge them a little hospitality.

I'm guessing if I was a plumber, I wouldn't want to to be working at the deputy head's home!

Wigeon Fri 08-Mar-13 14:01:30

I was thinking about members of staff paying for tea via a kitty vs governors paying for their own tea. The big difference is that most employees do not expect their employer to pay for their food / drink during working hours (I certainly wouldn't expect my public sector employer to pay for my daytime cuppa). Volunteers are giving their time for free, and so it's completely different.

rabbitstew: actually, I think he would much prefer it if there wasn't a governing body. At this rate, his wish is going to come true!

starfishmummy Fri 08-Mar-13 14:04:12

Tea/coffee and occasionally biscuits. Drinks usually offered before the meeting starts so if you dash in at the last minute then you probably don't get a drink and have to sit looking at the plate of biscuits out of reach on the other side of the room!

lougle Fri 08-Mar-13 14:08:31

We have 15 on our Governing Body.

At each meeting there is an urn with tea bags, coffee, sugar and milk provided. Also 2 plates of biscuits.

seeker Fri 08-Mar-13 14:10:24

Free tea and coffee and biscuits.

I take cake. But I take cake to everything

I

choccyp1g Fri 08-Mar-13 14:13:12

Urns of hot water plus instant coffee and tea-bags to make your own tea plus plate of biscuits. Nothing fancy, but enough to make you feel welcome.
Same at the committee meetings too.

JakeBullet Fri 08-Mar-13 14:15:03

Its not actually provided but we CAN make it if we want to....sometimes I do

Wigeon Fri 08-Mar-13 14:16:33

I would not expect Twinnings leaf tea and freshly ground filter coffee - instant Nescafe plus Tesco own brand tea bags.

I have brought homemade cake or biscuits to each meeting so far...

ShatnersBassoon Fri 08-Mar-13 14:18:49

Yes, we can help ourselves to drinks and there's usually a plate of biscuits.

I'm not sure why any staff member would resent the Govs some light refreshments. It seems churlish and petty to deny you a drink.

PatriciaHolm Fri 08-Mar-13 14:23:31

Yes. It comes from the stash for parents, not the staff stash, I think.

Acinonyx Fri 08-Mar-13 15:52:22

Tea & coffee yes - but shock never sandwiches and certainly no hint of pizza shockshock

kneesofnorks Fri 08-Mar-13 15:55:29

ours are held in the staffroom, where we help ourselves to tea and coffee, theres always biscuits or cake and this week we had a training session where we had pizza, salad, crisps and even wine! that was unusual though grin

Fallenangle Fri 08-Mar-13 15:57:06

Well it not up to the DH what comes out of the school budget, it is up to the governors. Refreshments at meetings are a permissable expense, but someone will need to make the tea.

BonfireOfKleenex Fri 08-Mar-13 16:12:47

I can see that if there are staffroom wars over disappearing 'kitty' supplies then it might be difficult, but really the school should pay for a supply for guests and governers so that no-one feels awkward about it.

It comes out of the Hospitality Budget that is also used for events such as prizegivings etc.
The school cook is happy to provide a buffet for courses (paid to the catering provider).

A fair proportion of our Governing Body come straight from work to attend long evening meetings and training, so the Head agreed it was good practice to feed us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now