At what age did your child start reading for pleasure?

(116 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:16:14

I know it varies hugely and there isn't really a 'normal' here but I can't remember when my older boys started curling up with a book by choice.

All of my boys have learned to read quite easily and I remember there were times when both DS1 and DS2 were getting through books quicker than I could keep up with visiting the library! As a family we all love to read.

DS3 has just turned 6 and has been reading lime at school for a while and needs very little help with them, his teacher says his comprehension is good too - working at around 2A I think. He has lots of books with a variety of themes and styles but he's yet to make that move to wanting to read for pleasure. I'm not worried about him, he loves to be read to and loves audio books - he's having a chapter a night of harry potter at the moment and really enjoying it, but I am looking forward to the day he wants to curl up and read on a rainy day. instead of insisting we all play school assembly and sing

learnandsay Tue 05-Mar-13 18:34:37

Mine love Mr Men and John Burningham. My older one loves Beatrix Potter read to and to read, and she's reading Christian Anderson to me. She loves to listen to Alice in Wonderland and Wind in the Willows, (nearly all) stuff I had as a child.

Snog Tue 05-Mar-13 18:35:31

my dyslexic dd discovered the Hunger Games on holiday last summer

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 18:38:38

I'm reading Alice in Wonderland to my Y1 class at the moment

bigdog Tue 05-Mar-13 18:39:36

My daughter has read for pleasure ever since she learnt to read independently at around 2.5, but she's always ben a bit of a freak when it comes to reading and maths...

mrz, my dd has a similar reaction to Beatrix potter!

Dd started reading for pleasure at about 7.5 when she read HP but could not be bribed (dh tried!) to read Secret Seven. She really enjoyed Amelia Jane as well. Currently we are stuck in the realm of Animal Ark although she has an abridged version of Black Beautybthat she loves.

Ds was fixated on nonfiction until we saw The Hobbit at the cinema. He is now reading the book (while asking what some words mean - poetical ambiguity got Nima couple of weeks ago!) with gusto. He is 7.5.

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:03:56

My son preferred to read non fiction when he was very young but liked to listen to fiction. When he was older he enjoyed reading The Hobbit, The Earthsea books, The Dark is Rising series

NonnoMum Tue 05-Mar-13 19:10:00

DD nearly 8 is still not reading for pleasure. We still have to read to her every night.

She loves it and still seems not ready to read to herself.

seeker Tue 05-Mar-13 19:19:43

Being read to I'd very different to reading. My docs both loved having the "olden days" books read to them but had absolutely no desire to read them for themselves.

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:22:38

I agree seeker

Yes, here too. I read Treasure Island to my two and they thought it was very exciting. Would they read it themselves? I doubt it!

BooCanary Tue 05-Mar-13 19:27:58

Dd has enjoyed reading to ds since she just turned 6. However its only very recently (she's 6.5) that she's had her nose in a paperback at bedtime (Rainbow Fairies or Princess Mirrorbelle). She has to be told its lights out!

MrsShrek3 Tue 05-Mar-13 19:38:06

my dc are all still read to [mug emoticon] we all love sharing books.
as independent reading for pleasure goes - ds1 (severely dyslexic) within the last year, at 12
ds2 loved reading to himself at 5
dd 6 and a half.
they're all different. slightly dependent on personality and only a bit on reading ability imho. And a variety of stuff available to choose from.

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:43:43

I read a book to my daughter tonight ...she's 23 grin

seeker Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:47

I was going to claim the oldest read to-ers at 12 and 17, but you beat me! Not every night obviously, but if anyone's Ill orsad or it's snowing or it's Christmas or we're camping............

BooksandaCuppa Tue 05-Mar-13 21:01:55

This is veering into whole other thread territory, but I still read to my husband...he's 47 (and ds, 12). Does that count?

Beamur Tue 05-Mar-13 22:28:09

Booksandacuppa - that's sweet. My DP used to read to me too - but hasn't in ages! (co-incides with about when DD arrived...) Arabian Nights, Just so stories and the Moomins grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now