Opinions on book suitability please - teachers & parents

(29 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Tue 12-Feb-13 20:35:47

Can you tell me if you think this passage is suitable for a junior school child I've missed a few bits out as I havn't got all night to type!

His breath was hot and made my insides melt. Uncertain, confused, I tried to pull away but his kiss grew more urgent and all at once I didn't want to move away any more. I pulled him closer to me, wrapping my arms around him, kissing him just as desperately as he was kissing me.................

His hands were everywhere, moving over my arms, my breasts, my waist, my thighs. I pulled him closer and closer, my hands moving over his back, his bum and his legs. He raised my hands to pull off my jumper. I unbuttoned his shirt. He unfastened my bra. I unzipped his trousers. We stripped each other until we were both naked. And I was shaking.........We both knelt on the bed facing each other.

He lay me down gently, his hands and lips still exploring my body. I wanted to do the same to him.

Later in the book it seems the girl becomes pregnant.

I deliberately havn't put this in AIBU but I do want opinions.

VeryDullNameChange Wed 13-Feb-13 07:45:41

I tend to think that if a book is only suitable for a minority of 11 year olds (ie a small minority of year 6) then it's probably best kept out of a primary school library - if the relatively few children who would benefit from reading it have to wait six months to read it until they go to secondary school (or go to their public library) then this is not an OMG censorship problem.

Thanks for posting OP, DD (10, yr 6) is reading the other MB books at the moment and we'd discussed Noughts and Crosses and whether they'd be a good next step, I had a feeling they were aimed at older children but wasnt sure of the content - I'll hold off for a little while.

cory Wed 13-Feb-13 07:49:47

Difficult for schools to police as 11yos are such different levels of maturity.

Hard to say for sure that a book is wrong for all primary school children but no secondary school children: some 11.5 yos will be at secondary and some at primary simply depending on what part of the year they were born in.

And anyway, some parents (such as me) worry more about their children being exposed to violence and cynicism in literature than consensual sex.

Dd would have been fine with that book.

Funnily enough, dd's class read Macbeth in Yr 6; that has all sorts of unsuitable themes, but I didn't hear of any parent complaining.

VeryDullNameChange Wed 13-Feb-13 08:35:30

Difficult to police in most cases, but in this particular case pretty simple.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 13-Feb-13 09:38:36

Verydul. I've noticed it also says on the back cover Not suitable for younger readers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now