Mixing of year groups

(14 Posts)
Gardele Mon 11-Feb-13 22:04:58

Has anyone ever come across a school mix years 3/4 and 5 together !!!!!

SE13Mummy Mon 11-Feb-13 22:07:14

It does happen... some small schools have to do it, other schools may choose to do it so that children can be taught by stage instead of by age.

VeremyJyle Mon 11-Feb-13 22:07:35

I was in 3/4 then 4/5 (unfortunately same class each year and hated all of them,) however in year 5 we were all put together. Not sure what you wanted to know though smile

sittinginthesun Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:59

Only in maths.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 11-Feb-13 22:09:58

ours does 3/4 and 5/6 it has been a challenge if I am to be honest.

but not for learning reasons, more that we have challenging year groups above and below and a lovely group of children in our year group. sadly the behaviour levels mean that there is little teaching going on.

marquesas Mon 11-Feb-13 22:11:51

I have a friend whose children went to a school with mixed years like that, it was a small rural school - is that what you mean? I don't know all the ins and outs but might be able to help with general questions.

As far as I know she was very happy with the school and the way they ran the classes.

educator123 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:13:52

Our local school is small and currently has yrR&1 Together, yr2&3 together, and 4,5&6 together.

They assure us it only has positives as the children whom struggle can recap and the higher achievers can move forward...but it does worry me at times!

KateBeckett Mon 11-Feb-13 22:23:30

I almost taught a mixed year 3/4/5/6 as an nqt! It can happen in really small schools :/

Gardele Mon 11-Feb-13 22:25:10

My sons come home tonight with a letter saying they have a class 1 teacher leaving and no one to replace so having to put 3/4 and some of 5 together I just think its a lot of years to teach altogether !! Do we as parents have any rights!!! Why get a supply teacher !!!

marquesas Mon 11-Feb-13 22:36:10

In your situation I think whether it works will depend on the teacher, as far as I know with proper structuring of lessons it works fine to mix the ages. They can work in ability groups for maths/literacy and for the rest of the curriculum age may not matter.

How do the school know that they won't be able to replace the teacher - are they leaving without any notice?

Gardele Mon 11-Feb-13 22:42:33

Not had the right applicant as yet, and are saying its only temporary. My son had the teacher last year and couldn't cope with the class, to many boys!! Well I guess only time will tell. I just don't want him to fall back in his work.

Bunnyjo Tue 12-Feb-13 09:25:01

DD's school is a small village school - Class 1 ir YrR/1, Class 2 is Yr2/3 (although DD and a couple of other Yr1 children are also in that class) and class 3 is Yr4/5/6.

At the moment, I am finding the mixed year groups really effective; DD is academically able and she is able to do differentiated work with the Yr2 groups, whilst still being in the same class as a couple of her year group. The school are used to teaching mixed year groups and are very successful at it.

janji Tue 12-Feb-13 09:33:44

I have worked in schools with mixed years 1,2 and 3 and mixed years 3,4,5,6. They have had amazing teachers but it is impossible to teach adequately despite classes being small and having support from teaching assistants. As a senior manager in a school, I would never send my own children to schools where this was the organisation of classes. I have seen too many children suffer the consequences despite heads trying to convince parents otherwise

noisytoys Tue 12-Feb-13 09:36:15

DDs school have 120 a year intake and mix up years for read, write inc and maths

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now