Which are the not for-profit private pre-prep/preps in West London?

(8 Posts)
Mominatrix Tue 29-Jan-13 22:47:42

Hammersmith, Chiswick, Barnes, Putney.

tinytalker Tue 29-Jan-13 22:14:33

West London is huge! Where exactly are you looking?

Mominatrix Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:54

My catchment state school was in special measures in the not too distant past, and had to be closed. I don't think that would be an option. The best state school in the area is very close to me, but it is catholic, and I am a fervent athiest.

narmada Tue 29-Jan-13 21:05:09

You could always try a state school. They are guaranteed to be not for profit wink.

Sorry, I am being deliberately facetious smile But maybe something to consider.

Mominatrix Tue 29-Jan-13 20:18:29

hopeful bump. Surely there must be some pre-preps in west London which are not for-profit?

Mominatrix Tue 29-Jan-13 09:01:47

No, many London Pre preps and some preps are for-profit. Most senior schools and many preps have charitable status.

merrymouse Tue 29-Jan-13 06:49:42

I thought most private schools were not for profit as they were classified as charities?

(Sorry for out of the loop comment - my experience of education in west London is about 20 years out of date)

Mominatrix Tue 29-Jan-13 06:38:24

I am looking to change schools for my younger son. He is currently in a French homologue school, but we would like to switch him into the English system for various reasons.

We are in West London, and our elder son went to a private pre-prep and is now at a selective prep. We were happy with the education he received at his pre-prep, but that was due to the teachers he had, who were fantastic. However, the school changed in ethos during our time there due too being taken over by a for-profit schools group just before we started. The changes took place during our time there and the environment changed due to a more pushy, corporate one. The increase in pushiness was probably exacerbated by the increase in pushiness of parents (used to have a more laid-back environment, now full of gung-ho parents who only want their son to go to Colet Court). Additionally, the idea of for-profit schools does bother me, particularly when school fees go up 5% each year, despite the school being "very profitable" (said by the deputy head), and the group made a net profit of £8 million from its London schools last year.

We have a spot reserved at this school, as his brother went there, however I wanted to see if there were still schools out there which were small and not in a for-profit school group. All the schools around me seem to be for-profit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now