Anyone with experience of sending your child part time only to reception??

(30 Posts)
DorsetLass Mon 21-Jan-13 23:07:46

I would be grateful for your thoughts. My daughter is due to start reception in sep - she is a late July birthday so quite young for her year. Academically I don't think she will struggle - but I think from a physical and stamina point of view full time school is going to be extremely hard. Do I consider flexi/part time schooling? Is this possible/beneficial/detrimental??? All advice gratefully received!!

mathanxiety Tue 22-Jan-13 17:04:41

Mu DCs went to early years in the US where their school only had part time for 4 yos and for 5-6 yos too. The 4 yo 'preschool' was half a day three or four days a week; you could choose whatever option suited you (half a day was 2.5 hours each day) and 'Kindergarten' was M-F, 2.5 hours each day. They were all ready for full day (8-3) by age 6-7 though it was a struggle at the start of First Grade. Academically and socially they didn't suffer at all. I would say it was exactly the opposite. A pity difficulties stand in the way of doing it for young children as children vary so much at this age.

jiggle Yes. You are right. But my dd has been in school already for an eternity (preschool since 2 due to having a disabled brother) and then into various forms of institutions because of our disabled son who is now at school. I think my dd would benefit from some time with me to develop our relationship as we have both missed out. And she seems to already know reception stuff.

tricot39 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:54:19

I am assuming that you have completed your application for a place and are now just wondering about whether to accept?

jigglebum Tue 22-Jan-13 19:49:54

starlight sorry to hear that - sounds like some time at home with you would be great too!

DorsetLass Tue 22-Jan-13 22:54:09

Thank you all for your advice - the school we are hoping she gets into does three weeks part time - then straight intro full after that. In going to wait and see if she gets in and then talk to her teachers about what to do. After reading all posts, and speaking to local friends I think we are going to go part time for at least the first term if possible. Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now