can any helpfull teacher types explain why the difference between Sats scores and APP scores?

(10 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Mon 21-Jan-13 18:34:09

they look the same 4a/5c etc but APP seem to be lower

I understand that it's a different scoring system but which is the more accurate and is it usual to be different levels

TIA

Feenie Mon 21-Jan-13 18:35:49

APP is day to day teacher assessment.

SAT score is the level from a one off test - a narrower snapshot. It is possible to fluke a higher level, but not have the kind of secure understanding that APP would show.

sausagesandwich34 Mon 21-Jan-13 18:41:57

thanks

prettydaisies Mon 21-Jan-13 20:11:50

Also you can get, e.g. a level 5 on a ks2 maths paper by answering accurately all the level 3 and 4 questions. This will give you a high enough score to get level 5. APP you have to actually do the level 5 stuff consistently for it to be achieved.

majormother Mon 21-Jan-13 20:52:33

What would the normal difference be - one sub-level or more?

juniper904 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:03:15

For which subject?

Writing tends to come out lower on App, whereas higher on other schemes like the Surrey assessments.

Maths- depends on which part of APP you use. If you focus purely on number, yet a child is very strong at shape and data handling, then their result will be pulled down.

theschoolbreakfastclub Mon 21-Jan-13 23:07:57

What if a dc was really consistently scoring a particular level in numeracy tests, would the teacher assessment still maybe be lower by more than one sublevel?

Feenie Tue 22-Jan-13 06:55:58

That's unlikely, and I would question the APP - the key word there was consistently.

NorhamGardens Tue 22-Jan-13 07:49:19

It is possible to fluke a higher level, but not have the kind of secure understanding that APP would show.

This is what I don't understand and I hear a lot. One of mine typically scores two sub levels higher than level assigned in maths tests given. Often scores higher than those in higher maths sets in identical tests.

I hear that the high test scores must be a fluke. I don't know about you but if you set me a maths test with problem sums in it, percentages etc and I managed to work them out correctly it wouldn't point to a fluke.

In many private schools children sit the same maths test at the end of terms and they use the result to inform the placement in maths sets the following term. A high test result generally merits a move upward through the sets & a low one the opposite.

Feenie Tue 22-Jan-13 22:20:57

I refer you to my earlier answer, NorhamGardens - if a child achieved more in tests consistently, then the APP needs to be looked at more carefully. Consistently high test results are not, I agree, a fluke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now