Asked to pay for school lunch when she has packed lunch from home....

(53 Posts)
Babedestiny Mon 14-Jan-13 13:14:30

I had to pay outstanding fees for school lunch which i wasnt aware of until i got the letter.Went to the school toask and was told that every child will be asked whether they want to have school dinner and my dd said yes and i had to pay because she said so.But what i didnt undertsand was she had packed lunch from home everyday and i had never requested for her to have school lunch.How could the school go according to what the child said.Their answer was they cannot check every child who has packed lunch from home and goes according to what the kid say.So did she had both lunch on that day then?
Got really angry with the lack of communication the school had.Did anybody had this problem before or is it right for the school to do that?
I really dont know what the system is as its my first one in school?

Yfronts Tue 15-Jan-13 22:11:15

Don't pay. DD is their responsibility in school hours and they should have double checked with you. She is only 5

Suffolkgirl1 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:55:15

I hadn't realised how lucky we were to have the flexibility to switch between hot dinners and sandwiches on a daily basis. Having the meals cooked on site obviously allows for this more easily. Ordering in the morning also allows them to switch between the veg and meat option which (when we used to have to pre-order) wasn't an option. My DS is a meat eater but will today I am sure have ordered Mac cheese rather than the Chilli, as it is his favorite.

Babedestiny Mon 21-Jan-13 18:13:47

I think its the school error.My freind had the same problem and went to the school to query and hers was worse..her daughter had eaten more than 3 weeks when she is having packed lunch fr home as well. But the odd thing was it was paid for as well with 3 days outstanding..Firstly, she said i have never asked for school lunch, secondly who has been paying all this while when the parents haven't.Funny thing, the receptionist said well if you haven't paid at all ....so you must pay for all the weeks now...How ridiculous...they didnt accepted that it could be their error...until she had a word with the head...In the end, she got away without paying for anything...
I am glad...coz they made me look so silly saying it was my daughter fault..n now they finally accepted it can be theirs as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now