Are there any phonics websites for a Reception child?

(62 Posts)
noseynoonoo Mon 17-Dec-12 14:28:43

My son has started doing phonics this year and loves it. Are there any fun websites, preferably free, he can look at over the school holidays?

Nonky Wed 02-Jan-13 08:36:00

Oh for goodness sake!!! Surely ANY website/book/other resource that engages a child is worthwhile!!! Children learn when they enjoy what they are doing. Learning should be FUN. If a child is happy then inevitably the learning will follow. I am a teacher by the way.

mrz Wed 02-Jan-13 09:12:23

So Nonky you would encourage your child to visit a nice entertaining website that fully engages your child but teaches them that 2+2 = 99 would you?

mrz Wed 02-Jan-13 09:30:08

I've just noticed you are teacher and sincerely hope you are more discerning in class than you seem to be suggesting here shock

Verugal Wed 02-Jan-13 16:59:00

My Ds2 responds much better to Mr thorne telling him how to pronounce "au" than me telling him the same thing. So I like his site. Both dss got lots from starfall.com and ds2 likes reading eggs.

mrz Wed 02-Jan-13 17:02:25

It isn't a case of whether you like it ...it's whether it's accurate.

motherto4 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:59:32

I think being too prescriptive isn't helpful. Children DO engage more when a dry subject like phonics is presented in a fun way. If a parent or teacher comes across inaccuracies on a website or app then they can stop using it. Children are flexible and will adapt as long as the LOVE for reading and learning is entrenched.

mrz Wed 02-Jan-13 18:16:24

So you would be happy for your child to be taught 2+2 =99?

mrz Wed 02-Jan-13 18:19:03

If a parent or teacher comes across inaccuracies on a website or app then they can stop using it. which is exactly what I've said ... make sure what you use is accurate ...which is why I wouldn't unreservedly recommend the sites.
If that offends I'm sorry but I'm not willing to say this site is brilliant when there are errors!

motherto4 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:19:44

I wouldn't let my children get away with learning rubbish!

SenClayDavis Wed 02-Jan-13 18:21:09

No, not all children will adapt as long as the love for reading and learning is entrenched. As much as they might engage more with something presented in a fun way, if what they are engaging with is incorrect or inaccurate you can end up doing more harm than good. Unteaching/unlearning something can be bloody hard work.

Nonky Wed 02-Jan-13 23:14:59

Of course I wouldn't be pleased my child would learn 2+2=99!! What an odd thing to say? I don't recall ever saying its ok for things to be taught incorrectly. From the experience ive had with mr Thorne and reading eggs there are no such mistakes? If I am wrong, please give me an example?!! All I am saying is that first and foremost, learning must be FUN!

mrz Thu 03-Jan-13 08:45:08

Of course I wouldn't be pleased my child would learn 2+2=99!! What an odd thing to say? not even if it is FUN?

All I am saying is that first and foremost, learning must be FUN! and all I'm saying is first and foremost what children are learning should be correct. It's no good being fun if it's not accurate!

I've sent you a DM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now