How do you decide when your child has 'mastered' a reading level?

(36 Posts)
Lukethe3 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:12:47

Just that really. For example, the level my son in on at the moment means he is able to sound out and decode 95% of the words on first reading. By the 3rd or 4th read through he will be 'fluent'. His comprehension is good and we discuss the story. Is this 'mastering a level'? Or to master a level should he be fluent at the first read through?

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 22:51:47

Is your son YR? Why are they so stingy with books in YR (not all schools but quite a lot!). I bought a lot of books for DS in YR as his school were the same. They will be useful for DD in the future too, but it's kind of annoying that they were all sitting there at school. I know a bit more about phonics etc now so am more confident in getting suitable books from the library.

starfishmummy Sat 08-Dec-12 22:53:11

Marne if your dd struggles with a book, you say she stays on the same level - does she stay on the same book, or does it get changed for another on the same level?

simpson England Sat 08-Dec-12 22:55:10

My local library is also not that good tbh but I have gone in armed with a list (or you can do it online) and they have ordered loads of books for me which is good.

I know what you mean about preferring a printed book to an ebook...

I have had to buy quite a few books for DD as she is in a reception class of 90 so I guess they don't have many books to provide more than one a week hmm

Lukethe3 Sat 08-Dec-12 22:58:07

Yes, ds is in Reception. I have bought quite a few books but can't carry on like this. I will see if the library can help. Thanks for all the comments.

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 23:00:34

Ah yes, I think that was the argument for DS, but actually as he was a bit ahead (like your DD Simpson but not as far as her at this point in the year), so there were books at his level available. Perhaps I was not as confident as I am now in chatting to the teacher when I needed to. blush.

Yes, it's worth pursuing the library option IMO if you have time to do that. They are very helpful and I've noticed that if you order something online from around the county (ours is a tiny library) that often they will get similar things or things of a similar ilk into the library pretty quick.

simpson England Sat 08-Dec-12 23:04:54

It's also worth checking out 2nd hand shops as I have picked up quite a few bargains so save £££ as I cannot afford to buy brand new books for her all the time tbh....

TheSecondComing Sat 08-Dec-12 23:09:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tgger Sat 08-Dec-12 23:12:00

I struggled with Nadim too blush. I hadn't come across it before. In fact I can remember the discussion with DH on how to pronounce it grin.

Your DD sounds like she's flying Secondcoming. Well done to her smile.

TheSecondComing Sat 08-Dec-12 23:23:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mathsconundrum Sat 08-Dec-12 23:27:35

Read it once and get 95% or more correct.

Tiggles Sun 09-Dec-12 16:16:10

I think the key thing must be understanding.
DS2 brought home a level 14 book last week (I think by accident, as he was a few stages below that the week before). He could decode it fluently, read with expression the first time through etc. But there were areas of the book where he struggled to really understand what it meant. It was set in history and there were turns of phrase he really didn't understand. Going on the 95% theory that shouldn be his reading level. But it definitely isn't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now