Is it normal for Y1 to only have a TA in the morning?

(34 Posts)
BieneMaja Fri 07-Dec-12 21:04:22

I have recently found out that my DD in yr 1 only has a TA in the morning.

It is a large school, 4 or 5 classes per year, apparently in reception they have a full time TA but all other years just have the morning.

Is that normal? I asked a friend with a child at another local school and she said they have TAs all day there.

sazale Sun 09-Dec-12 14:25:03

High levels of TA support can mask SEN and also create a culture of dependence.

Spot on Mrz! That's exactly what happened with my dd and hindered us requesting input from outside agencies because school said she was fine! My dd was only fine because of the level of adult support she had but is now 100% reliant on adults within school to the point she now attends a special school to help her develop independence in a safe setting even though academically she's above average.

My son is having difficulties with reading/writing and talkinKg in school and their reassurance to me was the high level of in class support as there is always a TA sat at his table. My response to the SENCO was support is only any good if it's the right, targeted support. She looked at me gone out!!

I think they do it to stop parents applying for statements as there are hardly any statemented kids in the school (if any) but the amount of stories I hear of the kids that leave there having their difficulties identified as soon as they start secondary is ridiculous!

teacherwith2kids Sun 09-Dec-12 14:40:31

In Maths and Literacy, my TA sits with a different group each day, to deliver a specific 'guided' task e.g. to do a challenge task with the most able, or to address a particular issue with e.g. punctuation for a group of children. Definitely not 'always with the SEN children'. Yes, she works with SEN children in her intervention time - and there is a 1 to 1 in my class also who is always with her [statemented, multiply-disabled] charge - but we specifically work to avoiud dependence.

mrz Sun 09-Dec-12 14:52:49

We work very differently ... teachers and support staff don't sit with any group and we don't withdraw children for interventions. I have 1-1 support for a child who is developmentally 18 months stage and needs constant care.

teacherwith2kids Sun 09-Dec-12 14:57:21

Mrz, I know. They are different models - not better, not worse, just different.

teacherwith2kids Sun 09-Dec-12 14:58:03

(My child with 1 to 1 is at approximately the same level as yours, btw)

mrz Sun 09-Dec-12 15:09:24

agreed our method works for us and I'm sure your method works well for your pupils

IndigoBelle Sun 09-Dec-12 15:18:56

A recent Sutton trust report stated how the kids who spent the most time with TAs were the further behind (ie being taught by TAs instead of teachers meant they made less progress)

So OFSTED are now looking to see TAs are deployed appropriately.....

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 09-Dec-12 16:38:05

Ime there is such variation in TA roles that even in the same school children receive less or more effective input depending on the TA they work with.
Some of the LSAs at my school are very skilled and their development and delivery of intervention programmes have a big impact on outcomes. Others are less skilled and their lack of enthusiasm reflects in the poor motivation of learners.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 09-Dec-12 19:46:21

Our school have class TAs - all almost full time, they deliver RWInc and take little groups out.

As a TA I am interested in finding out more about the ways TA's provide effective input.

Are the more effective input TAs better trained? Do you have any idea what training they have received? Is there a book they have read? Are they "managed" in a different way (one thing I would love is to know what's being covered in class in advance, but this seems hard to get to).

Any ideas about where I could find more information would be greatly appreciated.

I have googled and got the sutton report mentioned and from there found this https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/RR605.pdf

I'd be very interested to hear opinions/pointers from teachers though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now