Oh dear, DD's KS1 teacher wrote "there" when meaning "they're". ..

(106 Posts)
JKB1 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:51:01

...and this was on a class assembly slide in front of the whole school plus the parents of the class. Is there any hope? You've got to laugh, then get on with the job of picking up the slack at home.

bamboostalks Fri 30-Nov-12 22:07:26

cilldara sorry don't believe that at all. That's a well known Irish joke. Please don't further denigrate teachers by making up rubbish.

teacherwith2kids Fri 30-Nov-12 22:09:39

It's a mistake, and one I hope that the head will have had a quiet word with the teacher about.

If it is part of a pattern of a poor standard of written English around the school, in letters home etc etc, then it's worth getting het up about. Speak informally to a teacher or to the head, talking about how you are worried about the example it is setting to the children etc.

If, on the other hand, it is a single error by an over-stretched teacher doing the 100th 'something else extra' during their lunch break, then it's a mistake pure and simple and you should trust the school to deal with it internally.

justanuthermanicmumsday Fri 30-Nov-12 22:13:27

If it was a regular occurrence I might be concerned and send out a undercover spellcheck detective but "1 error and i will lose all respect" lool, tis so exaggerated. We all make mistakes, it is not the end of the world. Your child has hope of attaining a degree do not worry. The media covered this story recently I heard it on the radio, and I couldn't stop laughing they were over hyping it. I doubt teachers qualified as such, with very poor English skills.

I agree with PICTISH

zebedeee Fri 30-Nov-12 23:42:12

These spelling mistakes are all on one 'news' page of a website promoting their (DFE match funded) phonic books and workshops.

'Introductoy Workbook'
'two Sythetic Phonics hands-on workshops'
'The workshop will cover the English Phonic Code, blending and segementing,'
'how to create a synthetic phonics lesson including worbuilding'
'This photocopiable book includes blending, segmenting, reading, spelling, language development and comprehenion.'

The grammar is also a little odd in places...

Do you really think that 'Once they learn more sounds in phonics they('ll) learn the right spellings'? Maybe they should hone their whole word visual skills and be asking themselves 'does that look right?'.

Welovecouscous Sat 01-Dec-12 08:23:54

I used to teach future teachers at Uni and, sadly, the standard of spelling and grammar was often not high.

ByTheWay1 Sat 01-Dec-12 08:31:38

Doing the rounds on facebook... When I come across people who are angry at incorrect grammar just for the sake of it, I say quietly inside my head - "there, their, they're"

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Sat 01-Dec-12 08:33:43

I couldn't agree more OP. Obviously people make mistakes but if you are supposedly teaching children then, for goodness sake, get it right yourself. If you're not sure then get someone else to check it for you.
DS's school has just sent out an emergency contacts sheet with missing apostrophes - mums mobile, dads mobile etc. It's really annoyed me!!

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 08:35:19

'not being arsed to do a simple spell check is just so LAZY.'

Spell check doesn't usually pick up homophones. It isn't a substitute for a knowledge of grammar.
Our head teacher is prone to this in school assemblies.

heggiehog Sat 01-Dec-12 08:42:42

"Obviously people make mistakes but if you are supposedly teaching children then, for goodness sake, get it right yourself."

One more time - teachers DON'T HAVE TIME to proofread things. Is that so hard to understand?

Don't assume a mistake is because they can't spell.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 08:46:26

We should make time if it is a presentation or a worksheet.
Only time that an error is acceptable is if you are writing at speed when marking or recording in a reading journal, and even then you should either go back and check when possible, or be willing to face corrections by parents.
It really isn't OK, modelling correct English is important.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 08:47:01

I don't assume they can't spell, I assume that they can't be bothered.

ithaka Sat 01-Dec-12 09:00:15

Teachers don't HAVE TIME to proofread things? Well they'll have to FIND TIME, like the rest of us do. I would be humiliated beyond belief to make such a basic grammatical error in a report or presentation - but I never would, because I would check. As should any professional.

My OH is a teacher and would not defend what is either such sloppy practice or ignorance - neither of which inspire confidence in your child's teacher.

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Sat 01-Dec-12 09:09:04

Heggiehog - I used to be a teacher and I ensured I made time to check every single thing I wrote. Many other teachers don't however. I once was asked to proofread material written by a selection of teachers at a top independent secondary school which was due to go out to parents. The standard was absolutely appalling. There's no excuse for laziness.
TheNebulous - totally agree.

Welovecouscous Sat 01-Dec-12 09:41:20

Can't imagine any teacher agreeing with a child saying 'sorry my homework has mistakes in - no time to proof read'.

My sil is a teacher herself and has zero tolerance for mistakes like this.

Wellthen Sat 01-Dec-12 10:27:21

It is lazy (heggie are you a teacher? I think you're being overworked if you really feel that. If you're not and are being sarcastic then, well aren't you super mature?), its embarassing in a school assembly and certainly PART of a teacher's job.

What I object to in threads like this are the ideas that:
- a teacher's spelling represents how good they are at their job. Losing all respect?! I've never heard anything so pathetic. What about the relationship I have with your child, my development of them as a person never mind their history, geography, art, PE, RE, Maths, thinking skills, science etc etc ad nauseum.
- someone who teaches others should not make mistakes. Sorry, these people do not exist. Yes we try not to, certainly not publicly!! But it does happen. Get.Over.It

Feenie Sat 01-Dec-12 10:40:10

Agree with ithaka.

Elibean Sat 01-Dec-12 10:44:56

One off mistakes - we all make them. Its embarrassing, but no big deal and I would rather teach my children that everyone is human than model losing respect for a hardworking teacher over one slip hmm

If its all the time, that's different. Something to address. But even then, I would certainly not lose respect if the teacher in question was ace in other ways - some people are naturally good spellers, others aren't: yes, of course its their job to do it right, but they may need a heads up that they aren't - iyswim.

Our Head is an inspirational teacher, can get almost any child to excel in maths, and leads the school creatively and brilliantly. But he would be the first to admit spelling and grammar are not natural attributes smile

Feenie Sat 01-Dec-12 10:54:23

My Head put an errant apostrophe in the possessive 'its' so many times that I resorted to teaching it in a staff meeting, especially for him, in the guise of INSET training for lesson delivery.

It worked, actually. Can recommend it as a strategy to save one's sanity.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 10:56:33

grin Feenie, how magnificently devious!

I remain your devoted admirer, NC notwithstanding.

Feenie Sat 01-Dec-12 10:58:31

grin

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 10:59:01

Let's all stay sane in these last few weeks of glittery chaos and squabbling.
trialx.com/g/Christmas_Punch-2.jpg

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 01-Dec-12 11:01:11

I think I posted last year about my approach to mulled wine. I try a new recipe every weekend during advent, and drink it through the week.
Then I decide which one is the best by the time my holiday starts.
However, my spelling and grammar stay impeccable.

Feenie Sat 01-Dec-12 11:04:56

Usually I drink wine only at weekends. At this time of year I crumble round about Wednesday grin.

Spelling and grammar remain unaffected.

Silibilimili Sat 01-Dec-12 11:08:52

Where's the attention to detail if it was a genuine mistake?!

I think it's unacceptable.

Celticlassie Sat 01-Dec-12 11:18:26

Of course it's unacceptable. How can they tell the kids to take care over what they're doing, when they don't take time themselves to proof read a presentation? Everything that is being sent out for others to read, should always be proof read.

And for those who say it won't make a long term impact - in Higher English (Scotland), making an error like this consistently in your essays could mean a lower mark, which may well impact on a candidate's future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now