Is it acceptable for a teacher to say...

(84 Posts)
wishingonadream Thu 11-Oct-12 19:29:08

... I can try and remember, but there are 30 children in the class

When asked to remind your recpetion child to use the toilet when they have a uti?

WofflingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 18:33:39

So between the two of us, we'd make a reasonable attempt at parenting. smile

'-Johnny needs to be reminded to use the toilet hourly
-Sammy needs medication at lunchtime
-Violet has a sore tummy, so if she looks peaky please call me
-Alice didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I've added a snack in case she's peckish." '

'I forgot her lunch, so I'll pop in later with it'
'Flute lesson at 1.15'
That's the third new jumper he's lost this term, I want you to check every child and their bags until it's found'

Yes, these things happen every day, and do you score any OFSTED brownie points for them?
Nope.

clam Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:58

^"Imagine if 30 parents came in with
-Johnny needs to be reminded to use the toilet hourly
-Alice didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I've added a snack in case she's peckish."^

Er.... you mean, like happens every day? grin Along with "what have you done with my child's jumper?"

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:39

I did say on time Wofflington! If they were meant to be taken every four hours it has on occasion been 5 or slightly more hours ... never totally forgotten.

I have always remembered to feed them but at times I've realised that I've not eaten all day or visited the loo for that matter as I'm going to bed.

WofflingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 18:02:46

So, what happened in reality OP?
Did the teacher remember?

I've NEVER forgotten medication for my children, mrz. shock

I have however, on occasion, forgotten to feed them and then remembered when they wanted a second breakfast.

desertgirl Fri 12-Oct-12 17:57:34

Jenny70, as another one who had UTIs as a child (fortunately a little older than OP's DD), they don't all clear up in 1-2 days.

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 17:52:13

I confess as a parent I have, on occasion, forgotten to give my own children their antibiotics, steroids, inhalers, reminders etc on time and that's without all the distractions of the classroom.

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 12-Oct-12 17:41:49

I would have said -'I'll certainly do my best' with a big smile and then put a note on my planning. I might have written the child's name on the board as a visual reminder but not the reason. I might even have gotten the child involved - as in 'I'll do my best, perhaps X and I could try to remember together?'
I don't think I'd have added the bit about the 30 children...

yousankmybattleship Fri 12-Oct-12 17:27:54

Yes, I think that is a prefectly reasonable thing to say. Would have been better to speak to the TA but even she has 29 other children to consider so with the best will in the world one child's toileting needs could get overlooked. If it is really so medically important for a child to go to the toilet at certain times or certain intervals then that child should be at home.

MerylStrop Fri 12-Oct-12 17:21:10

In reception I think they get reminded fairly frequently anyhow

It's a professional and realistic response

(so long as she didn't roll her eyes when she did it)

cansu Fri 12-Oct-12 17:17:51

I think she was just being honest. I get loads of requests every day to deal with as well as accidents to dal with, children crying because someone has just been mean to them, someone who has a sudden nose bleed and needs looking after as well as teaching and clearing up etc etc. I am sure she will try but she is trying to tell you honestly that if she forgets it won't be because she doesn't care but because she is busy caring for all the other children.

radicalsubstitution Fri 12-Oct-12 16:39:49

bsmirched don't worry about it too much. In 10 years' time there will probably be 'irrefutible' (oh where's the spell check when I need it?) scientific evidence that constant sucking on sports bottles has caused a generation of children to have malformed jaws - explaining why they have to say 'wiv' instead of 'with' all the time. Water bottes will therefore be banned.

Jenny70 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:01:54

I think you are being unreasonable. You can ask her to remind your DD, but honestly it really isn't her job to monitor fluids and toilet stops.

To my mind if your DD needs to be reminded/monitored she should be at home. UTI's can lead to kidney infections etc. It should clear up in 1-2 days, so why not let her rest at home, drink fluids and go to the toilet regularly?

Imagine if 30 parents came in with
-Johnny needs to be reminded to use the toilet hourly
-Alice didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I've added a snack in case she's peckish.
etc, etc.

defineme Fri 12-Oct-12 13:05:37

Our teacher writes medication times and so on on board-if she could think of a discrete way of doing that it would be helpful or is every break enough?

As another poster says it's an unreasonable system with 30 in a class-I know my kids' teachers struggle with this kind of thing. Whereas my friend's kids in a private reception class have a ratio of 2 adults to 6 children!

TooMuchRain Fri 12-Oct-12 13:00:47

The teacher is not U, she is honest. An education system that forces children into such large classes is totally unreasonable though.

Angelico Fri 12-Oct-12 12:59:39

That's not meant to sound unsympathetic OP as you haven't frothed at the mouth from what I've read - again, just being honest. Having just had my own PFB I can understand your frustration more now but she is in a room full of people's precious kids and she will be genuinely doing her best to keep EVERYONE happy.

Angelico Fri 12-Oct-12 12:57:52

She was being honest. Unless you have been a teacher you have no idea how many demands there are made on you in any one lesson / day. Thirty+ kids, of whom five or 6 may have additional needs / requests made plus more info coming in by phone / email during the day plus the small matter of actually trying to bloody teach the kids between all the interruptions and extras...

MadameCupcake Fri 12-Oct-12 12:49:33

As a sufferer from UTIs and kidney problems my whole life my parents needed to have the teachers on side to ensure that I did not make these problems worse but I was expected to ask to go to the toilet and the teachers (from infant to secondary) were told by HT that if I asked to go I was not to be questioned and should be allowed to go at any time.

I don't really think it is the teachers responsibility to be prompting individual children but I would be happy if she had said she would try - good teachers would genuinely do their best I believe. The teachers at DSs infant school have set times where they encourage all children to have a wee and they also have their bottles of water on the table at all times. This should be happening at all schools as far as I am concerned.

I know most schools won't guarantee to give DCs anti-biotics either during the day so I think the answer would be to keep them off if you are worried.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 12-Oct-12 00:15:52

bsmirched, rehydration, consentation and healthy cell maintenace, that is why water is important.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 12-Oct-12 00:12:21

i dont think it is acceptable.
As someone who spent a childhood with constant utis and missed a lot of school as a result when a uti is under controle with a good reigime then they should be at school, a uti can linger for a very long time, weeks or months even when treated. generaly whilst awaiting further investigation. My teachers 20 + years ago managed to work with myself and my mum to support my needs and that was with in a time of limited pasterol care and no TAs.

the teacher should remember, a simple i will try my very best is sufficient if they will try, but added with well there are 30 other children in the class comes across as very resentfull and basically an excusse to cop out. i wouldnt be happy with it. UTIs can be very dangerous and it is also not managable to keep a child off school when a recurring or prolonged UTI has taken hold.

Noqontrol Fri 12-Oct-12 00:11:01

I don't think anyone said a child can't manage for an hour or so without a drink. But they need to be offered drinks on a regular basis throughout the day. The fact that children only got sips from the water fountain in the past  is completely irrelevant. 
Children used to be caned at my school for minor misdemeanours. Would you agree that because it was in fashion once it is a practice that should be continued for ever more?   
Dehydration does cause health problems, at the very least it causes headaches and tiredness. Not conducive to good learning, however inconvenient the provision of water, and the subsequent increased use of the toilet might be to some teachers.  

UsingAPsuedonym Thu 11-Oct-12 23:57:01

Our pre school has a jug and cups at the side so they can help themselves (or ask an adult) if thirsty. I. Like that!

bsmirched Thu 11-Oct-12 23:47:19

Water bottles are a bloody nightmare - one more distraction amongst the flashing shoes and other assorted crap. I'm not talking about the dark ages when I refer to the time before water bottles, just 8 or 10 yrs ago. Are we seriously saying they can't manage an hour or so without slurping? My 2 yr old DS is at nursery and they have drinks first thing then mid morning then at lunch. Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be to let a roomful of toddlers have a drink with them constantly? Why do they suddenly need constant access to a drink once they get to school?

mumnosbest Thu 11-Oct-12 23:06:41

teachers are employed to teach not nowadays. Heard of pastoral care?

If i couldn't have a drink untill lunchtime i'd be parched. I think water bottles are a fab idea. Ok we all survived school without them but so what! My nan grew up without an indoor loo and used newspaper instead of andrex but she wouldn't wish that on our dcs. Talking of loo roll, anyone remember the slippy, grease proof school toilet paper? grin

hazeyjane Thu 11-Oct-12 22:34:39

Dd2 needs an inhaler on certain days - if weather is very cold, before playtimes, and pe. If she feels wheezy she knows to go and tell her teacher, who will help her take her inhaler. But on some days I will say to the teacher at the beginning of the day, 'can you make sure dd2 gets her inhaler before she goes out to play'. It always happens, and I would be gutted if she said, 'well i'll try to remember, but i do have 30 other children to look out for' - surely this is the same sort of situation?

WereTricksPotter Thu 11-Oct-12 22:20:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now