Is it acceptable for a teacher to say...

(84 Posts)
wishingonadream Thu 11-Oct-12 19:29:08

... I can try and remember, but there are 30 children in the class

When asked to remind your recpetion child to use the toilet when they have a uti?

MerylStrop Fri 12-Oct-12 17:21:10

In reception I think they get reminded fairly frequently anyhow

It's a professional and realistic response

(so long as she didn't roll her eyes when she did it)

yousankmybattleship Fri 12-Oct-12 17:27:54

Yes, I think that is a prefectly reasonable thing to say. Would have been better to speak to the TA but even she has 29 other children to consider so with the best will in the world one child's toileting needs could get overlooked. If it is really so medically important for a child to go to the toilet at certain times or certain intervals then that child should be at home.

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 12-Oct-12 17:41:49

I would have said -'I'll certainly do my best' with a big smile and then put a note on my planning. I might have written the child's name on the board as a visual reminder but not the reason. I might even have gotten the child involved - as in 'I'll do my best, perhaps X and I could try to remember together?'
I don't think I'd have added the bit about the 30 children...

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 17:52:13

I confess as a parent I have, on occasion, forgotten to give my own children their antibiotics, steroids, inhalers, reminders etc on time and that's without all the distractions of the classroom.

desertgirl Fri 12-Oct-12 17:57:34

Jenny70, as another one who had UTIs as a child (fortunately a little older than OP's DD), they don't all clear up in 1-2 days.

WofflingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 18:02:46

So, what happened in reality OP?
Did the teacher remember?

I've NEVER forgotten medication for my children, mrz. shock

I have however, on occasion, forgotten to feed them and then remembered when they wanted a second breakfast.

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:39

I did say on time Wofflington! If they were meant to be taken every four hours it has on occasion been 5 or slightly more hours ... never totally forgotten.

I have always remembered to feed them but at times I've realised that I've not eaten all day or visited the loo for that matter as I'm going to bed.

clam Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:58

^"Imagine if 30 parents came in with
-Johnny needs to be reminded to use the toilet hourly
-Sammy needs medication at lunchtime
-Violet has a sore tummy, so if she looks peaky please call me
-Alice didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I've added a snack in case she's peckish."^

Er.... you mean, like happens every day? grin Along with "what have you done with my child's jumper?"

WofflingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 18:33:39

So between the two of us, we'd make a reasonable attempt at parenting. smile

'-Johnny needs to be reminded to use the toilet hourly
-Sammy needs medication at lunchtime
-Violet has a sore tummy, so if she looks peaky please call me
-Alice didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I've added a snack in case she's peckish." '

'I forgot her lunch, so I'll pop in later with it'
'Flute lesson at 1.15'
That's the third new jumper he's lost this term, I want you to check every child and their bags until it's found'

Yes, these things happen every day, and do you score any OFSTED brownie points for them?
Nope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now