Is it acceptable for a teacher to say...

(84 Posts)
wishingonadream Thu 11-Oct-12 19:29:08

... I can try and remember, but there are 30 children in the class

When asked to remind your recpetion child to use the toilet when they have a uti?

Feenie Thu 11-Oct-12 20:34:53

That assumes that every class has a TA, which isn't necessarily the case. I don't, and I have 31 children.

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:38:42

I suppose it is just that the teacher is saying that she'll try her best to remember, and that doesn't appear to be good enough. But if that's the case, the child should be at home.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:41:26

Wiggling - surely it's reasonable to expect a school to remind small children to drink? Otherwise I will have to home ed because my child does not drink especially given that she doesn't want to use the toilet in school! Many children in reception class are only 4 and do need a level of care not necessary for older children?

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:07

Wiggling - surely it's reasonable to expect a school to remind small children to drink? Otherwise I will have to home ed because my child does not drink especially given that she doesn't want to use the toilet in school! Many children in reception class are only 4 and do need a level of care not necessary for older children?

kid Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:14

All reception classes have a TA don't they?
I think its a fair enough comment as others have said. The teacher will have a lot of things to remember throughout the day and I'm sure she wouldn't deliberately forget.

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:31

I mean, I'd remember.
But then I sometimes forget to remind my children to tick their success criteria, or do 5 minutes Brain Gym or whatever the latest educational gimmick is in class, because I'm keeping an eye out for HermionewiththeUTI.
Too many balls in the air, and everyone ready to shoot the juggler if you fumble.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:54

Sorry for double post, on phone!

Noqontrol Thu 11-Oct-12 20:43:05

Although surely they should be making sure all the kids go to the toilet at certain intervals throughout the day. As well as having access to drinks.

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:43:54

You can remind them, but they often choose not to drink, wash their hands or use a tissue instead of their sleeves. We do our best and that is as good as it usually gets.

Feenie Thu 11-Oct-12 20:44:40

Reread OP - hadn't seen in was Reception blush. Yes, they would probably have a TA.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:46:46

Woffling - I do sympathise that there are too many educational gimmicks! I'm not worried that my child hasn't changed her book all week, or that she learnt her words last week and they haven't been updated but her drinking nothing is stressing me as she will end up ill...

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:47:35

Would she drink if reminded?

kid Thu 11-Oct-12 20:48:07

I work in a school and the whole of the reception class is taken to the toilet just before lunch. If they want to use the toilet at any other time, they go with a buddy.

If a child was doing a little dance whilst crossing their legs or showing some sign that they may need to use the toilet, an adult would ask if they needed to go to the toilet, but other than that, its highly unlikely for reception children to be reminded to go to the toilet.

Scarynuff Thu 11-Oct-12 20:48:41

We have regular drink and toilet breaks, usually at set times throughout the day and children can, of course, go more frequently if required.

But accidents still happen. I asked a boy at breaktime last week if he needed the toilet and he said no. Two minutes later he wet himself.

So I think the teacher is just being honest. We can try but if the child doesn't co-operate it becomes much more difficult.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:52:32

Wiggling - yes she would drink if reminded as she loves her teacher and is keen to please. I have asked once that she be reminded and don't know how to tackle this? There is always a queue of mums wanting to see the teacher and I figure she is busy enough! Only 15 in class but TA support just am. Would a polite note be better than a chat?

mumnosbest Thu 11-Oct-12 20:55:13

I wouldn't say that. Shows a total lack oof care. I would/have said something like 'i'll try and we do remind them all at snack/break etc". Ok they might be 1/30 but they're all important as are their needs.

Noqontrol Thu 11-Oct-12 20:55:33

Thats different though scarynuff. At least in your class you have regular toilet and drink breaks. If a child refuses theres not much you can do. But I wouldn't be impressed if there wasn't regular toilet breaks, and the teacher said she might forget in the case of a child particularly needing to be reminded.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 20:56:12

That message was for woffling not wiggling! Think I need some sleep...

Noqontrol Thu 11-Oct-12 20:59:12

Agree mumnosbest. I think it shows a lack of care too.

Floggingmolly Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:03

In Reception they're usually reminded to use the loo before all playtimes / lunch. If this isn't enough, then I have to agree with other posters, she needs to be at home until she's better.
If it was a severe infection she'd be too ill for school anyway.

Hulababy Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:07

I think most infant classes would remind children at break and lunch - I know we do and we are Y2 - but that is mainly as we want to encourage them to use the toilet at these times to minimise trips out of the classroom. I assume the request is for over and above this?

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:09

I wouldn't send a small child in with a UTI to be honest.

Noqontrol Thu 11-Oct-12 21:03:26

Thats a tiny class ilikesweetpeas. Not sure why the teacher can't manage to prompt the children to drink their water in such a small group. I'd go and speak to her about it and keep going back until the problem is resolved.

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Thu 11-Oct-12 21:04:46

I want to know why a child that age is IN school with a UTI...they are very uncomfortable!

QuickLookBusy Thu 11-Oct-12 21:05:02

If the child needed to take an inhaler or other medication I'm sure the teacher wouldn't have said that.

I would have gone and had a word with the TA if a teacher had said that to me. Or offered to take the child home if both of them felt they couldn't remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now