Is it acceptable for a teacher to say...

(84 Posts)
wishingonadream Thu 11-Oct-12 19:29:08

... I can try and remember, but there are 30 children in the class

When asked to remind your recpetion child to use the toilet when they have a uti?

LeeCoakley Thu 11-Oct-12 19:31:11

What's wrong with being honest?

Yes. She has said she will try. She will have many other things to think about too though. She might well remember - but if she forgets, it's not because she is being evil or unreasonable - just human.

littleducks Thu 11-Oct-12 19:33:03

I think so it's honest

missymoomoomee Thu 11-Oct-12 19:35:36

I would be fine with that tbh. I would be more inclined to remind my child rather than the teacher at that age.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 11-Oct-12 19:36:15

Yes of course it is.

Would you prefer that they'd said, "yes of course, that's no problem whatsoever" but not be able to actually do it?

Either your child is unwell and should be at home, or well enough to cope with a normal day at school.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 11-Oct-12 19:36:31

Yes, it's frank and honest. It has to be up to your child to go to the loo when they need to. A reminder from the teacher can only be a back-up for that.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 11-Oct-12 19:37:01

Yes, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Hulababy Thu 11-Oct-12 19:37:52

I think it is acceptable. That way at least you are aware in advance that they will try to remember, but might also get sidetracked and forgot - better to be honest than end up having the wrath of a parent if an accident happens.

Not even something you can write on the whiteboard by the desk as a reminder due to the nature of the reminder.

BettySuarez Thu 11-Oct-12 19:39:07

Perfectly reasonable given that half a dozen other parents have probably left similar messages that day too

cakebar Thu 11-Oct-12 19:43:09

I always talk to the TA about things like that, there's never a queue for her and far more likely to be carried out IME.

AmberLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 19:43:46

Hmm yes it is honest but I think it displays that the issue isnt taken particularly seriously.

Would she 'try to remember' if a child was severely allergic to nuts and needed a epi pen if exposed? or would she have measures in place to make sure it was remebered?

cakebar Thu 11-Oct-12 19:43:59

Should add that I love our reception TA, she was so kind to DS when he had endless nose bleeds and occasional wet pants!

AmberLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 19:44:17

Remembered*

hazeyjane Thu 11-Oct-12 19:46:14

I don't think it's acceptable, surely it's the same as asking the teacher to help a child us an inhaler before pe.

WereTricksPotter Thu 11-Oct-12 19:47:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 19:57:08

I sympathise! I asked reception TA to encourage DD to drink more water for the same reason but her water bottle still comes home full everyday. Added to which she wont drink in school because she doesn't like the toilets...

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:01:29

I use a flower-shaped post-it on the corner of my IWB, with the name on it.
Nothing else, but it is enough of a memory-jogger. Because with 30+ children it is hard to remember small details that change on a daily basis.
Unlike a child with an allergy or an epipen or a significant need, which is permanent and a daily issue. confused

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:02:22

Is this child going to have a UTI for the rest of the year?
Do you not see the difference?

PandaNot Thu 11-Oct-12 20:07:11

Yes it is acceptable and honest. She has to get on with the job of teaching 30 children not babysitting them. If the child has a uti then they shouldn't be at school. If the uti has cleared and she is simply reminding the child to go to the toilet more often so it doesn't recur then she will do her best.

ILoveSparklers Thu 11-Oct-12 20:09:53

I think it's a little harsh, surely it's as important as the child receiving medicine considering its a uti issue?

AmberLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 20:15:04

The child may well end up having recurrent UTIs if the prescribed treatment isn't adhered to yes!

I get your point, but I stand by my earlier post.

clam Thu 11-Oct-12 20:23:47

I expect she was just reserving her rights, in that if she forgot, and there was an accident, you wouldn't hold her responsible.

WofflingOn Thu 11-Oct-12 20:26:27

So, will she have to supervise the child to make sure that they drink enough?
What if they refuse to drink? Perhaps the child would be better off at home where they can be closely monitored and encouraged 1:1.
Is the child even 5 yet?

Noqontrol Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:35

I would expect her or the TA to remember tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now