Is Jubilee English only?

(24 Posts)
PastSellByDate Tue 29-May-12 08:55:26

Hello:

Here's one I'd appreciate some comment or advice on.

Our primary school is having a dress up day for Jubilee and rather than do something simple like ask the children to wear red, white and blue they've sent a letter asking the children to dress up and princesses, princes, kings and queens.

Yesterday my DD2 (age 7/ Y2) was telling her teacher how she was going to be a tropical princess from an island which was formerly part of the British Empire (something she's been planning and working on for weeks) and the teacher told her she couldn't do that, she must come as an English Princess. DD2 said Mrs. X says Jubilee is only for the English.

I'm slightly confused being foreign but my English DH is also a bit hmm about what exactly this school is teaching.

Now as I understand it the Royal Family were part of various Saxe-Coburg Germanic royals. And certainly the Queen would be of German/ Scottish decent.

I also understand that a number of foreign royals attended a lunch with the Queen. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18099937

I'm also slightly perplexed why this holiday might not apply to say the Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish (although I do understand that there are some strong Republican feelings so some there may chose not to celebrate) or, for that matter, to current members of the common wealth? or anyone else wishing her well?

Is Jubilee only for English participation?

bronze Tue 29-May-12 08:57:52

No
Her teacher is wrong
I would take it up with them
I live your dds idea for an outfit btw

jomidmum Tue 29-May-12 08:59:11

I thought all the commonwealth countries celebrate the jubilee. That's why some of the more minor royals are having a great time this year visiting various countries! I may be wrong though.

clam Tue 29-May-12 09:05:29

And aside from all that, it would be Great Britain, not England.
Hacks me off the number of people (not you OP) who refer to GB/UK as England. And I'm English.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Tue 29-May-12 09:13:02

Clam. I agree. I'd feel a lot more British if it actually meant British rather than mostly English. I'm welsh.

PastSellByDate Tue 29-May-12 09:47:53

Thanks for comments and good to know there are some sane multi-cultural people out there celebrating Jubilee.

I'll see what transpires today - DH is on the case with school.

Perhaps it was just the heat and a tired teacher not thinking when she spoke. (Given other incidents there I doubt it, but nicer (?easier) to think it's the heat/ tiredness than the alternative).

BerryJubileeCheesecake Tue 29-May-12 20:56:29

How did it go OP?

smee Wed 30-May-12 10:40:08

Our school said specifically that the kids should think about Kings and Queens from across the world. Seems bizarre to limit it. Think there would have been a riot of complaint at our school if they'd said that OP.

PastSellByDate Wed 30-May-12 11:43:00

Hi Berry/ Smee:

Sorry did not get back on until now. DD2 is allowed to go as her tropical princess with flowers in hair. And the school has now said that as long as people are dressed up as royals - it doesn't matter what type.

The teacher tried to suggest that Disney princesses were 'English' and DH rather enjoyed pointing out that Cinderella is French, Little Mermaid Danish, Snow White German (Brother's Grimm), etc... and that indeed to date there has been no English Disney princess. He enjoyed pointing out that although Pocahontas married an Englishman and was buried in Essex, she is in fact Native American. DH couldn't help but add the dig that he was rather surprised someone in her position was unaware of that.

Two other parents (one Welsh and one Scottish) had their children told similar things and joined in the conversation.

I think the teacher got the message, but all were gracious enough to allow her the exit of a long day and the heat resulted in this slip of the tongue and of course every type of royal is welcome for the dress-up day.

startail Wed 30-May-12 12:01:08

Nonsense!

The Queen is very proud of the Commonwealth.

Also I'm sure she's hosting a jubilee party for crowned heads of state from all over the world. There was something on the news about the guest list.

smee Wed 30-May-12 12:21:45

That's good then. Glad you won! smile

learnandsay Wed 30-May-12 13:36:12

Ha ha ha, that teacher is an idiot, who's clearly never heard of the Commonwealth!

Seona1973 Wed 30-May-12 13:44:54

I hope its not just for the English as we are in Scotland and ds is having a garden party at school today to celebrate the Jubilee! DD is having a street party at the school tomorrow for it too (same school but as there are a lot of pupils P1-3 celebrate today and P4-7 celebrate tomorrow).

Ours can dress in party or summer clothes - ds went in shorts and t-shirt today so hope it stays warm and dry! Rain is forecast tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed it stays dry between 1 and 3pm when the kids are supposed to be outside.

One of the big achievements in this Queen's reign has been keeping the commonwealth together. I'm glad they have taken your comments on board.

cocolepew Wed 30-May-12 13:51:37

Your DDs costume sounds great.

PastSellByDate Wed 30-May-12 15:21:23

Just told DH about your replies. He says not sure it was our comments or the really seriously angry Scotsman that settled the question. He's our new hero!

Tiggles Wed 30-May-12 16:25:54

grin DS2 is going as Henry VIII (a Welshman).

RepublicaEuphemia Wed 30-May-12 20:46:00

I'm working in Dundee at the moment and yesterday one of the other teachers said in the staffroom: "So are we doing anything for the Jubilee then?" The unenthusiastic response around the room was "I suppose we'd better." grin

The Jubilee is not just for the English: we just don't much care up here!

tunafortea Wed 30-May-12 20:54:00

I am in Scotland.
Dd in nursery has been doing Kings and Queens for a topic (jubilee woven in)
Ds in primary is having a Jubliee Extravaganza.
Lots of local villages having Jubilee Days in the Square.

RepublicaEuphemia Wed 30-May-12 20:58:09

Which area are you in Tuna?

DD's school is having a Jubilee lunch on Monday, but I'm not aware of anything else going on.

tunafortea Wed 30-May-12 21:45:03

Southern Scotland.
Don't think its especially 'celebrating' QEII 'reigning over us', more of a red/white/blue excuse for a party. School TOTALLY ignored Royal Wedding last year, as did everyone else round here grin

PastSellByDate Fri 01-Jun-12 06:31:38

Totally agree - it's a bank holiday weekend, a spectacle and a great excuse for a party. Why not join in the fun (regardless of view on royalty or ethnicity or choice of dress)!

PS our Braveheart (new nickname for lovely Scot who went to town on teacher regarding Jubilee as 'English only') has formally complained and asked to speak at next governor's meeting about school embracing multi-culturalism a bit more (we are in a major city and the school is veritably the UN with some 30 nationalities represented, in addition to UK nationalities). GO BRAVEHEART!

Bucharest Fri 01-Jun-12 06:40:29

Well done!

Schtoopid teacher.

Parasaurolophus Sat 02-Jun-12 17:44:26

We are in Wales. When I asked what they learned in school, they said "The word Jubilee was never mentioned."

It is the Urdd this weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now