Jezabel - should I take offence?

(32 Posts)
Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 22:45:47

My daughter made her confirmation last week and I emailed a few photos to my MIL who replied that she looked like a Jezabel! I am trying hard not to take offence! She was wearing a knee length dress from Mango and a tailored jacket, no make up or jewellery. WTF? DH says I am over-reacting but I don't see how?

Notquite Tue 19-Mar-13 22:58:02

Was the dress a c

Notquite Tue 19-Mar-13 23:00:35

Is the dress colourful and was MiL expecting her to be in white?

If so she has perhaps overstated her case just a tad...

Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 23:01:40

C? It was a smart, tailored shift dress. Nothing chavvy or revealing. I don't understand the comment at all. Everyone else had said how pretty she looked.

Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 23:02:38

White would be for her Communion and she had that at age 7

noisytoys Tue 19-Mar-13 23:04:09

Are you sure she didn't mean Jezebel (the Disney princess). She's beautiful smile

Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 23:09:22

There's a Disney Jezabel? I don't remember that one?

noisytoys Tue 19-Mar-13 23:17:21

Enchanted

Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 23:20:43

Ah! I doubt it, MIL is 70 and not in the cinema too much these days. AIBU do you think?

noisytoys Tue 19-Mar-13 23:25:33

I don't know another Jezabel (mid 20s, 2DDs all I know is Disney princesses), but from your description your DD looked beautiful and perfect for the occasion smile

Notquite Tue 19-Mar-13 23:27:34

<searches cast list of Enchanted but only finds Giselle>

I suspect/hope MiL isn't entirely aware of the significance of her own reference, but I can see why you're a little hmm

Roll eyes and ignore.

Witco Tue 19-Mar-13 23:30:11

I'm trying Notquite! Grrrrrr!

seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 23:34:35

I am pretty sure there isn't a Disney princess called Jezebel!

Did you ask her what she meant? Could you have misheard or she got her words muddled? It does seem a very odd thing to say.....

noisytoys Tue 19-Mar-13 23:35:49

You're right my bad sadsmile

Witco Wed 20-Mar-13 08:56:53

I haven't asked her what she means (it was an email). DH thinks I should just ignore it and I probably will it just p!ssed me off. DD looked beautiful and modest and I hate the fact that MIL chose to see something else and had to have a dig.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 20-Mar-13 09:01:47

Maybe she was thinking that she should be in white. In the film Jezebel Bette Davis wears a colourful dress instead of the white one she should (if I remember correctly).

I would try not to take offence as often things said in writing don't come across the same as spoken, so maybe she wasn't meaning to be offensive.

Movingtimes Wed 20-Mar-13 09:02:37

That would infuriate me, but are you sure MIL knew what she was saying? If she did then you are definitely not overreacting - that is an appalling thing to say, especially as her outfit sounds perfectly appropriate for the occasion. I would certainly email MIL back and politely ask her to clarify that comment. It is NOT ok to let her think that nasty digs like that will pass unchallenged.

Mumofjz Wed 20-Mar-13 12:46:33

Jezabel would mean a bit tarty in my eyes and would definately be a bit miffed and would probably ask her to clarify.

I think she's probably got her words mixed up.

Witco Wed 20-Mar-13 13:45:32

I think it would be better not to email back. I'm seeing her on Saturday so I will raise it then and see what she says. Stupid woman! Thanks all

seeker Wed 20-Mar-13 13:47:09

She must have got her words muddled up. There are people on here who thought that a Jezebel was a Disney princess-it's something like that- I couldn't be more sure.

CostaTen Wed 20-Mar-13 14:11:47

She didn't say she looks like Jezael though did she? She said she looks like a Jezabel and in my book that means one thing. You are not overreacting OP and I would definitely challenge her about it face to face.

Bunbaker Wed 20-Mar-13 14:12:33

Jezebel was a Queen of Israel. She persecuted Jews and was not a very nice person. The name is generally associated with evil, harlotry and madness.

I have never heard of a Disney Princess calles Jezabel.

TobyLerone Wed 20-Mar-13 14:14:07

I wouldn't be best pleased about that.

I can't remember what I wore for my confirmation, but it definitely wasn't white.

ZZZenAgain Wed 20-Mar-13 14:14:55

that's a very strange comment for her to have made

Kendodd Wed 20-Mar-13 14:15:42

As an aside, I love the name Jezebel. I suggested it for one of my DD's, wisely it wasn't used. Still a beautiful name though, shame about the baggage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now