12 year old son seems to be getting fat but hates sports

(29 Posts)
amck5700 Thu 17-Jan-13 10:55:11

My 12 year old son has always been slim. He is tall for his age (5'4") but since starting High school in the summer he seems to be piling on the weight all of a sudden - he now has love handles and pot belly.

He doesn't enjoy sport as such but he does have a swimming lesson every week, Judo once a week and his 2 periods of PE. He also goes to Scouts. We make him go out on his bike or scooter for a while on saturday and sunday and out to the swimming pool most weekends. I drive him to school and back as there is no other option, it is too far to walk and there is no safe cycle route. It's pretty much dark by the time we get home so other than his formal activities, he doesn't go out after school at the moment.

His preference would be to be on Computer all the time. When he runs out of screen time, his activity of choice would be drawing etc.

He doesn't overeat in the house. Cereal/Fruit Juice for breakfast, Pasta etc for dinner and usually a biscuit/cake & milk for supper. If he wants Crisps he has to have fruit first and he is limited to one small pack a day but doesn't always have it. When at school he can only have school lunch or packed lunch as he has a prepaid lunch card. If he has a packed lunch he is actually having less than he used to at primary. Only a sandwich (cheese or tuna) and a bag of apricots and a drink - anything else comes back uneaten. When he has school lunch he will sually have a baguette so he tells me. He doesn't like chips but then things like that are very limited on the school menu. I suspect he is maybe getting a waffle at morning break.

However, he is 12, when I was 12 I could eat exactly what I wanted and never put on a pound. I am overweight at the moment, but that is down to bad snacking and portion size - am currently on a healthy diet and exercise programme. Apart from when I was pregnant, this is the first time in my life I have been overweight and it seems to be menopause related. My OH and other son are normal/slim too.

I always thought he'd be the type that would come home and eat 12 slices of toast and be thin as a whip so it's sort of taken me aback. I have always been quite critical of people with overweight children blush as I felt that their parents should really have done something about it and not let it get out of hand and I am astonished to find myself in the same predicament. sad

Is it just his age and will it sort itself out or do I really need to get him into some other sort of activity/restrict his diet?

I just wondered if anyone else had been in the same boat and did they just stretch out of it or did they end up as an overweight teenager?

wordfactory Fri 18-Jan-13 10:07:08

When my DD did gymnastics (those were the days. Lovely indoors warm gym. Cafe upstairs...) you could see the girls putting it on around their bellies and bums (because they wore leotards so very obvious) before a growth spurt.

amck5700 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:22:45

Thanks again word (and everyone else) He definitely must be due a stretch I think, he has always been tall (mostly top of the class during primary - apart from one amazingly tall girl who was in his class for a while) but I think a lot of the boys have caught him up and in a couple of cases they seem to have overtaken him although we don't see many kids from his old class anymore. And as I said, his younger brother (13 months younger) is quickly catching him. We measure them on their birthdays and No2 son has always been a fraction shorter than No1 at the same age. I was always tall but my OH although he is 6'2" now, didn't really grow until he was 16. He left school Mr Average then shot up 5 or 6 inches when he started work.

I'll try with the small things rather than book him into Boot Camp, and stick hm in a grow bag at night and see if that helps grin

amck5700 Thu 24-Jan-13 18:58:49

I measured him today and he is now 5'5" so maybe the stretch has started smile

Now his boots are too small and he needs some for Scout camp at the weekend sad

Willtheyevergrowup Thu 17-Apr-14 23:46:46

Please, please, please get his thyroid function tested! Full tsh, ft3 and ft4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now