Pre-school at 3 - how many sessions?

(11 Posts)
wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:01:34

Hi there,

I have twin boys who will be 3 at the end of June. They are due to go to Pre-school in September but I am struggling to settle on how many sessions to send them to. They are intelligent, gregarious and get involved easily but as I would have been at home with them for over 3 years then by then, I'm not sure how they will take it if I put them in for more than one session a week. I have received mixed advice. Your experiences are welcome to help me make up my mind! Thanks very much.

LIZS Tue 26-Mar-13 14:04:33

They may not settle as well if you only do one session and many settings won't offer it, stating a minimum attendance . I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 to start with.

wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:07:25

Oh yes, sorry I know I can't put them in for one and wouldn't want to, I was just saying they may be a bit dismayed if I put them in for 5 - wasn't clear. Thanks for your advice.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 26-Mar-13 14:08:42

I sent my 3 yr old in for 4 sessions over 2 days, and he loved it so much I swiftly moved him up to 3 whole days.

Beatrixpotty Tue 26-Mar-13 16:37:30

DS1 was only just 3 when started pre-school (August birthday).He started doing 2.5 days as 1 morning and 2 days 9-3.Also was doing 9-5.30 day at nursery when i was working.He coped fine and now at 3.5 he has just started doing the full day at nursery at 3x9-3 days at pre-school and loves it.

MajaBiene Tue 26-Mar-13 16:40:08

At my ds's nursery you have to do 15 hours over at least 3 days from 3 years old. He is 2 and has to do at least 2 sessions but he loves it and does 3.

DD will have nearly 2 yrs at her preschool (Dec birthday) so I started her on 2 mornings a week, then up to 3 after first term.

She now does 4 morning and would happily do a fifth I'm sure. However I'm happy to have one day a week where I'm not constantly to-ing and fro-ing to school (have DS in y2)

wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:32:17

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I'll work on it :-)

OddBoots Tue 26-Mar-13 18:35:23

I would suggest a minimum of 2 and not both days together if you only do 2 as it leaves a really long gap between sessions which is the most disruptive thing. If you are doing 2 then a Monday and Thursday or a Tuesday and Friday would work well.

both mine went for 5 x 2.5hr sessions when they got their free sessions age 3 (in Scotland so we only get 12.5 hours free per week)

Coffee1Sugar Sun 07-Apr-13 17:52:30

My dd will be 3 next month and will be going to preschool in september every day from 8.30-11.30 as that's just the way they offer it there (it is part of a primary school)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now