Any much needed advice from mums of babies born early due to placental insufficiency?

(287 Posts)
Millymolliemandy Fri 18-Mar-11 11:24:33

Hi,

We had a very worrying appointment with our consultant yesterday at 26 + 5 weeks, where we were told that the placenta is not working properly and we should prepare ourselves for probable early delivery by c-section. We have another scan/doppler in a week.

We did have some pre-warning that this could happen with a very low PAPP A reading at 12 weeks, baby measuring small at 20 weeks, growth and doppler at 23 weeks where baby was still small but placenta working on the high end of the normal range.

I am desperately trying not to worry myself sick and instead prepare ourselves in the best possible way for baby coming quite soon, if the placenta function decreases over the coming weeks.

I wonder if anyone can give me any practical advice about preparing for a prem baby and a c-section. For some reason, the thought of a c-section is making me particularly upset as I had really hoped for as natural a birth as possible, and I am also desperately keen to breastfeed.

Sorry for the long ramble, but would love to hear from anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation.

clabsyqueen Sat 17-Aug-13 22:32:33

Milly - you've gone mad! 3 kids!!! I cannot comprehend the organisational skills and patience that would take. Currently struggling to rein in my very 'helpful' first born but that's a whole other thread.

Good luck newtoall. You have EVERY reason to be optimistic.

NewToAllThis11 Thu 15-Aug-13 22:13:50

Clabsy and milly, congratulations! That is lovely news and makes me feel way more optimistic about a second pregnancy. I only read this thread recently (when it suddenly became very relevant to me ) and was rooting for you both all the way through. I've heard some really good results from taking aspirin while pregnant after having an IUGR baby. The consultant I saw said I should take aspirin and probably be on heparin for subsequent pregnancies. Congrats and enjoy your lovely babies!

Millymolliemandy Thu 15-Aug-13 22:06:16

Clabsy, congrats, was just about to pm you but saw this happy update, hooray for uneventful second pregnancies, hope you a enjoying your DD2. My second is now CRAWLING and that has taken the day to day chaos to a whole new level. New - yes my second pregnancy was absolutely textbook, and I was extremely well looked after, am now contemplating my third (and definitely final).

clabsyqueen Thu 15-Aug-13 09:46:57

Hi newtoall, just logging in to update on my newbie so good timing! I'm glad this thread has been useful, it was a lifeline for me. hope your LO is doing well. I had my DD2 on Monday at 41 weeks. She wasn't the biggest overdue baby - 6lb 3oz but good enough. Pregnancy was uneventful and I took aspirin til 36 weeks and blood flow and dopplers were always good. Doc said in his experience each pregnancy is completely independent of the others. I wish I could say birth was easy snd uneventful but you can't have it all! I demanded a VBAC and am beginning to think I was crazy! Good luck if you're thinking of more babies!

NewToAllThis11 Sat 10-Aug-13 12:46:10

Hi all

I found this thread really interesting and useful after my DS was born at 27 weeks due to IUGR as a result of placental insufficiency ( story above) Just wondering if there are any updates from posters who are expecting babies following placenta problems with their first? Apologies if this sounds nosey - just really found your positive stories helpful soon after DS was born and interested to hear how your subsequent pregnancies went. Hoping you all had / are having boring, straightforward pregnancies and birth.

Jadeemummykai Mon 17-Jun-13 20:59:29

Hi I have a prem baby 4 and half month old 1 month corrected I was In a car accident and had a placenta ebration and had to have an emergency c section at just 28 week gestation having a section is not bad at all the scar is really neat and usually after having one you can be mobile with in just a few days it's a bit sore, having a premi baby is hard but rewarding like mine I got to watch him grow outside the womb we was in hospital for 3 month he is home now he's on a lot of meds and a nurse has to come every week and he has a lot of doc and hosp appointment this is only because he got a life threatening infection called neck and he is a very happy little boy the nurses in nicu are brilliant and it's amazing what they do they really are angels if you would like to know anything else just ask Hun x

clabsyqueen Fri 14-Jun-13 18:13:08

Hi sixer, sounds like things are still going smoothly for you. Lovely news. Today is charlottes birthday - we popped into NNU to leave a card and I failed to hold back the tears. I wonder when i'll stop crying on her birthday? What a traumatic time, and still more people go through it every day. Next scan is this Wednesday 33 weeks and expecting to be asked to set a date for c-section too. I'm actually feeling more positive about a natural birth (naive?). I'm keeping an open mind of course.

sixer10 Fri 14-Jun-13 10:00:48

Hi Jo, have you had a further scan now? I remember so vividly feeling just on the cusp of things turning out ok, wishing for a weight of 500g, and being unable to sleep with the worry that they wouldn't. It's so reassuring to have had the steroids though, to give your LO's breathing a massive boost if needed.

Clabsy, just been rereading this thread - remarkable to think that Charlotte was born already at this point two years' ago! What an amazing journey it was. My next scan isn't until 16th July, which seems like a very long time and in the meantime I swing from complacence to impatience to panic constantly. I'm afraid I'm probably like your OH - having had a C-section, I can no longer find much enthusiasm for a natural birth. So I'm hoping to have a provisional date set at my 34-week appointment on 1st July. How's things with you?

clabsyqueen Fri 14-Jun-13 00:47:20

Loving Jo, this is the right thread for finding someone who's been through the hell you're currently living in. It's been a bit quiet for a while but I'm here to hold your hand if you want it. This is a long thread and there's lots of info about IUGR hiding in it but if you have any questions then do ask and ill try to help as best I can. As a quick word of optimism I was told at 24 and 26 weeks that my baby would probably die in the next day or so. She didn't and we made it to 28 weeks - we know we were VERY lucky to get there. I'll check back soon to see how you're doing.

NewToAllThis11 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:37:11

Hi Jo, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time. I have had a similar experience so I understand some of what you are feeling. I had a growth scan at 26+6 after my bump measured slightly small which showed placental insufficiency and that my baby had severe IUGR. The doctors told me that the conditions my baby was in would only worsen and so he was better out rather than in. He was then delivered by emergency caesarean the next day at 27w weighing 655g. I had had the steroid injections a week earlier abroad because I'd had some spotting on holiday so they gave me the injections as a precaution, although I'm so glad they did now.
This was in March and my DS is now 38w and 4lbs 2. He's still in hospital because he's on oxygen which he'll probably need to come home on, but other then that he's doing well. It's an incredibly difficult and traumatic time but these tiny babies can be very resilient.
I think I was lucky in that everything happened so quickly with me so I didn't have time to think about what was happening, but I can imagine you are so worried. I really hope everything works out for you and I'll be thinking of you x

LovingJo Wed 12-Jun-13 21:14:24

Hi there everyone, i am really hoping i can get some much needed support and info at this horrible stage in my pregnancy. Ive been told i have Severe IUGR due to placental malfunction. Im 24 + 5 weeks and at my 20 week scan everything seemed to be normal, but at 23 +3 weeks, baby had not grown barley at all being only 456g. Obs told me that the blood flow from the placenta was not being fed through properly. There was also only a deepest pool of an inch of fluid. A week on, nothing has changed and even less fluid. They have given me the 2 steroid injections to improve a chance if born in next few days/weeks but they dont hold out much hope?! I just dont know what to do, feel or think. My sleep is out of the window and i have so many others trying to keep me positive with stories. But i need facts with people that have been through this. Please help..... Thank You xxx

efeslight Fri 17-May-13 12:04:46

Hello clabsy and sixer, glad to hear things are going well at the moment, wishing you both all the best.

clabsyqueen Fri 17-May-13 08:55:00

Hi sixer, I'm glad to hear that aspirin continues to serve you well. Congratulations! I'm 28+4 today and C was born at 28+3 so another milestone reached. Phew. Next scan is at 29ish weeks next week. Not been told to stop aspirin. Consultant said if growth and placenta keep looking ok then he prefers natural birth but there'll be no induction and I won't be allowed to go too much overdue (if at all). So chances of c-section look high to me but not a definite by any means. Other half petrified of natural birth! I don't have any faith that we'll get that far tbh but have fingers crossed for 32 weeks or more now. Stay in touch. Don't be superstitious!

sixer10 Thu 16-May-13 13:39:44

Weeell, it's so far so good for me as well, though I hardly like to tempt fate by posting it. One of the arteries had a blood flow at the low end of normal at 24 weeks, but the average of the two was apparently no cause for concern. Baby estimated at just over a kilo at 27-week scan on Monday, with consultant remarking on how amazing aspirin is. I have to carry on with aspirin to 32 weeks, but won't be scanned again till 36, which will feel very strange as Eleanor was 2 weeks' old at that point. Are you still led to expect a c-section at 37 weeks, and on aspirin similarly?

clabsyqueen Wed 01-May-13 19:34:13

How's things sixer? Had a scan at 26 weeks today and all looks good for baby and growth at the mo. blood flow through the uterine artery is not ideal but currently not affecting flow through the umbilical artery and baby is keeping a nice growth curve albeit on the lower centiles however she has already surpassed charlottes birthweight which is a relief I can tell you.

clabsyqueen Thu 11-Apr-13 18:23:20

So sorry but I've no experience of your situation. IME raised dopplers meant small baby, I've done a lot of googling on the subject and not come across your situation. Hope someone can help and give you some reassurance.

Munkiemorgan555 Thu 11-Apr-13 17:52:33

Hi I wonder if anyone has been in my position I was sent to the Hosp because my midwife measured my belly and it was measuring 25 wks when I'm 28wk + 2 and they scanne me at the Hosp and my dopplers were raised they scanned me again 2 days later and my dopplers are still raised but the baby is measuring above average on the graph so they are pleased with the growth! Has anyone else been in this situation as normally with raised dopplers babies are measuring small the doctors have told me it doesn't make sense the puzzle doesn't fit!!!!!! This doesn't help me tho will I have to have the baby early they have said I cud have I would be lowly of someone else with raised dopplers but normal growth could let me know wht happened with their pregnancy I'm terrified I have a 6 yr old and 2 yr old and havig a prem baby is scary as they will miss out x

CelticPromise Thu 21-Mar-13 13:30:56

Thank you sixer. That is good to hear about fertility from both of you, we do want to try again as soon as it is all over.

Hope your pregnancy continues to go smoothly.

sixer10 Thu 21-Mar-13 12:12:51

Celtic, what devastating news. I'm so very sorry you have to go through this; it seems so unjust. I hope the world is very kind to you over coming days and weeks; meanwhile your optimism is a great gift. The increased fertility after a miscarriage is more than an old wives' tale - a fertility expert that we saw before we conceived Eleanor said the same thing, though I can't remember how he explained it. I know of more than one mother who would testify to it, also. So I hope you will be back into battle (as it were!) as soon as you feel ready. Take care of yourself xx

CelticPromise Wed 20-Mar-13 21:12:45

Thanks clabsy. We are positive about the future along with the sadness, I am one of those relentlessly optimistic types, I can't help it. Tough few weeks to come though. Thankyou for your kind words x

clabsyqueen Wed 20-Mar-13 20:20:01

Take care and be back soon.

clabsyqueen Wed 20-Mar-13 20:19:33

Oh that's really rubbish news Celtic. I hope you can keep your spirits up enough to start trying again quickly. Maybe an old wives tale but lots of people say you are more fertile after a miscarriage. I took a year to get pregnant the first time, had a miscarriage and then pregnant within 2 months. There's no rhyme or reason to these things but I'm hoping there's something in the old wives tale to keep you optimistic.

CelticPromise Wed 20-Mar-13 17:10:22

Glad all is well so far clabsy. I'm sure it's natural to over analyse when you've been through what you have!

Sadly I'm out for the time being. Had a bit of bleeding last night so I went into EPU this morning. I should be 10+4 but scan showed the baby died about nine weeks. We are completely gutted, but DH is being fab and we're looking after each other.

I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancies, will check in from time to time. Hope I am back soon.

clabsyqueen Tue 19-Mar-13 20:16:11

I wonder if we crossed paths Celtic?! Hoping your cramps are nothing. So crappy to be constantly worried - you must be nearly 10 weeks now? My scan was also normal today sixer. Phew. We are both past another post. I had been reassured until the doc reminded me that everything with C was also normal at 20 weeks. Thanks for that doc! 17th April for growth scan and dopplers. The femur length although normal looked a bit too close to the 5th centile for my liking and the PI of the umbilical arteries was sky high and off the chart but again 'normal for this stage'. I'm analysing too much no doubt. Hope to check back in 4 weeks to give and get good news from you both.

CelticPromise Tue 19-Mar-13 14:20:19

Great news sixer. Thanks for the info about the aspirin too, I had not heard about the risk reduction, that is quite a difference.

Thinking of you today clabsy hope all is well. In fact I was at UCH today for first consultant appointment. It was fairly pointless as I haven't even had a scan yet but consultant was lovely and already knew all about me which was great.

Having a few mild cramps today and crossing fingers it's normal, got to get past 12 weeks before I can worry about the next stage...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now