Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant women fart and eat more - shock, horror!

(24 Posts)
1mum1 Wed 04-Nov-09 16:22:36

My husband just said pregnant women use pregnancy as an excuse to fart and eat more! Don't worry I came back with an equally scathing putdown. Is it actually true that you fart more when you are pregnant? (I already know I eat more!).

flybynight Wed 04-Nov-09 17:04:49

I couldn't vouch for it scientifically, but anecdotally I'd say, erm, yes blush.

fiziwizzle Wed 04-Nov-09 17:34:48

Oh my goodness me YES.

Morloth Wed 04-Nov-09 18:06:57

Tell him to keep his opinions to himself and get his arse into the kitchen and make you a sandwich.

To be fair though I do rather enjoy pregnancy as a time for "Fuck it, I want a doughnut".

Not sure about needing an excuse to fart more though, it is going to happen whether I care or not.

crokky Wed 04-Nov-09 18:08:30

Their intestines are crushed, I should think they do fart more!

JoseyM Wed 04-Nov-09 19:09:53

Oh my goodness yes! I have never been one for 'freely farting' and have never felt comfortable with it (neither myself or DH do it in front of each other) I have been mortified since being pregnant though that just as i slip of to sleep and begin to relax i do the loudest farts, i've even woken myself up! I just can't help it and cringe every time i go to bed!!

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 04-Nov-09 19:11:44

lol Josey!

I am farting more.

corblimeymadam Wed 04-Nov-09 19:11:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mollybob Wed 04-Nov-09 19:13:56

another major farter here - last night I got up for a wee and got back into bed beside half asleep DH and the activity set off a major farting session right in his face

blush

BellasYummyMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 19:42:56

i am like a trumpet tonight!! grin

butterscotch Wed 04-Nov-09 19:47:26

Oh yes! Farting is bad and foul smelling when pregnant!

flyingcloud Wed 04-Nov-09 19:52:33

Oh golly, yes to both.

I often work at home and I have to remind myself that I can't fart like I do on my own all the time as it is just awful!

I too have woken myself up in the night and I try to go to bed a bit after DH as it's at its worst when I am dropping off to sleep!

jabberwocky Wed 04-Nov-09 19:55:02

Unfortunately yes blush

Fibilou Thu 05-Nov-09 11:01:44

apparently food stays in the intestine longer when you're PG to allow the maximum nutritional benefit to be taken out - which leads to more wind

Morloth Thu 05-Nov-09 11:03:58

It is the random burping in public that has caused the most issues for me. Walking along, HUGE burp - people turn to look...

And these giant single hiccup things. Really loud, totally random.

Purplebuns Thu 05-Nov-09 11:08:00

Definitely and my vitamins seemed to make it much much worse!

bigpreggybelly Thu 05-Nov-09 12:16:09

I haven't farted any more than usual but I have the most hideous belching problem instead!

Poledra Thu 05-Nov-09 12:21:00

We have a photograph of DDs 1 and 2 sitting on either side of me holding their noses at the dinner table when I was pg with DD3. blush I honestly couldn't produce a fart like that when not pg unless I ate only brussels sprouts and lentils for days!

RnB Thu 05-Nov-09 12:21:36

I remember when I was pregnant with ds1, I was half asleep and in bed next to my xdh. The baby moved and I let of an incredible (and I mean incredible) fart. It was amazingly loud, and I'm not joking, must have lasted a full 15 seconds.

My xdh just got out of bed, without a word, and left the room grin

nomorebooze Thu 05-Nov-09 12:26:07

i dont fart any more than normal, he he! but burp terribly, cant stop it either! better out than in!!!!!!!!!!1

nomorebooze Thu 05-Nov-09 12:28:01

just read 'bigpreggybellys' post snap!!!!!

doireallyhaveto Thu 05-Nov-09 14:14:45

Since I've farted like a primeval swamp since the day I was born, according to my mother, it's hard to tell the difference. My more ladylike friends tell me that they do indeed fart more.

Slower digestion is apparently the cause.

Thankfully, DH is amused, rather than horrified. RnB's post made me snigger - happened all the time with my ex...

cyteen Thu 05-Nov-09 14:17:37

IME the excessive farting doesn't stop once the baby's been born blush

<<waves arm ineffectually>>

geraldinerosebud Thu 05-Nov-09 16:31:58

RnB, your story cracked me up, I could sooooo imagine the situation!

I too have fallen victim to the mahoosive single hiccup syndrome and at least twice as much burping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now