Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tour of labour ward today, I have a question!

(44 Posts)
BlueJellie Sat 16-Aug-08 15:05:48

Went on my hospital tour today, and one thing really struck me ... all the pictures of the new mums after labour etc they showed us, were naked?! Literally ALL of them. I know this may sound really really stupid, but its worried me now! I was hoping to give birth in a nighty, whereas they made out at the hospital that women give birth butt naked. Please tell me I'm being irrational here!

lou031205 Fri 29-Aug-08 19:05:40

First time, I suddenly had to strip off, just wore my bra.

Second time, I wore a vest top pyjama set, and took my trousers off for active labour.

Do what makes you comfortable, but you may find that you act completely out of character in labour, and it is quite liberating!

BlueJellie Fri 29-Aug-08 18:43:12

lol glad this thread has been revived I've had a right giggle reading the recent replies! As an update, I've packed my hospital bag with two cheap nighties that button up at the front, and I've hacked off the bottom few inches to make them between thigh and knee length. If any one tries to take my nightie off I will probaby scream hysterically ( though may be doing that anyway). Right now my stomach looks like a map of the underground!

f1nut Fri 29-Aug-08 16:23:27

when my last bubs came it took 33 mins after i got to hos, was wearing jeans and swaeter, i had 1 midwife ripping my jeans of while the other was reaching under to catch my lil boy, i was being heaved about uptop by dh with him trying to pull off my sweater so they could put my son on my chest, was quite funny looking back.

am due my next in a few weeks and have brought a cheapy nighty but with all liklyhood will probobly strip it off.

cathym Fri 29-Aug-08 14:21:41

I didn't give a monkeys about what I was wearing or my dignity and I had an elective c-section! All I was thinking about was making sure the baby was OK (we were expecting problems) and I really didn't care about anything else.

I'd just like to add that this thread is the funniest thing I have read all day. I have been laughing out loud at my desk much to the amusement of my colleagues who have no idea what I am reading

hazeyjane Fri 29-Aug-08 13:37:30

I did care about what i wore (don't really know why) and both times wore a really pretty white cotton nighty, the MW thought i was insane, but i still have it now (boil washed!) and it makes me very emotional whenever I look at it.

goodluck, whether you decide to go for formal or butt-naked!smile

MonkeyLover Fri 29-Aug-08 13:23:05

ROFL at ShowofHands grin

I just wore socks both times. Wasn't planned but they were the only thing I couldn't reach to snatch off.

They're now my lucky socks smile

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 13:21:55

You can give birth in whatever you want. I used a big T-shirt nightie that I got in America but that was in the winter and we had the windows open until just before the birth.

Labour and maternity wards are very hot and there may come a point where you just want to be comfy and you don't care how many people are at the end of the bed looking at your lady bits. You are too busy giving birth and it all becomes a bit instinctive.

I hated the thought of having to show off my private parts but when it came to it i just didn't care.. my thoughts were elsewhere

"You honestly won't care"

What nonsense, just because you didn't care doesn't mean she won't.

I kept a tee shirt/nightie on throughout my labour and certainly wouldn't have liked to be naked.

birdinatent Fri 22-Aug-08 19:23:31

showofhands, that is hilarious grin.

I was just going to say that I gave birth 3 times in the same red James t shirt, the one with the big white flower on it, and I chose it so it didnt show the blood!!!!!

ShowOfHands Fri 22-Aug-08 19:19:41

I am such a prude, really, completely prudish. However, I had to transfer to hospital after a very long labour including 6 hours of pushing and no baby to show for it. I was plodding down the stairs (3 storey house, was in the pool on the middle floor) to the waiting ambulance totally starkers at 3pm on a bright, sunny day. The midwife ran after me waving my knickers and a t-shirt shouting "the neighbours are all out there wondering what's happening, you'll want your pants on at least and a wee top". My head rotated 360 degrees and I growled something about 'dignity' and 'bollocks' and I carried on trudging to the ambulance. There were about 17 neighbours in their gardens. I can still remember the look on my elderly neighbour's face as I huffed naked, blood-stained, dripping wet and contracting across his petunias. I was a shambles that day.

Backgammon Fri 22-Aug-08 19:10:36

I started in a tee-shirt, then a hospital gown which I later ripped off in a fit of frustration. You honestly won't care.

Good luck!

Thanks for this thread ladies, I am now crying with laughter!! grin

littleducks Sat 16-Aug-08 22:03:25

sorry first sentence refers to first birth second to second birth!

littleducks Sat 16-Aug-08 22:02:03

I gave birth in my 'day clothes' an ankle length jersey skirt and full sleeved top in the birth centre

dh got my clothes on me after phoning the ambulance but before paramedics arrived (i got out the bath) same skirt and a t shirt

it mattered to me, do whatever you want at the time! but if you do wear something black is best

EyeballsintheSky Sat 16-Aug-08 21:53:55

Come to think of it, they had to pester me to put a dressing gown on. I did have my nightie but for some reason that wasn't enough. It was a closed department so still don't see what the big deal was. I wasn't bare-arsed.

Minniethemoocher Sat 16-Aug-08 21:52:13

I gave birth naked, the labour ward was baking hot and so was I!

I really didn't give a damn, and after having a midwife looking up my fanjo, being naked was the least of my worries.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 16-Aug-08 21:50:04

oh, and because i had post-cs complications an auxillary nurse had to help me shower too over a week later. half of the uk medical profession has seen my fanjo now!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 16-Aug-08 21:47:48

the midwife had to plead with me to put my nightie on as they wheeled me into theatre. apparently it would upset the other ladies, not as much as it upset me i can tell you that!

EyeballsintheSky Sat 16-Aug-08 21:44:12

Bearing in mind I am a size 20 now so must have been on my way to a 24 in labour... I wasn't naked but only because I couldn't think straight enough to take my nightdress off! It was round my waist, my norks were hanging out and I really didn't give a toss.

Twinklemegan Sat 16-Aug-08 21:13:51

Bearing in mind though that it was more than 30 degrees in the labour ward, the ice machine wasn't working, and they shut the windows more than an hour before I gave birth because they thought DS was about to come!

Twinklemegan Sat 16-Aug-08 21:11:31

Aniseed - I cared very much before and I care afterwards. But at the time, when I'd already been pushing for 3 hours, what I was/wasn't wearing was absolutely the last thing on my mind!

PetitFilou1 Sat 16-Aug-08 19:19:45

aniseed why does your first birth make you cringe though? I'm sure the mw doesn't remember it any differently to any of the hundreds of others she's helped with...

MrsTittleMouse Sat 16-Aug-08 19:09:51

I would never consent to having photos of me just after birth used to educate other new parents. But then I am really selfish and horrible and there are people who are happy to help out. After all, there are "professional patients" who are willing for medical students to examine them for practise. I'd never do that either!

I honestly can't remember how I gave birth. blush I was in the water at one point, so I suppose I didn't have my T-shirt on then. But I seem to remember waking up in it the next day. Maybe they put it back on me when I was transferred to the CLU.... ??

Nbg Sat 16-Aug-08 19:07:31

I cant understand whats really dignified about having your legs akimbo pushing a baby out!

aniseed Sat 16-Aug-08 18:53:58

I have to say that I disagree with the 'not caring' bit. I really cared about my dignity and thinking about my first birth still makes me cring now! I tried very hard to maintain dignity throughout labour (unsuccessfully!) but one way of doing so (if you want to) is to wear a nightie. I wore an old one which I then threw away after the event. However, at the end it had to come off so I could be cleaned up but that was only in front of one midwife who was very nice. I think any scrap of dignity that can be retained during birth would be a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now