Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brown discharge in early pregnancy? Anyone else had this?

(303 Posts)
lewpylew Mon 07-Feb-05 19:27:06

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and woke up this morning to find some browny coloured discharge when I wiped(soory for TMI!). I have seen the doctor and called the maternity unit who say as long as it is not accompanied by pain it is fine and to rest and keep an eye on it.

Just wanted some reassurance! I have a stitch like pain but it is by my naval on the right hand side, so I think too high up to be connected to baby. I think I have probably pulled a muscle, but just worrying!

Please help!

Emma xx

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 07:40:13

How are you this morning, Pat?

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 10:15:58

still red but it stops at nite

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 15:23:51

If it's not getting worse that sounds hopeful. What time is your scan tomorrow? Be prepared that they will need to do a vaginal scan at that stage with the charmingly titled dildo-cam. It's not too bad, less uncomfortable than a smear. Fingers crossed you get to see a little flicker of a heartbeat.

luanmahi Sun 03-Mar-13 15:43:09

I had this and as it was my first pregnancy and I didn't know what to expect, I rushed myself off to hospital. It turned out to be a thrush which just went on its own.

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:04:51

hi its stops at nite had some small cramps and like a slime as well

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:08:11

and still feel tired

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 19:09:50

It's normal to get more discharge and stretching crampy feelings in early pregnancy. Hopefully your mind will be set to rest at the scan. Let us know how it goes.

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:13:55

will im just realy worriyin as last year i mc and scard aain iv had some slimey discharge aswell cramps anit bad thay come and go discharge gets little bit reder and think had 2 small small clots

patmorgan12 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:18:58

and filled a pad aswell

Bakingtins Sun 03-Mar-13 20:07:08

I know. I've had 2 MCs and they started with just a bit of brown discharge. Seeing that during regular frantic knicker checking is the worst feeling in the world when you've lost a baby before. I'm terrified that I'll get to the scan on Thursday and they'll say the baby has died. Trying to be positive because I know I can't influence the outcome by worrying but it is hard. I'm keeping fingers crossed for good news for you tomorrow.

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 08:48:39

i got scanb at 10 this morrning but anit keeping my hopes up im just passing like a redish slime

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 08:49:03

scan

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 19:58:35

well on friday it started as a pink slime for an hour then stopped until sat morning when woke up it was browny slime went to a&e didnt do anythin booked for a scan as the day went on it was lighter but more red and come the night time i had stopped then sunday mornin got up started again browny red not really had any cramps in the time 2days been more darky browny red sometimes dark pinky havent passed any clots its just alot of red browny slime had the scan this mornin and they said that the lining had thickened since 2weeks ago my hcg levels were 860 a week ago they cudnt see anythin else on the scan so they took some more blood get the results 2moro

Cocodale Mon 04-Mar-13 20:01:20

Yes all 3 pregnancies with no problems x

patmorgan12 Mon 04-Mar-13 20:02:36

its been more constant 2day but was stopping and starting all sat n sun and this mornin when i got up with the kids for school i had terrible back ache still got it and so tired still weeing alot

Bakingtins Mon 04-Mar-13 20:07:39

My brown discharge has progressed to bleeding and cramping so it's MC no3 for me. sad
Pat I hope everything works out for you.

patmorgan12 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:26:40

ok thx ok results am in of my blood results thay wa 840 last monday and thay said just that thay am now there are in there 2000s any ideas now please?

Bakingtins Tue 05-Mar-13 09:41:31

Think the levels are supposed to approximately double every 48-72 hours so since they have gone up a lot sounds like things may be progressing. Have you got another scan booked? They'd normally rescan you in a week and hope to see an embryo with a heartbeat in there. Hopefully you are just a little less far on than you thought and it will be better news next week.

patmorgan12 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:15:51

yer next monday for scran just dont no why the brown discharge and redish slime and got back ache now

WORRIEDWOMAN13 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:55:48

HI can anybody help me. I havent had a missed period yet it due in a few days i have been trying to get pregnant for a few months now, today i have went to the bathroom and noticed a light brown discharge. I have had mild cramps and have been feeling sick, especially in the evening and my breasts are very tender? can anybody help me to figure this one out??

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 19:11:14

Hello please help! I'm on my 13th pregnancy with no live children and I am experiencing the brown discharge and pains. I have spoken to nurses and like you all they have said brown blood is fine as it's old but I'm just so worried that I miscarry again!!! What shall I do I don't want to keep troubling the midwives every 5 minutes!!!

lizziekal Sat 11-Jan-14 19:24:15

How many weeks are you?

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 19:42:54

About 5 weeks

lizziekal Sat 11-Jan-14 19:57:28

I can understand why you're so worried given your awful history. I had 4 losses before this pregnancy which seems (amazingly) to be sticking (27 weeks now) and have had lots of spotting and bleeding with this pregnancy too.
Okay, so brown discharge at 5 weeks as you know can just be implantation bleeding but given that you have had repeated losses and are experiencing pain then you really should be offered some support from your local EPU - does your local unit offer self-referrals or do you have to go through your GP? If you can self-refer then I would contact them asap and perhaps exaggerate the pains a little and say that they are only on one side (it may feel horribly dishonest but you are more likely to be seen if there is a chance of this pregnancy being ectopic).
The biggest problem will, of course, be that at 5 weeks there is very little that can be done and not a great deal that can be seen on an ultrasound so most GPs and EPUs will tell you that you will just have to wait and see how things work out. If you have a very understanding GP or EPU they may offer to do test your HCG levels over a couple of days to see if things are at least heading in the right direction but, again, this will very much depend on where you're based.
Try to call your EPU and see if they can help. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Desperatelywanttobeamum Sat 11-Jan-14 20:10:01

I've been in and out of my EPU for the last 2 weeks as I had pain on New Year's Eve. They done a scan and couldn't see anything so I had 3 HCG tests and it only went up a little from 732 - 935 - 1200 so I had another scan and they could see a sac in the womb which was good as they thought it might be ectopic. I go back a week Monday to see if it has progressed further. But I'm just worried as the pains are worse then they were last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now