Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Implantation bleed?

(18 Posts)
nervousshockedexcited Sat 12-Mar-16 13:13:49

In surprise/shock a bit here. Tried to conceive for a year and then had a mmc at 10 weeks. Couldn't handle trying again for 3 months and it's been a year since then with ttc and to be honest we'd given up hope a bit.

For that year we we'd everything right and everything possible. But nothing.

Some things happened recently that meant we decided not to try at all, we both have had flu and I've done everything wrong. I thought there was no way I could be pregnant despite feeling the same breast aches as I did with my first. I had my period about 2.5 weeks ago. It was shorter than normal but clotty and bright red.

I took two tests this morning, clear blue normal which registered with a dark positive cross in about 30 seconds and the digital one which says '2-3' weeks.

How can I be 2-3 weeks when i had my period? My friend said it must have been an implantation bleed but it just seems strange- i never had one with my first and it was very like a period.

I'm already shocked and worried about all the medications I've taken. I did so much 'right' with my first pregnancy and my baby died. Now I've done everything wrong. Unlike the first pregnancy my reaction was shock and disbelief. I'm happy but not like with my first if that makes sense?

I guess I'm asking if anyone had anything similar bleed wise and anyone felt the same in pregnancy after miscarriage?

outputgap Sat 12-Mar-16 21:24:41

Hi, yes, with this pregnancy, which is my 6th, but 3rd successful one, I had my first implantation bleed. I had honestly thought they were a bit of an urban myth, but it was like the beginning of my period, and then abruptly stopped. I could not work out what was going on, but like you, I was pregnant. I had no idea implantation bleeding would be so heavy. I imagined it was tiny spotting.

And yes, absolutely, once you've had a miscarriage, the kind of innocent joy of pregnancy goes I think. You're still happy, but with a reservation, because sadly you know that it doesn't always work out.

But it's great that you're pregnant again, and miscarriage is horribly common, but doesn't stop you having subsequent successful pregnancies. Very best of luck with it, and if you don't mind me asking, have you had your thyroid levels checked? (I was symptomless but my slightly knackered thyroid seemed to halt me getting pregnant until I got treatment, and can be associated also with mI scarring. Your gp can arrange it. Check your tsh is under 2.)

HappyInL0nd0n Sun 13-Mar-16 12:38:59

Hey - congratulations, sounds like you're pregnant! :-)

I had implantation bleeding. I had friends coming over on a Saturday night, got what I thought was my period on Saturday morning, felt mildly disappointed and then thought, woot, at least I can enjoy a few drinks this evening.

I enjoyed LOTS of drinks that evening, felt like utter death the next day, thought 'that's strange, my period is usually a lot heavier, not lighter on day 2'... Nothing at all on day 3. Day 6, I did a pregnancy test... I'm due in a couple of weeks.

Wishing you a very happy, very healthy pregnancy.

outputgap Sun 13-Mar-16 14:15:01

Sorry, just realised it should say 'associated with miscarriage'. Autocorrect joy.

Bern1979 Sun 13-Mar-16 14:30:49

Hi, i wonder if u could help me please
Im approx 10 weeks pregnant, i started brown bleeding weds week was similar to period on n off for 5 days. My 1st scan was monday week n they took measurements as it was too early to tell anything, my next scan is this weds coming, i never had any morning sickness, just had the odd cramping feeling when i did bleed. My baby bump is still growing, im still getting positive hpt's and im still eating n tired. Could i be possible still be pregnant 🙏

Bern1979 Sun 13-Mar-16 14:31:02

Hi, i wonder if u could help me please
Im approx 10 weeks pregnant, i started brown bleeding weds week was similar to period on n off for 5 days. My 1st scan was monday week n they took measurements as it was too early to tell anything, my next scan is this weds coming, i never had any morning sickness, just had the odd cramping feeling when i did bleed. My baby bump is still growing, im still getting positive hpt's and im still eating n tired. Could i be possible still be pregnant 🙏

outputgap Sun 13-Mar-16 15:35:21

Hi Bern. Brown bleeds are very common, and are often fine.

At your scan, did they agree with your dates? And could they see a heartbeat?

magpie17 Sun 13-Mar-16 15:51:07

I had an implantation bleed with DS, bright red blood etc. I assumed it was my period but it stopped very suddenly and my period doesn't. I took a test about a week later as I just had a 'feeling' and it was positive. So it does happen.

Problem is, I'm ttc again now and every time my period starts I think it's that again - it never is!

Congratulations!

nervousshockedexcited Sun 13-Mar-16 16:20:04

HI outputgap Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm sorry for your losses. flowers

Thank you smile

That's exactly how I imagined it so I was disappointed and thought we'd stop for a while. And the feeling you describe is how I feel right now, happy but very very wary.

I haven't had my thyroid checked for a few years. Should I mention it to my doctor? I was going to call her tomorrow just for peace of mind with all the medication I've been taken. Plus my cervix is really achy.

nervousshockedexcited Sun 13-Mar-16 16:22:35

Hi HappyInL0nd0n, thank you smile and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Like you I thought that was my period but it seems to match up with the clearblue results so I guess it must have been. I've been drinking too and taking a lot of medicines so I'm a bit worried but hopefully all is good.

nervousshockedexcited Sun 13-Mar-16 16:24:04

Thank you magpie17, I definitely thought mine was my period too, maybe your body will be contradictory like mine and have no implantation bleed next time? Just to make the ttc journey that little bit more frustrating then it already is.

nervousshockedexcited Sun 13-Mar-16 16:25:20

Bern1979 I hope all goes well for you. My mother had bleeds with my sister, and spotting, and my sister was happily secure.

Bern1979 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:56:37

My scan was a bit of a blur, he went and got a second opinion, i dont have an exact date, they werent sure so took measurements to see of develops any further, didnt say anything about a heartbeat just saud its too early to say, my original hpt on 23rd of jan said 3+ so i should be between 10-12 weeks. This week my bump has grew loads i look 4 mths pregnant???

outputgap Sun 13-Mar-16 21:20:18

Gosh Bern, how nerve racking. I can only say that there are many many accounts of brown bleeding which have been part of normal pregnancies. You could always start your own thread to get more advice from others who have been through it. Very best of luck with it.

HappyInL0nd0n Sun 13-Mar-16 22:59:31

Thanks, nervousshockedexcited. I wouldn't worry about the drinking/meds in the first few days. The doctor said to me that it's not until the fertilised egg properly attaches and the cord forms (i.e. when your bloodstream's nutrients start passing across) that it really matters on the alcohol/medication front. FWIW, I've had a very healthy pregnancy and touch wood, so far all my tests have been good, etc.

Best of luck. smile

nervousshockedexcited Mon 14-Mar-16 16:33:24

Thanks HappyInL0nd0n, that's very reassuring. I'm really glad your pregnancy is going well.

Bern1979 Thu 17-Mar-16 12:13:56

I lost baby at 5 weeks back in January😢 my body didnt register and carried on growing and causing systems, i go in saturday for the procedure, am so sad. Quite cruel you have to wait 14 weeks to find out x thanks for support

outputgap Thu 17-Mar-16 17:42:40

I'm really sorry to hear that Bern. That sounds really hard.

Take it easy if you can. Be super nice to yourself, and don't feel bad about needing to grieve. It's a hard loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now