Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The agony that is Thrush...

(23 Posts)
Paperblank Sat 02-Jan-16 12:31:39

Oh my good god. I'm in bloody itchy hell. DH will be despatched to Tesco as soon as he gets in to purchase canesten. I've normally got a spare treatment in the cupboard but no such luck today.

It actually hurts to walk!

confused

RubyWoooo Sat 02-Jan-16 12:39:49

Oh god, I feel for you. I've been there in my first pregnancy. Bloody agony. I've managed to escape it this time, thank fuck.

I found in the absence of an immediate supply of Canesten, a towel / flannel soaked in cold water and applied to the itch provided a tiny bit of relief (clearly wash on hot / burn it afterwards grin)

possum18 Sat 02-Jan-16 12:41:21

The best thing I've found is coal tar soap, it's about 80p in boots and honestly the best!! It smells very clinical but cleared me up in 2 days after weeks of trying different creams and being miserable and pregnant. Good luck!!

possum18 Sat 02-Jan-16 12:43:08

m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255325749&gclid=CKPXqMiTi8oCFaLnwgodG6wA5Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

CharmingChampignon Sat 02-Jan-16 12:45:32

I've suffered really badly this pregnancy - my top tip (obv no help today) is to but the cream off eBay - it's really cheap and means I have some in every bag/bathroom.

Paperblank Sat 02-Jan-16 13:08:04

Thanks for the tips!

I've asked him to get some coal tar soap too (bit of a passion killer scent but he's not going to be close to my bits for a little while!)

Late pregnancy is just so glamorous...

ALR123 Sat 02-Jan-16 17:21:13

I'm 38 weeks and have just got over my first pregnancy-thrush episode! Honestly thought I'd dodged it. Made the mistake of going to chemist myself to get a pessary and they refused to give it me so had to go to my docs for a prescription.
They do say the Canestan pessary is safe but you mustn't use the applicator, just insert with fingers!
I took it on Thurs night and I am feeling fine now. Good luck , it is shite. Especially when you wake up scratching in the night :-(

Paperblank Sat 02-Jan-16 18:16:25

I sent DH for that very reason. I'm 31 weeks, so evidently pregnant. I had it on prescription last time which they are happy to give you but not to purchase OTC.

The cream is already giving me some relief from the dreaded itch!

BrienneofQarth Sat 02-Jan-16 18:20:20

I'm just developing it for the third time at 35 weeks, it's hellish! Getting really pissed off with the husband who sits there and laughs at me while I'm wiggling away nearly in tears with the stinging itch! I do have cream on standby so need to get that slathered on! The pregnancy version seems to be so much worse than the bog standard, I've refused to wear tights for the last 6 months!

Jellybean100 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:22:31

You need to get the pessarys to properly clear you up, otherwise you might find it keeps re occurring. They are safe in pregnancy just not the oral tablet. Get DH to get for you though as pharmacists are shits when it comes to giving ANYTHING to pregnant women

JE1234 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:27:55

I was refused it by a pharmacist when thrush was driving me demented. I was about 30 weeks pregnant and presented to be hurt that he could suggest I was pregnant when I am just overweight. In my meagre defence, I was desperate and I did mouth sorry to him on my next visit when I was unmistakeably preggo! He smirked so I think I'm forgiven. My punishment has been recurring thrush throughout this pregnancy. I've found live yoghurt and reducing sugar and simple carbs has helped infinitely.

JE1234 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:28:30

*pretended

loobywoof Sat 02-Jan-16 18:34:13

Canesten products are not licensed for over the counter sale in pregnancy. When used in pregnancy they are still prescription only medications and sale in these circumstances is illegal. Don't shoot the pharmacist.

Paperblank Sat 02-Jan-16 19:17:05

Ah that makes sense looby

Brienne your DH needs a poke in the eye with a sharp stick - Thrush is so unpleasant (understatement of the century)

JustMeAndHim Sat 02-Jan-16 19:56:22

Coal tar soap, natural yogurt on a tampon and inserted if you can stand it and ice pack your foof.

Also flowers and cake because it really hurts!!

CharmingChampignon Sat 02-Jan-16 20:34:43

Does anyone know why coal tar? It's the first time I've heard of it!

JE1234 Sat 02-Jan-16 20:57:08

Be a little careful with coal tar. There is evidence linking coal tar with cancers. I certainly would avoid it during pregnancy. I have to use coal tar shampoo for severe eczema so I've had to read lots about it.

Mermaid36 Sat 02-Jan-16 20:58:35

I'm 10 weeks and have had thrush for 8 weeks already. I'm 2 pessaries and 6 tubes of cream down already (thank god for free prescriptions) and it has itched/hurt so much at times I've laid in bed crying. The pessaries give me about a weeks mild relief, then it comes back just as bad....

I'd second wet flannels (straight in a hot wash afterwards!) but other than that I'm at a total loss....

Paperblank Sun 03-Jan-16 11:48:53

Canesten Rocks smile

Morgan6653 Tue 05-Jan-16 20:49:52

Is canestan thrush cream save to use after I have lost my mucus plug I am 37 weeks pregnant

CharmingChampignon Tue 05-Jan-16 22:49:02

I would think the external stuff is fine - wouldn't insert a peasant though.

CharmingChampignon Tue 05-Jan-16 22:50:03

*pessary

A peasant is a different prospect...

CharmingChampignon Tue 05-Jan-16 22:50:12

*pessary

A peasant is a different prospect...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now