Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it OK to eat kimchi?

(7 Posts)
Moonflower78 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:56:46

I'm 10 weeks pregnant today and planning to go out for Korean food this Thursday. Is it safe for pregnant women to eat kimchi? I'm finding conflicting info on the internet...Thanks for any pointers!

rubyslippers Mon 08-Jun-15 13:57:58

Isn't it just a pickled cabbage dish?

May give you indigestion but can't think of any reason why you shouldn't eat it

Cherryblossomsinspring Mon 08-Jun-15 14:06:33

You can eat everything. But it is recommended you avoid too much vitamin A (liver products), and products that can in the rarest of rare circumstances lead to listeria (mould rind cheeses, unpasteurised products). Some people are hardcore and give up deli meats but even then prepacked supermarket ones are as safe as lettuce. Other than that, eat away.

Cherryblossomsinspring Mon 08-Jun-15 14:09:30

Disclaimer - yes I know some people also give up rare meat, runny eggs, shellfish, sushi, deli ham in a sandwich bar, smoked salmon but ... i personally assessed the risk and the risk of distress at not being able to enjoy my food was far higher.

lemon101 Mon 08-Jun-15 15:19:53

lol! I certainly hope so - I ate some kimchi yesterday. I feel fine wink

Hippymama1 Mon 08-Jun-15 15:37:17

I scoffed a load on Friday so I hope so! If it isn't on the NHS banned list, I eat it. And even then I have bent the NHS rules a little bit...

MyFriendsCallMeOh Mon 08-Jun-15 15:41:34

Most Koreans eat it more than once a day, you'll be fine (although when dh comes back from Korea, he always smells delightfully of kimchi for a few days, it's like alcohol coming out of your pores blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now