Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Bleeding in early pregnancy

(70 Posts)
typhoonsmum Sun 27-Aug-06 21:57:28

Hiya everyone.
I am five and a half weeks preg and have had slight spotting last week but over the weekend I have had a couple of VERY SMALL shows of blood. I have also developed Thrush over the weekend. Could the bleeding be linked to the thrush. Is it something I should worry about. The blood loss has been very small but still scary. Friends say if I was losing the baby the bleeding would be heavier and I'd have pain. I have no pain. Odd niggle but that is pregnancy isn't it.
Today breasts have felt fuller and a bit tender and I have had the first hint of nausea. Are these good signs.
I do have one DD (3yrs 8 months) but I didn't findout I was preg till I was 8 weeks with her and it was an uncomplicated pregnancy. No blood, no pain, no morning sickness, and it seems a lifetime ago now anyway.
Please put my mind at rest. Stress and worrying isn't going to help me.
If the news is bad just tell me. Don't sugar coat it please

crimewave Tue 26-May-09 20:09:28

hi
im 21 and have a 3 year old son i had a normal pregnancy and birth with him but have since had 2 abortions i am now 7 weeks pregnant with a baby i really want but last week i started bleedin lightly i went 2 the hospital were they gave me an internal and said my cervix was closed and that i had a urine infection which was probably what was causing the bleeding 2 days later i had the same again and went back to the hospital with the same results i had an ultrasound today and the baby was live and well but when i came home i was bleeding again only this time it was dark red and its still continuing now i am worried sick and finding it unbarable i feel like i am bein punished for having 2 abortions and am counting down the days untill im 12 weeks please does anyone have any reasuring stories or advice.

anonymous

crimewave you aren't being punished - presumably you acted in the best interests of yourself and your little family, and also perhaps your unborn, when you made those decisions. It's very easy to be self-critical and over-analyse things. Things happen for a reason, but those reasons are not mystical dark force reasons, they are grounded in practicality, e.g. the embryo is not viable or it is in such a muddle that it is a blessing in disguise. It doesn't make it any less distressing but at least it's a tangible thing. Please don't beat yourself up over what ifs. You are not being flogged by a higher force for your life choices, you have a healthy little baby growing inside you, and you've read the posts - a bit of bleeding, of any colour on the red palette, is entirely normal.

Petal38 Tue 25-Aug-09 18:27:13

Iam 8 weeks and have had same sort of thing - bright red bleed earlier today and then subsided to lighter pinkish bleed when wipe down below. Been to DR got to go to Early preg unit tomorrow for a scan. It is a worry and have also had mild cramping on one side of abdomen. Have a four year old and no probs with that pregnancy. Fingers crossed but you do think worst xxx

hoops997 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:31:05

Petal38, I am in exactly the same situation as you, I also have a scan booked for tomorrow morning.....lets hope it's good news for both of us

Babylee Sun 06-Sep-09 15:36:44

Hello Everyone,

I am 7 weeks and 1 day and for the past 3 days now i have had contant heavy bleeding, with sereve cramping, and cant go to the doctirs until tomorrow.
A week before i had woken up to light blood in the bed and went to have a scan and the doctor told me that baby was fine. I saw the little heart beat and was reassured. But this time the bleeding is a lot worse, but after the light bleed the doctor put me on some pills (progeffik 200) as she said there was a bloody "sac" above where the baby was and that the baby was lower down than it should be.
I have been inserting this pills religiously but could they been related to the bleeding??
Any advice would be great as i am worried sick and although its nice to read all the messages i cant help thinking something is really wrong.

Michelle x

Joolzzy Fri 25-Sep-09 18:05:09

Mine is a complicated one, had a period a few weeks ago friday to Sunday which was normal then finished. 5 days later I started bleeding again. I took a pregnancy test because I never bleed between periods but it was negative. I have since been bleeding continuously, sometimes heavily, sometimes lightly, sometimes brown, sometimes bright red. I decided yesterday to go the doctors and took a pregnancy test at work before I went as I knew that't be the first question they asked. The result was positive!! I then bought a clearblue one which indicates I am 4-5 weeks pregnant, so I have been bleeding continuously since before even the positive result appeared on the test, the Dr said I just have to wait & see what happens, it could go on to be a normal pregnancy, I could miscarry, can't think my pregnancy will be viable after so much bleeding though.

skg698 Wed 11-Nov-09 13:19:01

Joolzzy... are you still pregnant?

tatasiri Mon 20-Dec-10 18:55:50

hi
now i'm 13 week pregnant, i can see small amount of bleeding in my disharge, i had my scan also and she said heart beat is fine, but i dont know why , i'm bleeding, is there anything to worry more abt my situstion..

Laris Thu 13-Jan-11 18:08:31

Hi

I am just 3 weeks pregnant and started bleeding and cramping yesterday. Bright red blood enough to 1/2 fill a sanitary towel. The bleeding had got less by the time I went to bed however I passed a small sticky clot which I was told today might have been the embryo. Does anyone have experience of this type of thing at all? I can't have a scan for another week or so as it's too early.

emma1973 Tue 01-Mar-11 19:23:49

hi everyone, i,m 7 wks 5 days pregnant. I have been having a brown discharge for the lasst few days, it is getting darker and I now find it has really dark red/black stringy bits in it. I had scan yesterday and saw a heartbeat, the radiographer said she couldn't see any bleeding but only time will tell. I felt better but like I say now Ive noticed this stringy stuff am getting really worried, I have had 4 miscarriages in a row so worried anyway. Any ideas if this is getting serious?

Kaylynmama Wed 13-Apr-11 12:56:59

Hi everyone, I've been heavy bleeding with clot for 5 days (it just stopped last night). I just went to a scan to see if I have a miscarriage. But the nurse just told me the I still have a sac in my uterine. So I need to re-scan in 2 weeks, hope can see the heartbeat there!
Typhoonsmum, I think you better talk to your GP and arrange a scan for it.

daniellegx Sat 16-Apr-11 10:29:38

hi neveryone i found out on monday i was pregnant i am 5week + 6days. i started bleeding yesterday afternoon, it was like a normal period with mild cramps in the middle of my stomach, i went to my doctor + had an internal examination and my cervix was closed, i later found a blood clot in the toilet so went to a+e wher ther was a red discharge lump + the doctor told me it looked liked the lining of my womb. i am still bleeding not very heavily but the cramps have gone all together, should i be worryingg??

Jens71 Wed 11-May-11 22:02:50

Hi there can anyone give me any re-assurance? This is my 6th pregnancy, 1 termination, 3 miscarriages and one beautiful nearly 4 yr old boy!!! Just found out I'm pregnant about 7 weeks. Very very slight bleeding on Mon when wiping, nothing during the night, tues same the heavier bleeding more darkish coloured in the afternoon, nothing again during the night and today Wed just slight more redish/pinkish bleeding more when just wiping again? Slight niggling pains?! Got scan tomorrow but after going through 3 miscarriages before just can't help but think the worst? Although this time bleeding just doesn't seem the same?! Can anyone help and giver a little advise? X

Floydy2be Sun 22-May-11 13:26:50

I need some advice. My LMP was 3 april which makes me 7 weeks, on friday I had a really sudden heavy bleed of red blood with one massive clot (which covered the whole bottom of the toilet pan) the bleeding stopped after ten mins, i have had no pain/cramping. i went to A&E and was kept in overnight for observation. I have had no further bleeding just a very small amount of old blood when i wipe. I was scanned today(sunday) and they can see the gest. sac and the yolk which is intact however they say it does not look 7 weeks. i had a blood test on friday and my MPV was slightly raised, HCG was +ve on friday and today. I am worried and not sure what to make of it, it is my first pregnancy, and no-one has really committed to a diagnosis.
Any ideas??

ktsn Fri 10-Jun-11 19:19:53

Hi this time last year I was very worried, anxious and frightened and I promised myself that if everything went well, I would try to counter the majority of what I read online (bleeding in pregnancy = very bad).

I bled from week 7 to week 28, sometimes it was so bad I had to sit in the shower and once it suddenly went through a thick pad onto my jeans so I had to run home. I could write so much but the details are lengthy so I'll summarise. The healthcare professionals were not hopeful and cancelled the initial midwife appointment. It was great that they regularly checked me with monthly scans (11 in total!) but I usually felt a sense of doom about the process because they provided me with no information and mainly shrugged and emphasised the need for A&E if the bleeding worsened. The information improved when I asked to see a recommended consultant at 23 weeks. He told me that bleeding in pregnancy was unconmmon in general but common to him.

They had no explanation for the bleed (which was visible on the scans until about 22 weeks). The bleeding slowed down to a stop from 24-27 weeks and my special baby (and very healthy) girl arrived at week 37.

I'd say to anyone seeking advice about this to try to remember to breathe and not to panic yourself until you have the facts - so many times I thought it was over and happily I was wrong every time. The bleeding itself wasn't unmanageable but the fear was almost unbearable.

Much love to anyone experiencing this xxx

On a practical note, I'd recommend the extra thick and long always night sanitary pads! I think I increased their share price last year.

Elizabeth32 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:41:59

I bled at 5 weeks for more than a fortnight. It was not excessive bleeding, but it really worried me and i thought i was having a miscarriage. Dont worry ladies, it's normal and happens to lots of women apparently. I went on to give birth to healthy TWIN GIRLS. If there are no clots and cramps then it sounds like implantational bleeding which can last for a couple of weeks or more. It should stop, but may come back again later on in your pregnancy. Only speaking from my experience. Good luck.

munn Sat 05-Nov-11 12:25:29

I'm 6 wks preg, all was well till I had some personal issues and it affected me badly. The following day I began to bleed (brownish colour) n went straight to the ER. A scan was done n my baby's heartbeat was seen, I was told by the Dr all seemed fine. The next day I bled even more n it was a mixture of brown n bright red! I was so worried n I went for another scan, the baby's heartbeat was still there and normal, the Dr gave me an injection called progesterone together with some pills.

After returning home, I began to hv mild cramps n the bleeding doesn't stop. I'm extremely worried and hopefully things will be better if not I will hv to spend the nite in the hospital...

Miriam666 Thu 19-Jul-12 19:04:48

I have been getting heavy bleeding with clots for the last 3 days and slight cramping.Headed to EPAS and was given scan to tell me that everything was there except they could not find baby.Midwife gave me a date to go back next week for another scan says it is early so this is reason why baby may not be showing but I'm worried sick due to having ha a miscarriage last year and this blood appearing the same.I've been scouring sites and to be honest this has been making me worse,finding this site today has made me a little more positive as I'm on negative mode awaiting the worst so roll on next week for the next scan.

jej3 Sat 06-Oct-12 17:43:35

At 7 weeks pregnant I started bleeding lightly after having sex. I went to the emergency room at the hospital where they examined me and said my stomach was soft and my cervix was closed and all seemed ok. I was booked in for a vaginal scan 2 days later which revealed there was a pregnancy and all seemed ok but they did not find a heart beat. They said this was normal at an early stage and told me to come back in 2 weeks to have another scan. Since then the bleeding has got hevier and I have had stomach cramps and yesterday I felt something fall out of me. I was terrified to find some kind of blood clot 2 inches by 1 inch. It was quiet hard and I don't know if I have had a miscarriage? My blleding has got lighter since this came out of me. I was told by the hospital not to go back there unless the bleeding was really heavy, which it isn't, as they will not be able to do much until my scan. For some strange reason, since the bleeding began, I don't feel pregnant anymore and my breasts don't feel as sore. After reading some of the messages on here I've noticed a heart beat can be detected at an earlier stage than I'm at and so it is really worrying me. I have had 2 miscarriges before and have 1 healthy child. I'm not sure if my age could be a problem also as I'm 40? It is so hard being in limbo at the moment and having to wait another week for a scan is really taking it's toll on me and my partner. I really want this to be ok but it is so much easier to think the worst as if I get my hopes up, it will be so much harder to cope with if I do get bad news. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tiredmumno1 Sat 06-Oct-12 23:52:15

Hi jej

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I just wanted to say maybe if you start a thread yourself you may get more responses as this is a very old thread.

I don't really have any advice, but wanted to send you a hug x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now