Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding in early pregnancy

(70 Posts)
typhoonsmum Sun 27-Aug-06 21:57:28

Hiya everyone.
I am five and a half weeks preg and have had slight spotting last week but over the weekend I have had a couple of VERY SMALL shows of blood. I have also developed Thrush over the weekend. Could the bleeding be linked to the thrush. Is it something I should worry about. The blood loss has been very small but still scary. Friends say if I was losing the baby the bleeding would be heavier and I'd have pain. I have no pain. Odd niggle but that is pregnancy isn't it.
Today breasts have felt fuller and a bit tender and I have had the first hint of nausea. Are these good signs.
I do have one DD (3yrs 8 months) but I didn't findout I was preg till I was 8 weeks with her and it was an uncomplicated pregnancy. No blood, no pain, no morning sickness, and it seems a lifetime ago now anyway.
Please put my mind at rest. Stress and worrying isn't going to help me.
If the news is bad just tell me. Don't sugar coat it please

suexx Tue 18-Mar-08 20:30:42

Hi everyone,
Im eleven weeks pregnant with my second baby. i have suffered two misscarriages so i am very anxious this time. I have bled all through my pregnancy but weekly scans have confirmed that my baby is doing well .

SuziBhoy Thu 24-Jul-08 11:43:28

Hi all

I have just recently found out i am pregnant with my first, dates havent been decided yet as the test from the doc came bk inconclusive, but i know im pregnant! I have just started bleeding, but that also started out as a brown discharge, I have been having cramps but people have been telling me thats normal. Im freaking out here. hmm

mamaza Sun 27-Jul-08 11:51:42

Hi, my first pregnancy, first conversation on mumsnet. Bleeding lightly on and off since Monday, and today 'found' (don't ask!) brown, purple discharge. No cramping or pain however, and nurse says not to worry. I'm 10 weeks, and today my morning sickness seems to have disappeared?! What a rollercoaster...

imot Sat 09-Aug-08 19:25:51

Hi everyone. I too i'm pregnant . around 6 and 5 days and started bleeding on tuesday night. It has gotten heavier and i'm due another blood test in a couple of days. i 'm realy worried as this is my first pregancy what should i do or think? gyna is very vague..

usedtoreadbooks Sat 09-Aug-08 20:40:22

I got pregnant first time of trying, tested positive on the day I was due for my period. Had three bleeds during first trimester, getting progressively worse - the first one happened during the week, about week 5, and I was referred by my GP straight to hospital for a scan where they couldn't really see anything, so I went back a few days later and was fine. The second one, about week 8, was over a weekend so I referred myself into the same hospital dept 1st thing on Monday morning, where they told me I hadn't gone through the correct procdedure to be seen but scanned me anyway, and I was still fine. The third time I bled was a couple of days after a transatlantic flight, and on the cusp of my second trimester. I knew I was fine because my sense of smell and nausea changed so I flew back happy. Much of these bleeds were old blood, ie pink / brown mucus, although some were bright red fresh blood, and thin, unlike period blood.

It was only when I got back that my doctor said that it *is very common to have small bleeds when you would otherwise be having your monthly period*. Could this apply to you?

FWIW I also know someone who had a huge, heamorrage-type bleed at 18 (?) weeks, on her second pregnancy. And she was fine too.

So, please do not worry - difficult I know. But being tense will not help you, whereas getting lots of rest and TLC will. My advice is to have a bath and relax, try not to check on the bleeding every minute, although do keep an eye on any sudden changes in your discharge as information nfor GP / hospital. But I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with your pregnancy and don't hesitate to be bolshy to get the attention you want from your GP and hospital!

lovelace Sun 10-Aug-08 15:58:48

hi there can anyone advised as bit distreesed about it all. am currently six weeks and five days pregnant and on friday had a very heavy bleed so was sent then straight to EPU where they did a external and internal scan where they found the baby and a heartbeat so very positive and stoppped the heavy bright red bleeding pretty much straight after scan, am now getting brown bitty discharge when wipe and occasional cramping pains but very mild, has anyone else experienced this and can advise good or bad. dont see midwife till a week wednesday so appreciate any comments.

mibbes Mon 11-Aug-08 10:10:12

lovelace the brown blood is just old blood from the bleed you had and the mild cramps sound like normal stretching pains. I had a small bright red bleed at 6 weeks and have had mild cramps throughout - am now 23 weeks grin. Good luck xx

lovelace Mon 11-Aug-08 13:49:17

thanks mibbes that is reassuring to hear, had miscariage in april this year and keep worrying its going to happen again which i know does not help me!!! just worried cause it was so much blood like before. xx

madcow70 Mon 11-Aug-08 19:22:45

hi iam 5 or 6 weeks pregnant been having bleeding light brown been to hospital scan me saw sac told me to come back in a weeks time had my blood done 3 times now 1st was 5.000 on thursday by saturday it had risen to 7800 today (monday) its now 8880 really worried that I am losing baby also I have really bad morning sickness is this a good sign still been sick?

melissat Sun 17-Aug-08 14:21:53

hi there, ive recently found out that im pregnant with my 2nd child, im only 4 weeks 5 days and last night i had some light spotting, then nothing all night and this morning some bleeding, lighter than a period but i needed a sanitary towel, it hasnt got any heavier but i am still bleeding. I havnt been in pain but have had slight cramps and lower back pain, which ive had for a couple of weeks. I called my gp who advised to rest and wait it out (easier said than done!). I didnt have any bleeding with my first child and am really worried.
x

Hopetobemum Tue 07-Oct-08 21:47:19

Hi everyone. Reading through all the messages and thanking to all posts for their experiences. Can you please let me know if you have experienced similar symptoms to mine? I am 7+5 days pregnant and have been spotting and bleeding very dark blood every day for the past two weeks. Today was heavier than ever before and I am going mad. It was enough for a small pantyliner and seemed to only happen in the morning. I have seen a consultant and ultrasound was fine last Wednesday, I am due for another ultrasound next Friday. My consultant is not very communicative and apart from confirming a viable pregnancy didn't not comment on the bleeding. I have miscarried after first IVF at 4 weeks last October and then had a twin IVF pregnancy with no problmes until miscarrying at 22+5 weeks in June due to, probably, incompetent cervix. Managed to fall naturally now but this bleeding is really worrying me.
I read a lot that the bleeding in early pregnancy is common but I can't see anywhere that some of you experience continual lighter or heavier bleeding. Anyone can help please?
Also, should I be in bed or just carry on as normal?
Will be greatful for all replies!

CS7 Wed 08-Oct-08 14:33:48

Hi All,

Could it be that the bleed is not coming from inside but from the sensitive skin of the fanjo which apparently can get painlessly inflamed when you are pg? I asked because I kept getting dark brown discharge and sometimes pink and they kept doing emergency scans and little wriggler is fine. I then twigged after a while that its always when i wipe hard or have done a brisk walk that the discharge appears. I then realised it was actually from fanjo surface! But that coupled with 1st trimester mild cramps had me climbing the walls.

I hope for you ladies this is the same too.

Hopetobemum Fri 10-Oct-08 11:40:17

Hi CS7, thanks for your reply. That's what I thought might be the case, perhaps from the cervix or something. But after seeing the consultant (who confirmed that the little mite is fine. Thank god!) he said that the bleeding I am experiencing is coming from the lining of the womb, where the sac is still quite small to fill in the whole womb and so there is space for the lining to be leaving the womb. It confuses me slightly as I though you develop this plug in your cervix as soon as you are pregnant and nothing can go in or out but he didn't seem alarmed about this so I just need to trust him. I have been working from home for the past three days and the bleeding has almost stopped so I shall see what happens on Monday when I am planning to go back to London. Perhaps even the slow walk to and from the station aggrivates the womb lining? Anyway, just thought I should share this outcome in case someone will come here looking for some answers just like I did.

RiaRio Fri 10-Oct-08 14:04:49

hi im 8 weeks pregnant with my first and am still quite young 22 i am in need of a little reasurance as i have very very light brownish discharge no cramping is this any thing to panic about??

brettgirl2 Fri 10-Oct-08 19:59:46

I think you should get it checked out. It is impossible really to say, although the fact that you don't have cramping is probably good. I bled from 5 1/2 to 10 weeks with cramping alongside. I'm now 13+5, so hopefully everything will now be OK.

Lulee Mon 13-Oct-08 12:23:56

Hi,

I have been bleeding since wk 3 of my pregnancy - always brown in colour and too light to be a period - more like the blood i usualy get before my period for a few days - except i am still bleeding and am now 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant.

I ahve a scan a wk ago that showed yolk sac, fetal pole and heartbeat, worrying tho the lady said she also could see where the blled was coming from and showed me a dark area on the scan right below the baby - nothing further was really explained and i have to go back in another wk for a second scan.

It has been a wk since that scan and i am going out of mind with worry - my boobs feel tender and swollen and whilst i have not been sick - i have nausea that makes me want to eat eat eat!! Any1 in the same boat or been thru this...any explanations for why i have a bleed underneath my baby?

I have miscarried X2 before but never got to a scan before or got to this stage so feeling very confused - bleeding isn't the same asmiscarriage and whilst i keep getting lower back ache i have not had any abdominal cramping yet.

Hoping someone can shed some light maybe?

Thanks

Lu

Hopetobemum Thu 16-Oct-08 18:12:49

Hi All

I don't really have answers to your questions but thought I will share another episode that happened to me today to hopefully put your mind at rest.
Following my scan last week where the bleeding was explained and the heartbeat was fine I went onto to completely clear few days, no spotting whatsoever. However, I had a little cramp all day yesterday and knowing that today would be my period day (I am 8+1 today)I was getting a bit concerned. Before going to sleep, and all night really, I started experiencing contractions like feelings in my tummy and didn't sleep properly all night. In the morning there was this big bleed, just like a proper period start. The contractions stopped but the cramp persisted. It was mainly dark brown blood (that was good) but there was a little bit of fresh blood (really bad) as well. I thought that was it but wanted to know for sure so went to A&E.
They didn't want to do a scan but we insisted and apparently "we were lucky as the EPDU (early pregnancy diagnostics unit) wasn't busy so they could see us". We saw the heartbeat and the nurse couldn't see any bleeding at all. She said all is absolutely fine.
I am still bleeding a bit, but it is only dark brown blood now. Still have the little cramp but I have my hope back.
Everyone is different but hopefully this will give you some reassurance about your bleeding. The nurse today couldn't explain what has happened. The only thing she said we can do is to have regular monitoring and hope for the best.

FlowerBearMummy Fri 17-Oct-08 07:25:18

Hi All,

I have the same issue here.
I have dark brown discharge when 6W+5D night.
I went to O&G the next day, doctor said it would be some causes lead to this and done a external scan.
Doctor said nothing to worry about if it is to be mc, nothing can be done also.

The discharge has been last for 5 days. The discharge from 13/10/08 and today the dicharge continue to abit light red.

It is really worry me but what I can do is just hope for the best and dont think silly.

After reading the message posted here, it make me feel better as not just me alone facing this. Thanks.

Lulee Wed 22-Oct-08 19:08:24

Hi,

Just to update u all...I had my scan monday and baby is fine and now dating 8 wks and 6 days, my bleed is virtually non existenat and the scan and the registrar expects my bleeding to stop vvery soon as baby is growing well with big sterong heartbeat and the bleed nearly gone - on my notes it says the bleed was a retrochorional (placental) bleed, i dont have to go back now til my 12 wk routine scan, had a booking in aptmt with the midwife today and am now very hopeful that all will be well with bubs - the registrar said 97% chance of baby making it now! Yay xx

RiaRio Tue 28-Oct-08 13:03:10

hey people thought i would update you now im n the mend as such....unfortunately my light bleeding which was very dark brown turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy so i would strongly advise anyone with concerns to get it checked asap i had no other symptoms and felt fine my head was just telling me to get it checked!!
I am taking each day as it comes as im dealing with losing my baby and one of my tubes as i was much further along than expected (11 weeks)
sorry to put a downer on the room just unfortunately i was one of the unlucky ones and i never thought i would be.
when im better i hope to try again so will be in need of alot of baby dust
best wishes to you all.xxxx

Aspi Tue 28-Oct-08 15:15:09

hi, I'm 6 weeks pregnant with 2nd bb. had light, brown discharge/bleeding this morning; not much though, mainly only on wiping. I have slight abdominal cramps (like the start of a period feeling); trying to stay positive, but is strange as didn't have any of this with dd - didn't find out til I was 9 weeks that time.
It's good to read other people suffer with it and it's not always the worst scenario.

leigh5841 Wed 15-Apr-09 11:25:01

hi, i am currently 8 weeks pregnant with my second child, but this is my 5th pregnancy as i have misscarried before, i finally had my son in october 2007 he is my world and i love him to bits, however i found out i was pregnant about 6 weeks ago, i started bleeding when i should have been 6 weeks gone, this was followed by pain on one side and going hot and cold, i was admitted to hospital and got told because of my history this was probably another misscarriage, i had an internal scan at 6 weeks and they couldnt see anything but the gestation sac had formed. they told me to go back in 18 days because of the bank holiday, in the mean time i continued to bleed heavily red blood not brown as before and clot, i was convinced i had misscarried again. how could there possibly be a baby growing normally in me when i was bleeding this much, i went for my scan yesterday and i was totally expecting the outcome that i had misscarried and had to have another D N C opperation what i was dreading, i went in the room for my scan and the woman said to me would you like to see your baby? i broke down and cried because alough i took some comfort from the messages on here i was not expecting that, i watched my baby and saw the heart beat and i couldnt have been happier, i am posting this message because even though like i said i took some comfort from this site but i diddnt believe my baby would be ok, but thank god it is so not all bleeding in pregnancy is bad. hope everyone has a healthy pregnancy x

kayls123 Sat 16-May-09 11:48:27

i am 6 weeks pregnant and just started with brown discharge 4 days ago which has now led to fresh red blood but only when i go to the loo. my doctor has put me on antibitics incase its a water infection but im not so sure.This is my seventh pregnancy but i only have 2 children. i have lost 3 nad 1 ectopic but gone on to have children after. The epu wont scan me until friday which is 7 days away and i am worrying like mad. has anyone ever had heavy bleeding and gone on to be ok?

bethoo Mon 18-May-09 09:59:16

i have the same dilemma
my period was late and os i took a test which was negative, when i finally did come on i bled for 3 weeks (still a bit when i wipe after the loo) nad i took a test this wekeend as wa feeling sicky and it is positive so have no idea how far gone i am or if i am even still pregnant!

bethoo Mon 18-May-09 10:00:24

wiht my first son i bled continuosuly from 6 - 16 weeks, really heavy and it turned out i had a heamorraghe in my uterus os supsect the same again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now