Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

My belly is clicking!

(26 Posts)
DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 11:41:25

30+2 and my belly is making a noise like when you crack a knuckle. Had a search on Google and it seems like I'm not the only one. Anyone have any idea what this is?

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 23-Sep-13 15:34:31

Not sure what causes it but mine's started doing the same in the last week or so (35 weeks here). It's surprisingly loud!

intouch2 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:35:21

No clue, does it happen consistently?

BummyMummy77 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:43:16

Hiccups?

That's what I figured it is.

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 23-Sep-13 16:01:54

Don't think it's hiccups - it's occasional not constant/regular, and connected to the baby's movement. It sounds a bit like a 'pop' (or knuckle cracking as DaleyBumpsaid)

BummyMummy77 Mon 23-Sep-13 16:03:26

Hmm. That's odd.

Eaten Rice Kripsies? :D

DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 16:58:36

It's just occasionally when he moves his feet, it's like he's cracking his ankles or something! It's actually really loud hmm

DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 16:59:25

Definitely not hiccups, they feel totally different :p

Mogz Mon 23-Sep-13 17:55:42

I think someone told me a while ago they thought it was little pockets of air being disturbed by baby moving. No idea if that's right though!

DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 18:04:10

That's interesting smile

CrispyFB Mon 23-Sep-13 18:31:15

All of mine have done it in the third trimester! I have been told bubbles by midwives, but I wonder where the air comes from. To me it sounds like joints cracking. Which they don't when they're out. Well, not for a few decades!

Newmum0113 Mon 23-Sep-13 18:33:03

I really have noticed this in the last two weeks 36+4 today)

I thought I was imagining it. It sounds like knuckles clicking - I also thought it sounded like baby kicking me had made a noise on the outside IYSWIM ?!??

At least I'm not completely nuts (yet!)

smile

DaleyBump Mon 23-Sep-13 18:34:56

I wondered if it was a hereditary thing, all my joints crack constantly (I'm 18) but I suppose not grin

AhoyAhoy Mon 23-Sep-13 18:55:40

Weird. 34+6 and been noticing this for about a week. Thought I was imagining it.

I love logging onto the pregnancy talk- at every stage of my pregnancy there seems to always be someone with the latest bizarre symptom, and same worries that I am experiencing at the time. Very reassuring.

xxleannejxx Tue 24-Sep-13 12:45:45

I HAD that with my first (15 years ago!) and I still have no idea what is was - even the midwives didn't know - I thought I was going mad!

orangepudding Tue 24-Sep-13 12:48:04

I had that with my DS, he had clicky hips when he was born and I wonder if that was the sensation I was feeling.

ladymalfoy Tue 24-Sep-13 22:19:46

Spider nest? Remember that urban myth about a clicking plant and it was a tarantula nest?

Midwifeandmum Tue 24-Sep-13 22:38:59

Theres no evidence to prove anything but the most plausible explanation is the baby's bones cracking when they move. Just like when we move after sitting for a while.... babies are the same. Lol funny sound tho xxx

BouncingBelly Wed 25-Sep-13 21:45:30

Me too! I'm 32 wks and have been hearing this for weeks! Mine sounds like fingernails being clicked together. I asked my friend who's a midwife who had never heard of it. She confirmed it couldn't be water as the sac is filled to the brim as it were. I personally think its bones clicking as I always hear it when the baby hasn't moved for a while then does a big move.
Hubby heard it the other day and was baffled!

Fascinating pregnancy hey!

mumtobealloveragain Wed 25-Sep-13 22:37:28

I have the "clicking" too. It's definitely not hiccups. I thought only I could hear it and that I may be imagining it.. then DP heard it too!

mumtobealloveragain Wed 25-Sep-13 22:39:10

I'm thinking it's more of a "clicky pop" than clicking. I can "feel" it too, not just hear it. I worry I will hear a clicky pop and my waters will break! smile

LadyMedea Thu 26-Sep-13 15:48:46

Argh! Mine's just done it for the first time, proper 'pop' noise and feel.

DaleyBump Thu 26-Sep-13 16:38:44

So glad it's not just me! grin

2Labradors Thu 26-Sep-13 19:10:14

Me too, I'm 31 weeks, it's a strange thing to explain to someone else. I wondered if it was me, and because it's my 3rd I was all clicky inside cos everything's loose.

Jo1984uk Thu 26-Sep-13 19:50:46

I had that too and after my dd was born I asked the doctor to check her hips and one was clicky. Might just be coincidence though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now