Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Revolution! Pregnant ladies get yourself some probiotics.

(15 Posts)
ElBombero Thu 04-Jul-13 14:56:51

At 31 weeks for the most part of my pregnancy I have suffered with indigestion (I could eat a meal and it would literally 'repeat' on me for up to 8 hours yuk), horrific heartburn (I couldn't eat a meal without it being taken with a pint a milk), bloatedness, generally unsettled tum and the worst constipation ever. So following a recommendation on here i bought some holland and Barrett probiotics and WOW since day 2, now on day 4 every single symptom I was suffering with has been eliminated. I feel like a new, lighter, happier woman gringrin

FoofFighter Thu 04-Jul-13 15:30:50

Will direct my heartburn suffering friends this way smile

While I have people's attention I will also recommend magnesium supplements for those suffering with leg cramps and/or restless legs syndrome.

Rosenip Thu 04-Jul-13 15:42:56

ElBombero - I also heard about this from a friend, and now that I know you can get them from H&B I will be straight there!

Thanks!!

Sparkeleigh Thu 04-Jul-13 16:33:45

Oh wow, if this works for me I'll be your slave forever! Is this the stuff you mean?
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872

ElBombero Thu 04-Jul-13 17:02:42

After researching carefully and checking about dosages and pregnancy (all ok) I went for the "Ultra Maximum Probiotic Acidophilus capsules" they are the ones which have 20 billion active cultures, whilst the other cheaper ones only gave 3. Hope this link works http://m.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3694&prodid=4219
if not the above is exactly as it appears on their website. Currently buy on get one half price xxx

workingtitle Thu 04-Jul-13 17:49:15

Not sure if it was me that recommended them but I totally agree--really good. I have been using the H&B ones since week 10. No heartburn and no piles yet (25 wks). Also, some evidence about probiotics helping prevent some allergies/eczema in babies.

Futterby Thu 04-Jul-13 18:04:14

Watching this topic just in case I need it in ten weeks time! smile

Kelly1814 Thu 04-Jul-13 18:53:16

This also kept my thrush at bay for at least 8 weeks....

ElBombero Thu 04-Jul-13 21:44:29

It was workingtitle. Thanks gringringrin

embaker112 Thu 04-Jul-13 23:26:16

I really want to try this as heard about so many benefits, but everywhere I look online says to check with doctor/midwife first? I don't know whether to just go ahead now as I don't have another appointment for 2 weeks!

ElBombero Fri 05-Jul-13 04:37:43

Give them a ring wink all appears safe though when I've read around.

ElBombero Fri 05-Jul-13 04:37:43

Give them a ring wink all appears safe though when I've read around.

Sparkeleigh Fri 05-Jul-13 09:45:58

Thanks elBombero!

wispa31 Fri 05-Jul-13 11:50:42

ooh good girls!! probiotics FTW!! smile i use the pre natal ones by biocare, 1 a day. defo needed prego or not.

foof - ditto the magnesium, make sure its magnesium citrate, not mag oxide, tho the oxide is good if constipated, you will literally shit yourself lol. mag will keep cramps/restless legs at bay and have you in the land of nod if you take it at bedtime. doc confirmed its def ok to take in pg, i have 200mg in my pre natal vits then i take 400mg before bedtime.
might seem like a very high dose but you have to remember our darling little parasites are taking everything first lol. magnesium is also good for keeping neurotransmitters right - they affect your moods if out of balance.

I'm newly pregnant, and have started remembering my less favourable symptoms! Heartburn was one. I'll definitely give this a go, it made me miserable, thankyou thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now