Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Having a drink or two on holiday?

(16 Posts)
Excited85 Mon 20-May-13 16:55:23

I'm wondering what others would do... Dh and I booked a very very nice holiday last year to make the most of being child free, and even though we're now expecting are still going for some luxury relaxation before the chaos commences. I'll be 21/22 weeks, and haven't had a single sip of alcohol since getting pregnant. At home I seem to be managing ok though both dh and I love good food and good wine.
However, it is also my birthday whilst I'm away and I'm wondering whether to just enjoy a nice glass of wine with my dinner a couple of nights whilst per there. It seems a shame when I've spent so much on the hol to feel like im missing out - what would you do?!! Obviously I wouldn't do it if it would cause harm but have had friends that drank occasionally and they all think it fine....

LittleBearPad Mon 20-May-13 17:00:48

It will be fine to have the odd glass of wine IMHO anyway.

My DH and I did something similar (last hold free holiday etc). I had a glass of champagne and a glass of wine or so during the course of the week and thoroughly enjoyed them. I didn't completely give up alcohol anyway and had half a glass etc from time to time. far less than the many glasses I had on the holiday just before finding out I was pg.

LittleBearPad Mon 20-May-13 17:01:32

Hold free?? confused

Child free!

drcharliegirl Mon 20-May-13 17:10:05

First trimester is the biggest risk. By 21/22 weeks you should be fine to have one or two glasses a week by most people's reckoning. But no one can tell you it's 100% safe so the government advice is still abstain totally.

FWIW I've been having 2 glasses/week since about 20 weeks.

Keeps me sane ;)

Excited85 Mon 20-May-13 17:27:53

Thanks ladies! I was thinking of just having a nice glass on my birthday and maybe one other night (dh won't have any problem in finishing off the rest of the bottle!) but was not 100% sure. Glad there's others that would probably do the same!

Teaandflapjacks Mon 20-May-13 17:30:59

TBH I have abstained totally since getting BFP at 3 weeks pregnant - obviously i had drunken a skin-full before getting that (I think this aided getting pg in first place - had been trying for a over year and decided to stop trying and have a boozy december!). I spoke at length with my Gyn. about drinking - she said there really is no way of knowing for sure it does not have a risk - partic with how the brain develops, and we know so little about this at the moment (how the neuro pathways map together etc - how does mental health link to this, or things like dyslexia). She is a fertility expert and development expert in germany (where I live) so I have trusted her opinion on it, likewise with just stopping smoking straight away. It HAS been proven recently that IQ based on standard tests is not impacted by the age of 7 - the latest UK survey of 12,000 people I think. I do not know how the survey was conducted though.

The oft quoted 2012 dutch survey had a huge flaw - in that 49% of people asked did not respond - 51% did (or the other way round can't remember) - this effectively could massively skew the data - what if the half invited to reply did not based on issues? That said I would have a thought a couple of glasses (perhaps as spritzers - larger and last a bit longer?) you'd be fine with. Basically I am a bit 'sky falling down' with this one - I had a miscarriage, and it took some doing getting pregnant - I do tuck in sometimes to alcohol free beer though and really enjoy them. I must be honest - i do miss the odd glass of vino, but I am now 29 weeks and just think - 11 more weeks and I'll have a big fat glass of the good stuff. My problem is I would want a nice large glass too, which really does go against all advice. I would say weigh up what you think in your head, and then whatever you reckon just enjoy your hols and don't worry. I do think overly stressing can also be harmful - indeed maybe more harmful, for me the 'no alcohol' matra is so stuck in my head, but I think it is a hugely personal decision and your right to make wine

Smerlin Mon 20-May-13 17:31:33

Go for it- I drank loads in first two months as had no idea I was pg as was still bleeding regularly.

Felt so awful about it but touch wood everything seems ok. I'm sure 2-3 glasses would be no problem at all in comparison.

Smerlin Mon 20-May-13 17:32:54

2-3 glasses during the hol I mean- not all at once!

Excited85 Mon 20-May-13 17:43:01

Haha smerlin I figured that was what you meant!
Teaandflapjacks that is really interesting, thank you for taking the time to post that. It took us 18 months to get pg (had written it off really hebce the holiday plans!)so I have been as careful as I can be otherwise. I am going to see how I go and obvs if I'm happy to leave it (as I have been at home) then happy days, but if I crack and have a small glass over our romantic birthday meal then I'll hopefully not feel too guilty about it.

Lj8893 Mon 20-May-13 17:44:45

I personally wouldn't but then I'm a not a huge drinker anyway, more of a social "binge" drinker so one glass just doesn't seem worth it to me if that makes sense?!

However I had 2 boozy nights before i discovered I was 5 weeks pregnant and all seems ok!!

I think you will be fine to have 2 or 3 glasses on your holiday, as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Snowflakepie Mon 20-May-13 18:00:53

If you are happy to have just the one and leave it there, then go for it. You will enjoy it all the more. If you suspect one might lead to another, best not. It depends on your character really.

I drank one small glass of white each Friday evening during my second trimester with DD, as my job was so completely horrendous that it was my treat and kept me sane. Once I started mat leave I didn't need it so didn't bother, just had a glass on my birthday (35 weeks) and at Christmas (38 weeks). DD is now 3.5 and bright as you like, off the charts at her last preschool assessment.

In this pg, now I only work weekends, I've only had the odd glass on occasions when we have had guests or been staying with family. It just doesn't bother me to not have it so I've been saving the money I would have spent for a lovely new wardrobe after baby arrives. DH needed to cut down anyway so it's been good for us both. We had a weekend away when I was 26 weeks and I enjoyed my glass of champers but was also happy to not be hungover and spoil the weekend! If I had a lovely holiday booked I would certainly enjoy a few glasses over the week.

And yes, I too had serious binges over the times that I conceived both DC blush I maintain that is how they happened. Not something to be terribly proud of but DD has certainly not suffered and at 36 weeks, DC2 seems to be cooking nicely. Don't go bonkers and your baby will be fine. Good luck!

Christelle2207 Mon 20-May-13 19:33:51

I held off for first trimester but since then have had 2-3 glasses a week and enjoyed them. Had long conversation with my aunt who is a mw about this. She reckons I'm being very sensible! That said I drink very little anyway so am not worried about one leading to another.
Have a lovely holiday.

WentOnABearHunt Mon 20-May-13 19:41:18

My OH and I have recently returned from holiday - I enjoyed a very yummy glass of fizzy wine while away!

badguider Mon 20-May-13 19:46:36

I like red wine with food so when we've been out at a nice restaurant i've had about a third of a glass just with my main course and that's been fine for me. I find the taste is very intense since i've been pg and sipping this much of a strong tasting wine is enough anyway.

[I also had a half glass of champagne at a wedding but doubt that even added up to a unit as was half a small flute for the toasts].

Teaandflapjacks Mon 20-May-13 19:49:16

I think all the whittling and worrying about this stuff is probably worse, my Mum thinks these days there is too much for us to worry about with having kids. I reckon if I was in your boat i would be having a good think about it - my bday falls after I have had her, and am looking forward to scoffing a trough of the stuff! blush I am lucky in that his in doors gamely switched to beer mostly (!) so that I have an alcohol free one with him at home etc. Also I have had terrible 'morning' sickness, and the smell of wine flips my stomach most times, not always - the idea of it is nice, but the smell - sometimes not good, so it is kind of an easy choice to make really for me. You enjoy yourself on holiday - hope you have a wonderful time!! Not a bit jealous...! grin

Teaandflapjacks Mon 20-May-13 19:51:45

p.s. I should also add I think the internet and all this googling sets us all up to over worry - so just relax and do what you feel is right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now