Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Very painful nipples making me feel sick - any advice?

(9 Posts)
Laquila Thu 11-Apr-13 19:25:19

Hi all, I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have had very little nausea. My main symptom was very tender boobs early on, which has now turned into very very sore nipples approx once per day - so sore that they actually make me feel sick for the approx 15 minutes that they hurt. After that they seem to wear off and the nausea goes away too.

Does anyone have any experience of nipple-related nausea/ any advice?!

N.B. I'm using a gentle cream on them but to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference to the speed with which they stop hurting whether I use it or not.

Many thanks in advance.

Bunnylion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:05:09

I have raynauds syndrome and since 12 weeks of pregnancy I get agonising pain in my nipples and boobs once or twice a day. It has brought me to tears before and mades me feel sick.

My MW said there's not much I can do except keep warm and avoid cold drafts. Not sure if you have the same thing but maybe speak to your MW about it incase it's that or possibly an infection.

As for the nausea, I still occasionally take the medication I have left over from the morning sickness when it comes.

Laquila Thu 11-Apr-13 20:21:44

Thanks Bunnylion - to be honest I hadn't even considered it could be a separate condition, as it were - just thought it was a side-effect of pregnancy. I think it may be related to being cold (certainly initial pain feels like when you've been outside in not enough clothes and have nipples like bullets) but I'm on hols in the sunshine at the mo and am even getting it here. Chin up and I hope yours eases soon smile

Bunnylion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:36:04

If you think it's temperature related then it may well be raynauds.

I can get an attack from the slightest change in temperature, like walking from carpet on to cold flooring barefoot, even if I don't feel particularly cold. Establishing breast feeding can apparently be difficult with raynauds so I'm so glad I'm giving birth in August.

Cuddling a hot water-bottle makes it disappear quite quickly.

Hope it's not affecting your holiday too much!

BabyHMummy Thu 11-Apr-13 21:03:15

Sounds daft but have you tried a bigger bra? I had this early on and found that mybbra was a little tight and rubbing. Moving my boobs in it helped until could buy a new one

HubbaHubbaHubbaInHoobLand Thu 11-Apr-13 21:07:30

God i remember that pain very well during my pregnancy! Agony. Sorry no advice other than i used to hug the radiator!! It always used to be the cold that would start them off! So sorry you are going through this it truly does hurt!!

rachywhite83 Fri 12-Apr-13 03:14:29

I have been in agony since very early on in the pregnancy. I'm now 35+5 and still getting the pain if I'm outside. I find breast pads help give abit of warmth and softness against your bra. also the little hand warmers you can get. Anything is worth a try with pain like that x

fruitandbarley Fri 12-Apr-13 22:57:22

I've been putting folded tissue in my bra as extra insulation and to stop any rubbing, seems to have worked and the one time I left it out it happened again.

Laquila Sat 13-Apr-13 17:06:27

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions and empathy! Hugging the radiator - I tried that last night and I think it helped a bit...will also keep a hot water bottle on hand at home as soon as I feel my body temp start to drop...

BabyHMummy - it's not daft, and initially I thought this would do the trick (as I certainly needed some bigger bras about 7 weeks in) but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. The one I'm wearing now is too big for me, to be honest, and yet I still ended up clutching my breasts in Sainsburys today in the middle of my big shop! Classy...(I wasn't in the frozen food aisle but it was a bit chilly - I definitely think temp is a factor)

I looked at the Lansinoh Lanolin cream in Sainsbo's today but wasn't sure whether it would do anything more than the Body Shop Burriti Baby stuff I've been using (just moisturiser - no lanolin) - has anyone tried it?

Thanks again ladies - all advice/solidarity much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now