Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm scared, 1 in 10 Chance of my baby having Downs Syndrome, CVS appointment tomorrow...

(37 Posts)
RosaBambina Wed 20-Mar-13 19:36:57

Hi Ladies,

I'm 22 and having my first baby, but after a combined screening at 13 weeks, have been put in the "high risk" category, with my little one having a 1 in 10 chance of Downs Syndrome.

I'm now 14 weeks. I have an appointment for a CVS test tomorrow, but am seriously scared about miscarrying afterwards, or finding out that the baby might have something wrong, or be in for a difficult life.

Its all really shocking as I am only 22 so the risk SHOULD be low, wasn't at all expecting this. Any advice for a very worried, scared mummy? xxx

Kmilligan90 Mon 12-Aug-13 20:22:29

Hello ladies,

My midwife called us a day early today and gave us the good news! Baby is clear of all 3 chromosome disorders.
So relieved!!

I wish everyone luck who who has to have cvs or amnio tests and also with the rest of your pregnancies.

Take care!

Katie x

Writerwannabe83 Sun 11-Aug-13 12:25:20

Best of luck with your results Katie x

Kmilligan90 Sun 11-Aug-13 12:20:28

Hello ladies,
Thank you for your replies.
Unfortunately I went for the cvs and the placenta was in an awkward position so wasn't going to be easy to do. They attempted it anyways but I couldn't take the pain.. They were going to have to go through my bladder as well! Typical for me I thought!
I could chose to go back a week later and try again or wait 2 weeks and have the amniocentesis test at my local hospital.
I decided this would be the easier option causing less stress and I'd been told it would be a smaller needle and easier procedure.
So I had the amnio test 3 days ago on Thursday and am now at home waiting anxiously for the results to be given to us on Tuesday.
The wait of not knowing is making me so nauseous but in 2 days we'll know the answer!
Hope everything is going well with everyone else :-)
Thanks,
Katie :-)

Roshbegosh Fri 26-Jul-13 08:38:07

katie how did it go? Hope you are ok x

RosaBambina Fri 26-Jul-13 08:30:53

Hey Katie,

Hope the CVS went ok? I really did feel so much better after getting it done. Hope your results are already there or they are coming soon, waiting is horrible!

Thanks everyone else for your continued support, such a nice group of ladies, hope everyone is feeling as encouraged by these positive comments as I am.

oh, and I hope everyone is surviving in this heatwave....

xxx

Kmilligan90 Fri 19-Jul-13 08:35:46

Hi I am also 22 and have a risk of 1:15 for the baby having Down syndrome. I am going to have the cvs test on Monday. I'm not too worried about that as its going to give us definite answers and also the risk of miscarriage is lower than the risk for downs in my case.
I've seen loads of stories about people's odds being high and everything being fine. Never see anything about the 1 person who would have been out of the 15 who got the unlucky results?
I'm just worried that its going to be my bad luck that I'm the 1 out of 15 who will have the baby with downs :-(
Does anyone know if there's any way they can give you the results on the day? I'll be going to Adenbrooks in Cambridge for my cvs test.
I just wish they told you your risk in the percentage rather than the fraction! Would definitely make us worry less I'm sure.
Thanks,
Katie

Varunya Sun 02-Jun-13 09:18:25

Hi Rosabambina

Fantastic results, I'm so happy for you. You can rest well now.

I'm 44. I had result of 1:2 on my first scan at 12 weeks in NHS, the odd freaked me out, then I paid for second scan privately at Fetal
Medicine Centre in Harley street, West London and the result is 1:3. The second result make me have a little hope, but to be sure I paid for " Harmony blood test ". The test is non-invasive DNA test. It's meant to be 99% accurate for detect baby with DS. Apparently the labs in USA can detect baby with DS from the mother's blood. No risk on miscarriage. I'm waiting for the result, they said within 2 weeks.

The DNA test might be available in NHS around 2015.

I'm hoping to have good news like yours.

Best of happiness for the rest of your pregnancy.

Big hugs.

CareerGirl01 Sat 04-May-13 18:42:51

So pleased for you OP. We were given 1:127 chance of DS baby - had CVS at 14 weeks. All was okay. X

Shellywelly1973 Sat 04-May-13 17:20:29

Lovely news! Its great everything has turned out well.

Alexandra6 Sat 04-May-13 17:15:34

Ah lovely! Massive congrats, what a relief! This thread brought tears to my eyes, I blame the hormones! Have my 12 week scan in a week and feeling nervous. Glad your story ended well smile

Christelle2207 Sat 04-May-13 14:08:42

Brilliant news!!!! hopefully you can enjoy with enjoying your pregnancy now.

RosaBambina Sat 04-May-13 11:18:04

Thanks everyone, its a fair few weeks on now and everything was fine, for a week afterwards my torso was really saw and crampy but got the results back and my baby is perfectly fine, they did a full Karyotype testing too as they thought they better check everything, but nothings come up.

Oh, and I found out shes a GIRL!
happy happy!!

xxx

Coconutty Fri 22-Mar-13 06:24:32

Hope you're feeling okay today, rose

musicmaiden Thu 21-Mar-13 13:29:57

My DS was 1:13 due to a massive NT measurement so I had the CVS at 14 weeks.
He is chromosomally normal too, FWIW. I found positive stories on mumsnet about this heartening to read during my wait for results, so I hope you do too.
The whole thing is frightening and really kills the excitement for a bit, but yes, consider your 90% odds of all being well, too, and you will know for certain thanks to the test. Really look after yourself over the next couple of days.
Fingers crossed all is well - best of luck.

EwokStorageUnit Thu 21-Mar-13 13:13:39

Hi Rosa Bambina,

I hope that you feel better soon. I had similar blood results and opted for a CVS, which wasn't available on the NHS in my area so travelled to London.

I took my mum with me and I stayed with her for the evening and the majority of the next day so that I could be calm quiet and looked after. It was horribly traumatic and I feel for you.

I to had lots of support from MN and in particular the antenatal tests/choices forum.

Look after yourself for the next few days and get lots of rest. Paracetemol helped with the pain, but sleep was the best tonic.

I'm now 19 weeks, results were all clear.

Good luck. xx

RosaBambina Thu 21-Mar-13 11:48:49

Thanks everyone your amazing! This was the first time I posted anything on a forum and the positive response is overwhelming.

Just had the CVS done, it wasn't painful when they put the needle in but am in lots of pain now... Ouch. Bed for the rest of the day, definitely! Xx

scratchandsniff Thu 21-Mar-13 03:36:59

A friend of mine had first baby at 30 and was given 1:13 chance of Downs. She went on to have a baby boy who is absolutely fine. Good luck.

ChairmanWow Thu 21-Mar-13 03:32:45

Good luck for today. You have a very strong chance of everything being fine, both in terms of the risk of Downs and miscarriage. Hope all goes well for you thanks

notnagging Thu 21-Mar-13 02:34:29

I don't think these tests are as accurate as they seem. They put so much stress on you when pregnancy is hard enough. Can I ask why you chose to have them if you thought you were low risk? I didn't have them because I would not abort if the test came back as high risk downs. As others have said it may not happen & what would you do if it does?

Newmum2013 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:56:57

Sending lots of luck your way. X

AuntPepita Wed 20-Mar-13 21:40:47

Yes seems to be the HCG, but other things can affect it.

I had an amino and it wasn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable. Good luck tomorrow x

wifey6 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:35:50

No personal experience of this, but wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow thanks

LikeCandy Wed 20-Mar-13 21:30:50

Rosa wishing you the best for tomorrow - I don't have any personal experience of advice to give but this blog is one of the loveliest things I have ever read - about a Mum whose baby was born (unexpectedly) with Down's syndrome.
Be strong flowers

Christelle2207 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:19:06

Best of luck and concentrate in the strong odds in your favour x

NewChoos Wed 20-Mar-13 21:17:23

Best of luck to you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now