Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm scared, 1 in 10 Chance of my baby having Downs Syndrome, CVS appointment tomorrow...

(37 Posts)
RosaBambina Wed 20-Mar-13 19:36:57

Hi Ladies,

I'm 22 and having my first baby, but after a combined screening at 13 weeks, have been put in the "high risk" category, with my little one having a 1 in 10 chance of Downs Syndrome.

I'm now 14 weeks. I have an appointment for a CVS test tomorrow, but am seriously scared about miscarrying afterwards, or finding out that the baby might have something wrong, or be in for a difficult life.

Its all really shocking as I am only 22 so the risk SHOULD be low, wasn't at all expecting this. Any advice for a very worried, scared mummy? xxx

Coconutty Wed 20-Mar-13 19:38:20

I haven't got any advice or experience but want to send you a big hug and say hope it goes okay tomorrow x

RosaBambina Wed 20-Mar-13 19:50:23

Thanks very much Coconutty xxx

ExpatAl Wed 20-Mar-13 19:54:01

I don't have any experience but I'm so sorry you have this worry. I think the risk of miscarriage is very low. Wishing you all the best.

SheepNoisesOff Wed 20-Mar-13 19:56:24

I don't have any particular advice but I just want to say - remember that means that there's a 90% chance that your baby WON'T have Down Syndrome. Wishing you all the best for tomorrow with a very un-Mumsnetty hug.

3littlewomen Wed 20-Mar-13 19:56:35

hi Rosa, I had this happen with DS1. I was 23, expecting my risk to be low and it came back 1:12. I was very shocked and upset, went on to have an amnio (the thought of it was much worse then the actual test).

The hard part was waiting for the results... DS is now a strapping 16yo teenager, perfect in everyway smile

AuntPepita Wed 20-Mar-13 19:56:41

I had a totally unexpected 1 in 3 for DS. My boy is now nearly two and snuggled down fast asleep, totally (chromosomally) normal. The odds are still in your favour. What were your figures? Hcg, papp-a and nuchal measurement?

carameldecaflatte Wed 20-Mar-13 20:00:09

So sorry that you have this worry.

I had high odds from my great age so different circumstances but I have had 2 cvs tests and they were uncomfortable throughout and a bit painful for about 15 seconds. Take some paracetamol an hour/30 minutes before. It will help. And although they said to just take it easy I spent the rest of the day in bed and the rest of the week taking it easy.

None of which helps with the worry sad

WipsGlitter Wed 20-Mar-13 20:00:26

Hello Rosa, this must be a very hard time. Age isone of the factors in having a baby with DS, but more young women than older women have babies with downs.

The risk if miscarriage is very low and I think the procedure is ok.

I have a son with Downs,diagnosed at birth, it was a very, very dark time. But it wasn't the end if the world. Three years on and he's the light of my life. It's different from having a child that's 'normal' but its a good different.

elfycat Wed 20-Mar-13 20:01:13

My friend with a 1:3 chance had all the tests (no complications) and then went onto have a non-Downs baby.

I hope it all goes well for you tomorrow. It goes without saying that the tests and possible results are terrifying, but there's a 90% chance of a negative result and the tests are the safest they've ever been.

Best wishes for tomorrow.

massagegirl Wed 20-Mar-13 20:08:20

Good luck. My odds were 1:12, amnio was all clear. I know what a horribly scary and emotional time it is. Fingers crossed for you tomorrow xx

RosaBambina Wed 20-Mar-13 21:13:58

Thanks so much for all the support ladies, greatly appreciated at this nerve-wracking time.

My results for the combined screening were:

Bhcg: 266.5 (7.57)
NT: 2.8 (1.57)
Papp-a: 2046 (0.66)

Looks like my pregnancy hormone, bhcg, is really going crazy there.

It's all in the doctors hands now, not looking forward to tomorrow. Xxx

NewChoos Wed 20-Mar-13 21:17:23

Best of luck to you x

Christelle2207 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:19:06

Best of luck and concentrate in the strong odds in your favour x

LikeCandy Wed 20-Mar-13 21:30:50

Rosa wishing you the best for tomorrow - I don't have any personal experience of advice to give but this blog is one of the loveliest things I have ever read - about a Mum whose baby was born (unexpectedly) with Down's syndrome.
Be strong flowers

wifey6 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:35:50

No personal experience of this, but wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow thanks

AuntPepita Wed 20-Mar-13 21:40:47

Yes seems to be the HCG, but other things can affect it.

I had an amino and it wasn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable. Good luck tomorrow x

Newmum2013 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:56:57

Sending lots of luck your way. X

notnagging Thu 21-Mar-13 02:34:29

I don't think these tests are as accurate as they seem. They put so much stress on you when pregnancy is hard enough. Can I ask why you chose to have them if you thought you were low risk? I didn't have them because I would not abort if the test came back as high risk downs. As others have said it may not happen & what would you do if it does?

ChairmanWow Thu 21-Mar-13 03:32:45

Good luck for today. You have a very strong chance of everything being fine, both in terms of the risk of Downs and miscarriage. Hope all goes well for you thanks

scratchandsniff Thu 21-Mar-13 03:36:59

A friend of mine had first baby at 30 and was given 1:13 chance of Downs. She went on to have a baby boy who is absolutely fine. Good luck.

RosaBambina Thu 21-Mar-13 11:48:49

Thanks everyone your amazing! This was the first time I posted anything on a forum and the positive response is overwhelming.

Just had the CVS done, it wasn't painful when they put the needle in but am in lots of pain now... Ouch. Bed for the rest of the day, definitely! Xx

EwokStorageUnit Thu 21-Mar-13 13:13:39

Hi Rosa Bambina,

I hope that you feel better soon. I had similar blood results and opted for a CVS, which wasn't available on the NHS in my area so travelled to London.

I took my mum with me and I stayed with her for the evening and the majority of the next day so that I could be calm quiet and looked after. It was horribly traumatic and I feel for you.

I to had lots of support from MN and in particular the antenatal tests/choices forum.

Look after yourself for the next few days and get lots of rest. Paracetemol helped with the pain, but sleep was the best tonic.

I'm now 19 weeks, results were all clear.

Good luck. xx

musicmaiden Thu 21-Mar-13 13:29:57

My DS was 1:13 due to a massive NT measurement so I had the CVS at 14 weeks.
He is chromosomally normal too, FWIW. I found positive stories on mumsnet about this heartening to read during my wait for results, so I hope you do too.
The whole thing is frightening and really kills the excitement for a bit, but yes, consider your 90% odds of all being well, too, and you will know for certain thanks to the test. Really look after yourself over the next couple of days.
Fingers crossed all is well - best of luck.

Coconutty Fri 22-Mar-13 06:24:32

Hope you're feeling okay today, rose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now